Search
Register
I was attacked by the socialite PC mob today...
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

stffuyaysb

I was attacked by the socialite PC mob today...  Reply with quote  

Yo, I'm new here, just seems like this board is pretty rad, so I'll post a few times maybe.

Anyway, on with the tale of woe.

Yesterday was International AIDS Awareness day. They 'celebrated' it today in school by -once again- passing around needles with red ribbons on them. Then they give out these little pieces of paper describing their movement to help create awareness in everyone about AIDS in my school in Maine (not exactly the most ethnically diverse population to say the least *cough*96% white*cough*.) First, I got to watch everyone throw out their pieces of paper, and attatch the ribbons to their shirts, without reading the note. Then, I watched in horror as the people on the AIDS committee, instead of going further and actually making an attempt to educate others, started to talk about who was going out with whom, and who was taking whom to the winter formal dance. So I chose not to wear a ribbon.

Why? I'll tell you.

I care about these people, ANY people, who are suffering, to the extent that I sacrifice as much as I can mentally and emotionally to helping at least ease the tension and help educate some people. Yes, not everyone can be saved, but that doesn't mean I don't need to help anyone I can. I care about people who live with the constant threat of AIDS their entire lives every single day of the year. I think about these people. And yet, as I walk by their "informational table" near the cafeteria, I am heckled and attacked by several members of the table. Well okay, I guess I was asking for trouble. I stopped and looked at some of their pamphlets. Herein is the conversation that took place (I'm in italics):

"HEY! WHY aren't you wearing a ribbon?"
"I view AIDS as population control." (Okay, I admit that this wasn't the best way to try and have an enlightening conversation with someoen of reasonable intelligence, but I was only kidding, as you'll soon see.)
"He did not just say that."
"I'm sorry, I was kidding. I choose not to wear a ribbon because I don't need to wear a piece of fabric to make sure others know where my allegiances lie when helping others."
"Every day more than 25 people die of AIDS [let us hope she means the US alone..] and half of the people with AIDS are born with it, and they have no idea they grow up with it. You need to wear a ribbon to show sympathy for those who grow up with this tragic epidemic. You need to let them know that you take one day out of your life to care for them."
"So what about the other 50%?"
"What?"
"You know, the other half not born with AIDS that contract it from sexual intercourse and needle sharing, among other methods."
"Well they are a problem too."
"They're a problem? I thought they were the victims of this."
"Yes, they are, people don't show their support and don't try to educate everyone on the problems of AIDS and why it's so deadly. People in other countries grow up not knowing that AIDS is even affecting them."
"I see, well what do you suggest?"
"Wear a ribbon."
"You misunderstand, what do you suggest we should do about this problem?"
"Educate people, and provide them with alternatives."
"I see, well I for one support the production and distribution of condoms wholesale and freely to 'developing countries' as they're called, third-world countries with these problems. But US foreign policy at this juncture in time is against providing humanitarian aid to countries with such 'safe-sex' alternatives. If a country provides condoms to its people free of charge, they don't get money or food or medication. Trojanz condoms recently moved to Canada to manufacture its latex products because they could not export the condoms from the US without high fees and tariffs, set in place to prevent such "un-taxed, unethical" distribution of health care."
"You're just trying to start problems Tom." (It was at this point I recognized her from my latin class a year ago.)
"Also, what about needle use? Here in America, people who use needles for intraveneous drugs cannot acquire needles without a perscription. Politicians believe that stopping the sale of clean needles will curb the use of illegal narcotics. Unfortunately, this only means that drug users will turn to dirty needles and sharing, dangerous to say the least. I'm sure you know the implications of what I'm saying [at least I hope she did.. she didn't], people will keep doing these drugs, and stopping the sale of needles is not the way to stop the use. This is not the time for a debate about drug criminal law, so let it be said that pressure must be applied to the people in Washington and in our capital to start finding alternatives to abstinance programs in moral choices."
"Tom you need to wear a pin. You're saying that you're selfish and don't care about people if you don't."
"How about this, I continue caring about these people, as I do everyday, 365 days a year, well you guys continue celebrating 'days' and anniversaries, and changing your cause every other week becuase someone on MTV decided to do something cool for someone who's being opressed."
"So you won't wear a pin? You're a bastard and you're wasting my time."
"Quite. Fare thee well, I must away."

