Search
Register
Good People Check: Is this really a diss track to Slug
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Dee

It doesn't neccessarily mean LITERALLY demanding it...what I mean is that they seem to think that what they are doing is intellectual and on some "next shit" when really it comes across as them thinking what they are doing is more than it is.
Post Thu Nov 21, 2002 8:29 pm
gerhupsom vanbone

Let um think it.

I like the music they make there the best in my opinion (the best is a universal statement and therefore cannot be proved). It makes me think about whatever and observe things more.

peace
Post Thu Nov 21, 2002 8:38 pm
amano

CFL wrote:
And these two camps obviously still have some issues with each other, even though I read over a year ago that everything is pretty much gravy...but then El's verse on "Same as it Never Was" (Weathermen - track 1 on Definitive Jux Presents 2) seems like a complete rehash thrashing of Sole, and the lines about "urban/inner city mentality" in "Constellation Funk" also indicate that these 2 crews are still just not happy with one another...

this was more about the influx of all of these ppl comin in thinkin they can rap and produce with condescending attitudes towards anything they don't deem as "intellectually advanced" or "introspective" while knowin nothing of the music or culture they're so quick to claim as their own.
Post Fri Nov 22, 2002 1:01 am
Soul Khansenses

Dude, contrary to what most would tell you, the Anticon heads grew up with hip hop. They may make music that doesn't appeal to you, but their "hip hop experience" is no less genuine than yours, mine, or Sage's.
Post Fri Nov 22, 2002 1:06 am
Soul Khansenses

Shit, I feel like I wasted my 400th post. It should have featured a picture of Godzilla sucking off Ted Koppel or something.
Post Fri Nov 22, 2002 1:08 am
duke_city

Re: ok  Reply with quote  

random_sample wrote:

so def jux didn't start up on their own? Rupert Murdock has nothing to do with def jux. That is EL-P's monster that he has created. And if you even start talking shit on Rawkus and Company Flow I know their is something wrong with you cats. If it wasn't for Company Flow and Rawkus with the movement five years ago, the "underground" scene wouldn't be as big.

Project Blowed and Dr. Octagon did more for "the undergorund" than Company Flow ever did.

random_sample wrote:

I was raised in the hip hop golden years of 84-91.

Really? cause you left out nearly 16 years of music that was a lot more innovative than what you listed.

Not listing even one of the albums below tells me you are a new jack is desguise of a old schooler.

Newcleus - Jam On Revenge
BDP - Criminal Minded
Ultramagnetic MCs - Critical Beatdown
Slick Rick - The Great Adventures of Slick Rick
De La Soul - 3 Feet High and Rising
Public Enemy - Fear of A Black Planet
Run DMC - Tougher Than Leather
Cypress Hill - Cypress Hill
LL Cool J - Radio
Freestyle Fellowship - To Whom It May Concern
The D.O.C. - No One Can Do It Better
A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory

Brian
Post Fri Nov 22, 2002 2:27 am
mack-mode

dee, i do know the meaning, i just don't know your definition, it's an over-used word anyway.

and i don't think they come off as trying to be super-intellectual at all, there shit makes sence, and if interpreted right, it can really make you think, it can really touch you. it's not trying to be more than what it is, just read any anticon interview and see that these guys are serious about what they do.
Post Fri Nov 22, 2002 2:41 am
Dee

The emotion doesn't reach me. It comes across as false.

And dallas, didn't he say those were his favorite albums of THE PAST FIVE YEARS. Not of all time.
Post Fri Nov 22, 2002 7:51 am
Random Sample

This Goes out to dallas boy.  Reply with quote  

The albums that I listed are the ones that influenced me in the past five years. I am not talking about albums between the years of 84-91. All of my favorite albums are between those years. I am not a new jack. I own every album that you listed down there, and four of them would be on my top ten list. When I originally wrote that post I worded it wrong so the interpretation got all fucked up. that is my own fault.

