Search
Register
Please Kill Me: The Uncensored Oral History of Punk
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Awww mn

Please Kill Me: The Uncensored Oral History of Punk  Reply with quote  

i just finished reading this REALLY entertaining book on the history of punk. it's excellent and very very funny..and i recommend it even if you aren't a fan of the music. it's 444 pages of just snippets of interviews from everyone (lou reed, iggy, deedee, blah blah) and it's a very easy read, telling it chronologically from its early velvets roots to its "momentum slowdown" in the Reagan era.

there's a couple of sad (junkiedom) and cringeworthy (vomit and blood) moments as well. but i think what fascinated me is how all of this stuff was happening and the six-degrees of seperation is something i marvel at.

1) Bob Dylan penning a song for Nico
2) Miles Davis being in the audience seeing The Stooges perform and getting BLED ON from openwounds Iggy Pop and saying "I like the Stooges. They're original."
3) William Burroughs digging on Television and Patti Smith.
4) MC5 being the only band to play the the 1968 Chicago Democratic Convention Riots.
5) the road manager for Parliament turned the Stooges onto horse. who knew what sad junkie demons he would create later on, eh.

my favorite is Iggy telling about how he wanted to be really confrontational when he performed and how he got that idea from seeing a gross and drunk Jim Morrison play at the University of Michigan. So for the stooges first performance, Iggy decides to bleach his hair and shave all his eyebrows off. Then about 10 minutes into the show he starts sweating and realizes that's what ya need eyebrows for. So his eyes became so swollen with oil and glitter.

The chapter on The Stooges ends when they're at the peak of their junkiedom, and the manager Danny Fields gets a call from the police that The Stooges had just driven a 14-ft truck under a 13-ft bridge in Ann Arbor.

so yeah, it's got action too.

Last edited by Awww mn on Tue Dec 31, 2002 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Tue Dec 31, 2002 12:04 pm
August Spies

as a side comment, nothing bothers me more than how all mainstream "histories of punk" end at the Sex Pistols or at best black flag era. Thing didn't even get interesting until after the sex pistols/clash were through
Post Tue Dec 31, 2002 12:26 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Awww mn

Quote:

Thing didn't even get interesting until after the sex pistols/clash were through
\

that's a bold statement. please elaborate.

and i think you should read this book. and listen to how Wayne Kramer tells it. i think being advanced opon by a sea of police wielding batons and riot gear is most certainly "interesting".
Post Tue Dec 31, 2002 12:33 pm
Awww mn

anyway. i think i know what yr. referring to. fugazi, bad brains, mission of burma, etc...that's all good and stuff, but this book is the HISTORY of it and talks about it's awkward roots. pre-punk, new york, UK. history is the operative word.
Post Tue Dec 31, 2002 12:35 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

so that's what eyebrows are for.

I very much look forward to reading this book.

I feel priveledged to have played the same festival as Iggy Pop and Wayne Kramer (who actually gave some very positive comments on my performance on his website.)

How punk am I now, mom?
Post Tue Dec 31, 2002 12:47 pm
Awww mn

Quote:

I feel priveledged to have played the same festival as Iggy Pop and Wayne Kramer (who actually gave some very positive comments on my performance on his website.)

GET OUT!

where's the link, pop? there's another 6-degrees of seperation that has me going Whaaa?
Post Tue Dec 31, 2002 1:12 pm
Awww mn

wow!  Reply with quote  

nevermind i found it.

http://www.waynekramer.com/report-07-24-01.shtml

needless to say, sage. i'm amazed.
Post Tue Dec 31, 2002 1:13 pm
duck_shoe

Another good read is Sniffin' Glue...it's all 12 issues of the legendary British punk zine from 1976-77 with commentary 20 years later from the people responsible for putting it together.
Post Tue Dec 31, 2002 1:15 pm
Awww mn

i'll have to check it out. thanks duck, yeah Please Kill Me was actually compiled from LegsMcNeil that guy who coined the term "punk" and co-founder of Punk Magazine who was like 18 at the time. They created the magazine because they thought they would get into shows and get free hamburgers anf free comics.

wayne kramer rockin it
Post Tue Dec 31, 2002 1:26 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

I was actually exchanging emails with Wayne Kramer for a while.

Sad thing is, I still don't have much of a clue about MC5
Post Tue Dec 31, 2002 3:00 pm
August Spies

like I said, it was a side comment. Not about this book in particular, which I have not read. Im sure it is interesting.
Post Tue Dec 31, 2002 3:17 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ObliO

mc5 is great

I used to listen to lots of crass, crumbsuckers, germs, stooges, DNA, television, big black, i think the guy from misson of burma is deaf...maybe i'm wrong though.

The residents are one of my all time favorites...they can be so irritating but never got tossed in the same pen as the early no wave punk kids.

www.dreadnots.com
Post Tue Dec 31, 2002 4:21 pm
Awww mn

Motor City 5  Reply with quote  

sage, MC5 was kind of crazy. they were young thuggy, dirt poor hoodlums from Detroit who played really loud LOUD guitar music that would later spawn punk and hard rock. They called themselves the White Panthers to be the white allies on the side of the Black Panthers and we're supposedly all about "revolution" and the "fuck authority" mentality, but even though the detroit chapter of the Black Panthers kicked it with the MC5 and liked them alot, i don't think anyone took them seriously because they were young and liked to party alot.

jesuscrutch, i like all those bands you named with the exception of crumbsuckers. steve albini rock my world. and Roger Miller from Mission of Burma has tinnitus, so he's not deaf and he still rocks live and plays like he's 22.
Post Tue Dec 31, 2002 4:51 pm
August Spies

I think it the head of MC5 was just the leader of the White Panthers and MC5 was the black/white panther house band.

tehre were a lot more white panthers than just the members of MC5 (im pretty sure)
Post Wed Jan 01, 2003 12:35 am
amo1ne

funny how people not hip to the culture always seem really surprised that a "rapper" can be smart and entertaining. theyre never just like, yeah hes a talented artist, he rocked.. like if it were a general aspect of performing any music. anyways thats still damn cool that you got props from iggy pop though. peace..
Post Wed Jan 01, 2003 12:55 am

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next