Search
Register
Stories from Sage's Shows
View previous topic | View next topic >

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Strange Famous Forum > Old Shows. Come meet the ghost of performance past.

crushwhore

every sage show i have ever seen (and i've seen a few) has been absolutely incredible -- entertaining, heartfelt, emotional, inspiring, funny... a real hiphop experience.
whenever i am trying to turn people on to indie hip-hop, i take them to see sage. it works every time.

i hate it when he falls off the chair though. scary. but the fact that he doesn't miss a word despite falling through the air and hitting the floor is incredibly impressive :)
Post Sat Dec 14, 2002 5:20 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
futuristxen

I like when he was in new orleans for the personal journeys tour(shalem's birthday!) and we couldn't find any common place for everyone to yell about during bounce--Sage was like "what's up to my metaire heads?" and everyone just kind of sat there. There was like a 5 minute conversation in which it was decided that boston was wack. And we all cheered to "fuck boston" or something like that.

Oh and at that same show, these two people in front of me that were in the front row, this guy and girl, and the girl was talking to the guy about burning some of sage's stuff while he was standing right there performing. And Sage stopped and went off on a little rant that was very funny. Sage doesn't just move the crowd, he interacts with the crowd better than anyone I've seen. A whole lotta fun.
Post Sat Dec 14, 2002 5:26 pm
vreja

i recall pooping my pants when sole slug and sage were finishing up the anticonquistadors show in minneaps with a freestyle set and sage was the only one who could keep flowing with the beat when it was sped up more and more..

then when i tried to buy his gold chains off of him at the relatively recent spoken word performance at stout.. overall good person. i give him a 10. heard that show was amazing.
Post Sat Dec 14, 2002 6:16 pm
bentoucour

Re: Stories from Sage's Shows  Reply with quote  

Last friday (12/13/02), I saw Sage in Paris, France, on a boat called "La Guinguette Pirate" [yes, we have that kind of crazy stuff over there]. I only knew his albums... Well, this show was AWESOME!
His performance went far beyond what I have seen before in a hip-hop show. He was crazier than I ever could have thought. Starting laid down on the floor, then sitting on a chair waiting for ??... now he's playing the fool with a wig, a dirty tie and the mike, standing on that chair and getting down slowly, he stops... the cheering of th crowd... "don't love me 'cause I'm an american" he started blushing... Suddenly, the slam begins the american authorities are blamed and the "makeshift patriot" opens the musical show... it is followed by a more personal song ("the rewrite")... the is launched, the show never stops, it works perfectly. We also had some extra, but I think it was because the "sneaking out" option was not available at the end of "runaways" - the exit door was not easily reachable for the narcissist...
Eventhough only a few people could perfectly get the meaning of his lyrics and speach ('cause we're not english native speaker you know), there was a great interaction between the audience and the uncommonly talented motherfucking american. In the whole, the show was more intense than any other one I experienced before... maybe because it was in an overcrowed room from a boat, pitching...

Sage Francis, reviens-nous vite !!

duck_shoe wrote:
Unlike alot of you, some of us Sage fans have never seen him live; he just doesn't come up to Canada enough. I've always thought that a Sage show would be up in my top 10 if I ever got to experience it, but lately I've been hearing people say it's disappointing, one person going as far as to say it was the worst hip-hop show he'd ever been to(then again, same guy said he had no mic presence or flow) So I'd like to hear what makes it so great, in part because I'm curious and in part because if I'm going to plan a road trip to see Sage in NYC or Michigan I want to be sure it'll be worthwhile....so some stories of memorable moments and such would be great.
Post Sat Dec 14, 2002 7:30 pm
Bandini
WIZARD APPRENTICE

Sage came to my college with Atmosphere. I had never heard of him before, and when he got on stage I thought he had very strange hair (it was a wig). It took me a few minutes to get into it, but then I thought that he was only of the greatest performers I had ever seen. I was completely bored with Atmosphere's set after that. He's one of those artists that you always want to see, and that will make you smile and feel ok to act like a weirdo. He always keeps it interesting.

Sage - you shouldn;t open for anyone, out of respect for them.
Post Sat Dec 14, 2002 8:03 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Moolah

I saw him when he came to Sydney.

It opened with the Aussie Skippaz dancing on stage, and singing some song about, um, being slurries or something.

The entire crowd, except for people who check this message board were confused as hell.

Then he came on, with some background propaganda stuff (does anyone know what it is from), it was very 1984-esque. He also had a bouquet of brocooli, that he kept bashing into his head, and giving pieces to the crowd. I was only slightly familiar with Sage, so I was pretty damn weirded out, but this could not compare to the wierded outness of my friends that I dragged along, who kept looking at me as if to say, "what the fuck have you brought us to". Ha

But all was well when the music started, Sage totally killed it, the whole crowd was in awe. The most impressive piece was "hopeless", but it was all good. Best show of my life.