Ugh, the PC fascists strike again.

-Tom
Post Mon Dec 02, 2002 2:50 pm
gerhupsom vanbone

Wow I thought there was more diversity than that in this state.

Wierd
Post Mon Dec 02, 2002 3:00 pm
Reggie

Haha, that's pretty dope. You should have told her, "See, I've been nice since you had to put ya hat in ya sleeve/ and break arms like Segal, don't wear ya heart on ya sleeve."

The whole pinning AIDS/Breast Cancer/patriot/etc. ribbons to your lapel thing always seemed awfully similar to the armbands that Nazis made their "undesirables" wear prior to WWII, right down to the color coordination.
Post Mon Dec 02, 2002 3:00 pm
August Spies

interesting, think you brought up some good points> Although I don't think PC is the label that needs to be used here...
Post Mon Dec 02, 2002 3:01 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
stffuyaysb

Yea, I'm sketchy on the title of my thread. It's insignificant, but they're selecting their cause in a PC-like manner, correct? Trying to care about everyone, affirmative action, blah blah blah, but what they're doing rarely helps at all, causes more racial and ethnic tension by saying "look, they're different!" (www.blackpeopleloveus.com is a good example although a satire, tell me if that link is broken) and sometimes causes more problems. Case in point, the people in third-world countries they're trying to save are the ones that manufactured those new nikes and abercrombie shirts they all had on at the table (yea, they color- and clothing-coordinated. To the poster who drew a parallel with Nazi Germany, it's looking more and more like it every day.)

-Tom
Post Mon Dec 02, 2002 3:07 pm
prolifik

Que interesante. You were able to perfectly rehash that conversation verbatim. Well, perhaps you took notes.
Post Mon Dec 02, 2002 3:17 pm
Reggie

Nah, I think the real "politically correctness" fad came and went, but earnest world-changing diatribes and making social awareness into a club is something that will be alive on college campuses forever.
Post Mon Dec 02, 2002 3:21 pm
gerhupsom vanbone

The mark of the devil(profisied in revelation)?
Post Mon Dec 02, 2002 3:23 pm
stffuyaysb

prolifik - I have a good memory I suppose.

Reggie - Thanks, I stand somewhat corrected. College frightens me more and more every day.

And how can I be the devil if I use my powers for awesome?
Post Mon Dec 02, 2002 3:24 pm
gerhupsom vanbone

your not the devil.
the devil is the devil.
The mark of the devil is something that people will be forced to where on them someplace supposedly for good.

Im not going to get all religious on you people though.
Post Mon Dec 02, 2002 3:38 pm
August Spies

I think I can remember most conversationst like that almost word for word.
Post Mon Dec 02, 2002 3:41 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dee

What do you mean about Affirmative action being PC?
Post Mon Dec 02, 2002 3:48 pm
stffuyaysb

Affirmative action doesn't do what it's intended to do. By making people "more aware" of other cultures through mass media, it only acheives alienation of the specific group. It points them out and says "HEY LOOK AT ME IM SPECIAL WOOO!!" which isn't necessarily the best way to go. Just let everyone live their lives peacably I say, and let everyone express themselves and their roots as they deem fit. Not what someone on TV tells them to do.

But don't ask me, I'm just a white-bred honkey from New England.

-Tom
Post Mon Dec 02, 2002 4:22 pm
prolifik

Yes, Affirmative Action is part of the 10 Commandments in the PC handbook, but there are many different types of A.A. Most rational people agree that preferences and quotas based on race are retroactive, and could create backlash and/or a perpetuation of discrimination, but Affirmative Action that enlarges the pool of applicants is sound in every way. Instead of handing a less qualified applicant a job over somebody who is a better choice, this type of A.A. simply puts everybody on equal footing, and then fair job/school competition can proceed from there. In a society where the lower classes are entrenched in a cycle of poverty, substandard education, and few opportunities in life, Affirmative Action which levels the playing field is in my opinion, required.
Post Mon Dec 02, 2002 4:32 pm
sinista

i didn't know people still used the word "rad"

:D
Post Mon Dec 02, 2002 4:44 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next