Search
Register
Sage in Paris
View previous topic | View next topic >

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Strange Famous Forum > Old Shows. Come meet the ghost of performance past.

dorkasaurus

belgium is famous for three things: waffles, the diamond industry and van damme..... and he defected. oooh!

and you can't claim van eyck or van der weyden because belgium wasn't called belgium until 1790 (united states of belgium, hmm that's sounds very similar to the name of another country.....)
Post Wed Dec 18, 2002 9:36 pm
ricki ringerz

...  Reply with quote  

and thats not even true.. its 1830

but whatever.. u forgot beer, chocolat and the saxophone.
just to be complete here.
Post Wed Dec 18, 2002 11:46 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Eveline...defend your country already!

and then lets end this because I happen to think both Belgiam and American assholes are fantastic
Post Thu Dec 19, 2002 12:16 am
dorkasaurus

Re: ...  Reply with quote  

ricki ringerz wrote:
and thats not even true.. its 1830

but whatever.. u forgot beer, chocolat and the saxophone.
just to be complete here.

1830 is when belgium was officially recognized as an independent country. i was referring to when the belgians rebelled against their austrian rulers following their french homies in 1798 and first declared themselves belgian.

this is shocking. you have a lot in common apparently with americans, namely your lack of knowlege regarding your own history.
Post Thu Dec 19, 2002 2:49 am
dorkasaurus

but to clear things up i was not really trying (too hard) to be insulting when i said "ta mere est belge." when i saw that tobyne was from belgium i was reminded of some book of fun french phrases. it had all these insults in french, but they were silly, more jokes than anything. and one of the french insults was ta mere est belge. i thought it was random and funny to be included with various insults like you have the ass of a baboon or you have camel breath.

anywho, i meant no harm and i honestly didn't think that anyone would really take it seriously. i thought it was so funny tobyne did that i had to run with it, for a while.

alles klar?
Post Thu Dec 19, 2002 3:04 am
tobyne

Jeez, I'd never thought my response would trigger so many posts.

"I remember I saw a Belgian once.
I cried.
Just like the first time I saw drugs"

Haahahaaaaaaa, Sage, you jerk!

Now Dorky (I'm sorry to abbreviate your name, I'm just too stupid to spell it in all its glory), to come back to you.

"that figures, spoken like a true belgian. alas, alack!"

You have to admit that your response was rather predictable, but anyway.

You didn't mean any harm with your 'Ta mère est belge'. Fine, no hard feelings, but that's not my point.
Whenever I hear people say something stupid (and I'm not talking to you personally now), I feel the urge to respond.

"Belgians are dumb", "Dutch are stingy" Why? because your mummy and granny tell bad jokes about them?!?!? "I hate Germans" Why? because sixty years ago one lunatic brainwashed a nation? I'm always surprised by how many people give credence to such clichés without ever having met a person from the nations mentioned. And when you confront them with their prejudices they answer: "I don't have to meet them, I know their kind."

It seems that especially the British (if I'm allowed to generalise) have great difficulties with Belgium being a fairly clever and prosperous country. Recently an investigation has revealed that the British press systematically leaves the good things that happen in Belgium unmentioned (f.e. we have one of the best health and social services in the world and one of the most democratic and high-quality education systems; unlike other countries in the world which too are amalgams of different people with different cultural backgrounds and different languages, the Walloon and the Flemish have managed to bear one another's presence through compromise instead of war and killing one another) and talk about all the bad things at great length (f.e. Dutroux, corruptness, food contamination, ...). Why? Simply because believing Belgians are inferior gives the British more selfesteem. Till so far the investigation's results.

I don't know if all the above is true, but it might explain why some British men give a puzzled impression when finding out I'm from Belgium ("Belgium, so she must be dumb, how come she manages to speak my language?") OR one time when a shop assistant offered me to become a member of their shop in order to get a reduction, I responded: "Thank you, but it's no use as I don't live in London". "Well, you've got a nice accent, where are you from?" "From Belgium" and the conversation was abruptly ended with a short "Oh", which failed to hide his disappointment. Funny!

If I want to be completely accurate, I should let you know that 'Belgium' wasn't first mentioned in 1790, but way earlier. In 50 B.C. Julius Caesar described the 'Belgae' ('Belgae' wasn't a country, of course, but an illiterate tribe living around Brussels) in his manuscript 'De Bello Gallico'. He wrote: "Horum omnium fortissimi sunt belgae". In other words: "Of all the people (he fought to expand the Roman Empire), the Belgians are the bravest". I admit, being brave doesn't mean being clever. And probably Caesar didn't intend to flatter us, but just wanted to gain more fame and standing by stressing that the war was extremely hard and difficult, of course, we prefer to forget this and blindly cling to the fact that we are incredibly brave.

I don't see why we can't claim Van Eyck. True, Belgium didn't exist in those days, but he was Flemish and Flanders is a part of Belgium now. The same as for Rubens and Van Dyck, they lived in the 17th century, no sign of Belgium then. But they lived in Antwerp, the city where I live now.

To finish the list of things Belgium is know for: Tintin, Hercule Poirot, Magritte, James Ensor, Kim Clijsters, Justine Henin, Victor Horta, Eddy Merckx, Jacques Brel, French (?!, they're not French at all) fries

I'd like to end with a classic Belgian joke:

A Belgian driver approaches a low bridge in a four-meter truck.
"Watch out," says his mate, "the sign says 'max height three meters'."
"No problem," says the driver. "There aren't any cops."

I think I've already written too much. I just wanted to say I pity prejudiced people, no matter which nation they mock.[/quote]
Post Fri Dec 20, 2002 10:10 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

I don't know how the rest of the Belgium people are, but Tobyne (Eveline) wins over every person I have ever seen her come across. Hats off to you and your persuit of fairness and truth.

But lets keep this cat fight less intellectual and more muddy. thanks.
Post Sat Dec 21, 2002 8:10 am
ricki ringerz

...  Reply with quote  

i couldn't defend belgians with the fire u do.. i don't know what to say
Post Sat Dec 21, 2002 1:30 pm
dorkasaurus

Sage Francis wrote:

But lets keep this cat fight less intellectual and more muddy. thanks.

seriously. i think a sense of humor would help, but it appears that tobyne is without one. you're supposed to use sweeping generalizations and stereotypes against americans. come on, it's no fun if you respond in such a dignified manner. hit below the belt.
Post Sat Dec 21, 2002 4:47 pm
tobyne

hahahaaaaaaa, you're funny !!
Post Sat Dec 21, 2002 5:49 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

"hit below the belt."

that's exactly what I'm talking about.

Smack it up, flip it, rub it down.
Post Sat Dec 21, 2002 7:43 pm
dorkasaurus

oh noooooooo!!!!
Post Sun Dec 22, 2002 2:25 pm

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2