Sage Francis interview wth (?) on 11/28/02
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Press/Interviews/reviews

Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Sage Francis interview wth (?) on 11/28/02  Reply with quote  

"First up, how are you today?"

I woke up at 5 AM because my dreams were just a little too strange. I am in
Germany right now. To be completely honest, I feel like absolute shit. I was more reclusive than normal yesterday, but the day before yesterday was great. I was in high spirits. I'm looking for more of
those days.

"Why 'sage'?"

I just love that word. It is one of the best 4 letter words in our language,
besides the obvious.

"Did you come up against much difficulty being a white rapper, like eminem goes
on about, or were you accepted immediately?"

Of course I was faced with a lot of adversity. That's a no-brainer. But it's
reasons like that that I was insired to push myself and kill reasonable doubt
from each crowd I performed in front of.

"How long have you been rhyming and battling?"

Rhyming for well over 10 years. Battling on and off for 10 years.

"What made you want to start rapping in the first place?"

It was fun and empowering. Exiting. I just wanted to do it.

"How did you get involved with anticon?"

Anticon was originally based in New England, which is where I am from.
Eventually we met up with each other and hit it off really well. Our music was
getting clumped together before there was an official relation though. We all
have roots in traditional hiphop...at the same time we feel it is necessary to
push ourselves as artists and contribute something to the music rather than just
doing what is "tried and true."

"Are there any collaborations on the way?"

There's an album I did with Buck 65 and DJ Signify called "Sleep No More" that should released around February. A couple songs with Atmosphere. That's all for now.

"What do you think about the more 'out-there' releases by people like cLOUDDEAD,
reaching quiet, and greenthink? Do you like them, or are they a bit too far-out?"

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It really depends what you're looking for in music though. the Themselves show was one of the best live shows I have ever seen. It was "out there" in a very good way. I don't listen to Reaching Quiet or Greenthink much, but that's because I am more into classic rock or classic rap.

"Whats happening with non-prophets?"

After 4 years of Joe and I working together, the album is finally coming to a close. It is called HOPE and I am recording the last of the songs within the next 2 months. I can't wait for this to hit the public. I hope it knocks the shit out of their floppy heads.

"You have a huge amount of wordplay, did you read the dictionary when you were
younger, or does it come naturally?"

Hell no. I used to fancy the idea though. The dictionary has become a great companion of mine over the last few years, but it has nothing to do with wordplay. I tried reading encyclopedias when I was very young because I thought it would be a short cut to great knoweldge. That practice lasted about a half hour.The only thing I read in 4th Grade was Superfudge and the White Mountains and I honestly haven't read much since then. I think my vocabulary and writing potential has suffered because of it. All I cared about was hiphop and ninjas. I am hitting the books more these days...catching up on a lot of what I may have missed out on in my youth.

"On personal journals, where do your lyrics come from, and do you write them down
before recording them?"

They come from my brain. I wrote most of it before I recorded it. I wrote some of it YEARS before I recorded it. SOME of it was improv in the studio. I use the word "studio" very loosely.

"What's your favourite snack?"

Chips and salsa or chocolate chip cookies.

"Do you have any interest in producing, or do you wanna leave it for others?"

Yes, I do have an interest in it. I always have my hands in the production. Production goes beyong making beats. As far as making beats, I used to get down on my Akai S50 til it got jacked from my car trunk. That put a damper on my production career, and it's probably for the better. I will be doing my own beats within good time...but I am smart enough to know that my production doesn't match up to my lyrics and I would rather not force the issue and make my songs suffer because of it.

"Do you have any lyrical, musical or world outlook influences outside of hip hop?"

Most of my influences currently exist outside of hiphop...thank God.
Post Thu Nov 28, 2002 1:33 pm
fanaticalpupil

Why do you use the word "studio" loosely? Are you recording on the road? If so, what kind of equipment do you have? If not, well, what kind of "studio" do you have?
Post Thu Nov 28, 2002 2:42 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

it was in Sole's aprtment. And it was a fucking mess of wires, dirt, analog tape, dusty buttons and trash
Post Thu Nov 28, 2002 3:15 pm
dense

i can't wait for the non-prophets album to knock the shit out of our floppy heads!.......
Post Thu Nov 28, 2002 4:09 pm
yournotyourfuckingtshirt

SUPERFUDGE!!!

lmao

what a great memory, that was the first book that i ever read cover to cover... i used to pray that shit happened to me and everything turned to chocolate.hahahahahah
Post Fri Nov 29, 2002 12:46 am
Cru Jones

remind me never to become an underground rap superstar so i never have to do sleezy interviews like that.
that was atrocious.
i feel bad for sage that he had to endure such un-thoughout questoins like that.

if it weren't for sage's ,unfortunately unaccesible to most, humor and charm that would have been the worst interview in history.

i, on the other hand, throughly enjoyed it.

hope the tour is treating you well Mr. Franklin.
Post Fri Nov 29, 2002 2:32 am
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

cru jones, shut up.
Post Fri Nov 29, 2002 11:30 am
Cru Jones

actually i'm typing, not talking.

and i was commenting on the fact that sage has had some really good interviews in the past and this one was simply under par.

look any type of new information about sage found out through an interview is good.
but the guy could have found all those answers out himself if he wanted.
i would not waste a great oppurtunity like he was given by asking questions that can be found on the artists website.

shutting up now sir.
Post Fri Nov 29, 2002 12:11 pm
excellrec

didn't you guys bug the neighbors recording in sole's apartment? I'm slowly building on the apartment studio round here but i'm afraid it all might get shut down if i decide not to hinder myself and do vocals and such at a volume that would let me emphasize each word fully, also, did you guys use an iso-booth? or just sit in the living room with the mic, i ask because it sounds pretty frickin good for an apartment setup i'd like to get quality but i bitch to much about constraints that i could probably work around.
Post Fri Nov 29, 2002 4:33 pm
Asterax

Where in New England? :)
Post Fri Nov 29, 2002 5:05 pm
Petrouchka Rasputin

I hear recording vocals in a closet works pretty well.
Post Fri Nov 29, 2002 5:19 pm
Tony@Beyond Space

no matter were your at somebody will bitch that its to loud, the dude down the street jams garth brooks so fucking loud you can hear it up and down the street but as soon as somebody hears "rap music" they call the cops or knock on your door and ruin a great studio session..

if you are worried about people complaining goto your local music store and you can buy enough shit to soundproof a whole room for $100 try www.marsmusic.com theres one in Cincinnati thats were we have bought everything for our studio nice people great service and they have knowledge about everything.
Post Fri Nov 29, 2002 10:43 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Jump to: