Search
Register
Texas, death penalty - sharing interesting things I found.
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

Petrouchka Rasputin

http://www-pps.aas.duke.edu/dpn/spring00/blum.html

I found many other articles with references to studies that said that the average execution costs upwards of two million dollars, and the average life sentence less than a million, but none of them named the studies or provided any citation.

Can anyone find any of the studies that contradict this?
Post Sat Dec 28, 2002 6:14 pm
tim

I love proof.
Post Sat Dec 28, 2002 6:34 pm
duke_city

timtablist wrote:
do you think trials are free? i certainly don't. take that $85 and add it to the court fees, death row, etc. c'mon man, you live in dallas. you should know this.

Yeah and you think the lifers get put away without a trial?

Trials occur in both sceanrios when an execuation occurs all appeals are no longer applicable and there is no cost to maintain the prisoner.

Brian
Post Sat Dec 28, 2002 6:53 pm
Yossarian

Dear Texas,

If you want to lower the cost that the prison system is shoving on the taxpayers, why don't you start by fixing some problems you already have. Murderers and rapists are being given parole and let out to make room for the 1st time, non-violent, no-parole drug offenders. Your prison systems are already dangerously overcrowded and you offer to take prisoners off other states for a hefty price. I could go on for a long time about how stupid your policies are, but I'd rather do something productive, like touch myself.

sincerely,
common sense
Post Sat Dec 28, 2002 7:06 pm
tim

dallasbboy wrote:

Yeah and you think the lifers get put away without a trial?

wow. i am speechless.
Post Sat Dec 28, 2002 7:11 pm
MessiahCarey

Yossarian wrote:
Dear Texas,

If you want to lower the cost that the prison system is shoving on the taxpayers, why don't you start by fixing some problems you already have. Murderers and rapists are being given parole and let out to make room for the 1st time, non-violent, no-parole drug offenders. Your prison systems are already dangerously overcrowded and you offer to take prisoners off other states for a hefty price. I could go on for a long time about how stupid your policies are, but I'd rather do something productive, like touch myself.

sincerely,
common sense

Hahahahaha. Apples and oranges, but an excellent side note.

Now - my numbers prove nothing they're way too limited. The sense that I DID make out of it was that states with the death penalty SEEM to have a steadier (not better or worse, STEADIER) violent crime rate.

There are a million moral reasons against the death penalty - I just think numbers are fun (sometimes).

However, anyone that can possibly say flat out that NOBODY deserves to be put to death obviously hasn't met some of the people I have. There are some truly horrifying people out there. I just don't think that our legal system is efficient enough to do it properly at this point. To me it seems like the kind of thing we should put on hold until we fix other problems, y'know?

- Shane
Post Sun Dec 29, 2002 9:03 am
MessiahCarey

Re: i think  Reply with quote  

FireFly wrote:
My point is, there are other ways of reducing the cost of the 'justice' system then killing off a few dozen every year.

Woah...hadn't seen that. Excellent point.

- Shane
Post Sun Dec 29, 2002 9:04 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2