Search
Register
Commentary on "Emotional" Hip hop
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Reggie

I can't get through all the rest of this, but it is an obvious fact that most music in American was derived from African cultures. At least, most recorded music. Hardcore and metal--that's just Little Richard with an overdrive pedal. And the guitar is, itself, originally a Moorish instrument.

I don't see why this is such a sticking point, though. It seems blatantly obvious.
Post Thu Nov 21, 2002 7:27 am
August Spies

look I recognize that hip hop is very tied up with black culture, and I recognize that rocks roots are in blues.

But really rock has sprouted in so many different directions that its distance roots are pretty irrelevant now. If you honestly think metal is Little Richard with a distortion pedal you probably don't listen to metal. most metal guitarists are classicaly trained, and using crazy ass scales/chord progressions etc... that blues muscians didn't use.

I mean have you ever heard a blues song using the inverted Napoleonic scale?

"but it is an obvious fact that most music in American was derived from African cultures"

see thats the thing, rock isn't "american" music, it comes from a lot of places.
Post Thu Nov 21, 2002 9:39 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reggie

"Chord progressions" is the most meaningless, music store-clerk derived phrase in the world. It's a scale: inverted, Napoleonic, what-have-you...that it is played in chords is irrelevant. And playing scales in all their guises has been done to death...it's the first thing you learn, for Christmas' sake. I know that there are all kinds of inversions when using chords, but really...it's not a lot different than what Fats Waller or Charlie Christian did. Charlie Christian practically invented shredding, on an acoustic guitar with steel strings an inch and a half off the fret board.

You're right, rock n' roll is not a purely American form of music...but all around the world those that played it were aping rhythm & blues (really just a term coined to separate "white" from "black" music). Any rock musician wortth his salt will agree with that.
Post Thu Nov 21, 2002 10:55 am
August Spies

yes those THAT played it were, not those that play it now though.
Post Thu Nov 21, 2002 11:04 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dee

You're missing the point, August.

Without Chuck Berry, Little Richard, and probably Jimi Hendrix, there would BE no metal bands today.
Post Thu Nov 21, 2002 11:59 am
August Spies

again your missing what im saying. Ive already agreed to that. But what point does it show? without greece we would have no western philosophy, does not mean all philosophpy is basically greek by any means.

EDIT: alhtough I definiltly disagree about jimi hendrix, who was only an okay guitar player by every account ive heard. Chuck Berry and Richard are top notch though.
Post Thu Nov 21, 2002 12:55 pm
Reggie

August Spies wrote:
again your missing what im saying. Ive already agreed to that. But what point does it show? without greece we would have no western philosophy, does not mean all philosophpy is basically greek by any means.

EDIT: alhtough I definiltly disagree about jimi hendrix, who was only an okay guitar player by every account ive heard. Chuck Berry and Richard are top notch though.

The contention was that all American music and most pop music around the world derives from African and Black American culture and rhythms. You have agreed with this. At no time did anyone say that all music is black music. That would be insane.
Post Thu Nov 21, 2002 12:59 pm
mr self distrukt

Re: Commentary on "Emotional" Hip hop  Reply with quote  

Reggie wrote:
Where was Entertainment Weekly's article on Duck Down Records when Black Moon was selling tens of thousands of copies?

the newest FADER has a one page interview with Dru Ha.
Post Thu Nov 21, 2002 1:14 pm
Found Effect

fuck it  Reply with quote  

you guys have no lives
Post Thu Nov 21, 2002 5:34 pm
Dee

August Spies wrote:

You are definitely wrong about fucking Jimi Hendrix, man.
Post Thu Nov 21, 2002 5:40 pm
August Spies

I don't play guitar. But everyone I know who is a guitarist has told me Jimi was mediocre. He basically just plays one scale. He may be a great SONG WRITER, but he was apparently hardly an amazing guitarist... man.
Post Thu Nov 21, 2002 6:16 pm
Dee

I don't know what friends you've been talking to, but they really don't know anything about Jimi Hendrix, apparently.
First off, he didn't play "One scale." He didn't know the NAMES of the scales that he was playing, but its clear he had an abstract knowledge of the different things he played.

And by the way, its not possible that he only played in one scale, simply because he wrote his own songs....which means that HAD to know more than one scale. No song only utilizes one scale, unless its based around a pedal point drone, but that's more a funk-jazz thing.
Never mind his incredible song writing abilities (Castles Made of Sand, Axis Bold as Love) and prodigal guitar playing (He was completely self taught, yet had incredible control over the instrument), he redefined the entire way the guitar was played. Some rock musicians were playing with distortion, but none to the extent that Jimi Hendrix brought the instrument. He developed a completely unique way of using distortion as more than a textural effect, but a melodic and harmonic one...the guy was a sonic nerd, and a sonic genius.
Post Thu Nov 21, 2002 6:22 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5