I got the impression that Sage is without a doubt, the coolest person ever. No fears, super confident, funny, dope rapper etc. I was pretty suprised to hear of social phobias and the like.

Then I bought "Still sick....urine trouble" (signed), and "Sick of Waging War" and giggled like a school girl for a couple of days.
Post Sun Dec 15, 2002 12:35 am
duck_shoe

More from the peanut gallery:"I saw him 4 months ago, which means he has already released several albums, gotten critical acclaim by hiphopinfinity.com calling him the #1 emcee, and his show was FAR from being packed.

In fact, I'd say there were no more than 100 people there. He didn't even have a dam DJ throwing down beats for him. He had a prerecorded tape or something of the beats for the songs he was going to do. When each song finished and he wanted to address the crowd, he had to walk over and stop the tape himself. How goddemn ghetto is that??!

Yeah, he's built up a following. But he obviously hasn't built MUCH of a following if he can't afford to put on a decent show that attracts only 100 people or less.

So maybe that following he's built isn't all deserved, eh?
Maybe his reputation has all been built on the internet, by skinny, 16 year old suburban kids with pimples all over, who don't even BUY Sage's cd's. They just download them, say how good Sage is all over the net and never actually find out what a GOOD hip-hop show can be like."

Damn Sage, did you run over his cat or something? Dude just plain hates you...

Side note: because of this guys criticism, I've decided to take the trip south of the border to see Sage myself. It looks like I'm making the long trip to Detroit...
Post Sun Dec 15, 2002 2:57 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

again I ask...what show is he talking abut.

WHERE

I have plenty of things to say to this guy but I'm guessing it would all fall on deaf ears anyway.

Someone who can attract a crowd of at least 100 people in cities all over the world, without ANY label support, is doing pretty well for himself.

thanks
Post Sun Dec 15, 2002 3:29 am
duck_shoe

So this brings me to my next question: do you have any idea how many of your shows sell out in advance? I just want to make sure that I'm not going to drive for almost an entire day only to find that the show is sold out...
Post Sun Dec 15, 2002 3:33 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Well if it's the tour with Gruvis you are going to attend, it'll probably be wise to get tickets in advance.

and bring your messageboard friend with you...because I want to know how HIPHOP he'll think I am with a live band behind playing punk music. hahaa

But uhhhh...how about you tell me where the show was that he is talking about

This kid is making me wonder now. To be honest, I make it a practice to fuck with people during my show if it seems like they have an attitude with me. And I fuck with them hard. And I can imagine it sends many of them off into an unending dissing spree every time they get a chance to shit on my name or the show. But while I was busy slapping your boy in the face, I can assure you the rest of the crowd was loving it

Last edited by Sage Francis on Sun Dec 15, 2002 3:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Sun Dec 15, 2002 3:41 am
tardy22

Saw him in Ann Arbor last year. First he did a poetry thing at some campus building, then his show at the club. Great show,great stage presence. Proabaly the 2nd best hip hop show next to the Roots that I have been to.
Post Sun Dec 15, 2002 3:42 am
Couille De Gnou

duck_shoe wrote:
Damn Sage, did you run over his cat or something? Dude just plain hates you...

Well, no, this guy is absolutely right about a Sage Francis show...
Apart from the fact that he misses 95% of it when he limits his view to stage occupation, and the fact that what he considers as bad points are actually genius when enacted by Sage...
Post Sun Dec 15, 2002 4:05 am
maxamillion

Sage performed in Holland last week and I told alot of people who are not into hip hop to come see the show and unlike most times when they see some hip hop they're like it's ok but after seeing Sage perform even the biggest rockers where loving him.

And even I who allready loved Sage fell in love again, it was like our second honeymoon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post Mon Dec 16, 2002 8:26 am
nOnamEjameS

Quote:

memorable moments? the time he stood on chair during makeshift patriot and fell through it. that was a good one.

hahahahaha, that had to be one of the funniest things I've ever seen, and what made it better was he didn't miss a beat and kept rhyming, also when the cord kept falling out of the back of the mic, jeez, I miss my Sage shows[/list]
Post Tue Dec 17, 2002 12:48 pm
Reggie

I saw AOI perform in NYC at a wack club called The Elbow Room. The Elbow Room is one of those all-access bar/clubs that is a rite of passage for all NY bands. AOI was the headliner, I forget who else played but they were terrible. Then when AOI finally got on, EVERYONE left and there were maybe 8 people in the whole place. So I stood near the front.
Post Tue Dec 17, 2002 1:03 pm

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next