And I don't know what you are thinking about saying doctor octagon and project blowed did more than company flow. Company Flow will always be the king of "underground" hip hop. I don't think that kool keith's dr. octagon stuff was anything mind blowing. The ultramagnetic shit is tight, I think he was more influential with the ultramagnetic music then his solo music. And this is no disrespect to kool keith, because I like his music, I just don't think that he was as influential as company flow was. I feel the same way about project blowed. I am a big fan of aceyalone. I just don't think that project blowed influenced people as much as company flow. I will admit project blowed had a big influence on the west coast. They made big moves on the west coast. Them and solesides, but I just don't think they are on that level.
Post Fri Nov 22, 2002 10:02 am
Dee

While I don't think it was MORE influential than CoFlow, I do think that Dr. Octagon deserves a lot of props for sparking the recent underground movement. As much as CoFlow, anyway. That album is incredible.
Post Fri Nov 22, 2002 10:40 am
Reggie

Honestly, Dr. Octagon's greatest contribution to rap, underground or otherwise, is its tremendous crossover appeal. It also helped to reign in techno, electronica, and other rap/dj offsprings back under a broadened umbrella of "hip-hop." At least in the minds of many record store owners. Musically, Co Flow was a lot more influential, and their influence has really come to fruition in the last two or three years.
Post Fri Nov 22, 2002 10:53 am
mr self distrukt

don't eat me alive but...  Reply with quote  

reggie-

outside of def jux, where do you see co flow's influence?

el-p's production seems pretty unique with all the truncated and mechanical sounds and such, and i am not aware (not to say there isn't) anyone really sounding like that...

are you talkin about el-p's and bigg jus' flow?
or len's dj skills?

or just their overall undie ethos?
Post Fri Nov 22, 2002 11:27 am
mack-mode

djdee2005 wrote:
The emotion doesn't reach me. It comes across as false.

And dallas, didn't he say those were his favorite albums of THE PAST FIVE YEARS. Not of all time.

well this coming from someone who said jay-z sounds real.
Post Fri Nov 22, 2002 12:53 pm
Reggie

Re: don't eat me alive but...  Reply with quote  

mr self distrukt wrote:
reggie-

outside of def jux, where do you see co flow's influence?

el-p's production seems pretty unique with all the truncated and mechanical sounds and such, and i am not aware (not to say there isn't) anyone really sounding like that...

are you talkin about el-p's and bigg jus' flow?
or len's dj skills?

or just their overall undie ethos?

Well, El-P's mechanical sound stee is just one aspect of Co Flow...I was more thinking of the rapid-fire free-formed raps that are heavily emulated today.
Post Fri Nov 22, 2002 1:05 pm
duke_city

Re: This Goes out to dallas boy.  Reply with quote  

random_sample wrote:

And I don't know what you are thinking about saying doctor octagon and project blowed did more than company flow. Company Flow will always be the king of "underground" hip hop. I don't think that kool keith's dr. octagon stuff was anything mind blowing. The ultramagnetic shit is tight, I think he was more influential with the ultramagnetic music then his solo music. And this is no disrespect to kool keith, because I like his music, I just don't think that he was as influential as company flow was. I feel the same way about project blowed. I am a big fan of aceyalone. I just don't think that project blowed influenced people as much as company flow. I will admit project blowed had a big influence on the west coast. They made big moves on the west coast. Them and solesides, but I just don't think they are on that level.

I don't see it that way. If you ask all the Anticon guys why they made the Bay Area their mecca and what inspired them to make hip hop their livlihood they will definetely mention Freestyle Fellowship and a lot of the other people like Hobo Junction, Peanut Butter Wolfe, and Hierglyphics, Souls of Mischief, etc..

In terms of an underground scene the people in California have been holding it down a lot tighter and far more prolific than any children of Company Flow in fact Anti Pop Consortium is the only other underground hip hop I know of that kinda fed off Company Flow.

Blackalicious, Lateef, Lyrics Born, Living Legends, Deltron, etc I just don't see too many crews like this that spun off of Company Flow like how it happened in the West with Freestyle Fellowship and Dr. Octagon.

Brian
Post Fri Nov 22, 2002 1:46 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next