Search
Register
Commentary on "Emotional" Hip hop
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Shylax

Yeah, I dig Manny's production. It's just the lyrics. Arghh.

De La's from Strong I (Long Island). As is L.O.N.S, P.E. etc. They got some gully places but it's mostly burbs. It doesn't affect their hood status or realness by no means LOL. Not implying that at all.
Post Wed Nov 20, 2002 4:41 pm
Geometrik

It is obvious that the world is being pushed into a period change and new development, revamping the way we think and how we act(actually we are the ones doing this, but there are external factors that help the process as well.)[/quote]

The world is changing. And to quote sage, "it's the only thing that stays the same." This is very true. Now, if one were to observe the degrees of change throughout each time period lets say within the last 500 years, they would conclude that the motion of the change has sped up within the last 100 drastically. in fact, this is most apparent with the technological revolution. The enlightenment period changed the face of irrationalism, but it took many years to do this. With technology, we have managed to change the face of the earth forever in less than 100 years. I am merely using technology as an example. As i said before, we are emotionally clearing and cleansing as well. Just observe people who are being forced to abandon their control dramas for the betterment of themselves. And I know that some are not aware of the frequency shifts happening within ourselves as well as the earth. This essay was not just talking about hip hop. it was also on a broader scale. A global scale.

Quote:

In the present moment, we are looking at a time where emotional clearing is encouraged, and this is most apparent in our artform(especially in hip hop, not only because it is still in an infantile state, being so young, but also because of the mind set(s) that hip hop has evolved from).

Im not talking about just the last 10 years. im talking about the last 50. I am picking out hip hop to illustrate these changes, even though it is present in ALL artforms.

Music is the reflection of these changes, and at the same time, a contributor to them.

How could this be untrue? art is like societies steam valve... at least that is what it has been. the art reflects the time period and the struggles. hip hop does just that, weather it be struggles of living inner city life or speakin of the consciousness revolution.

Quote:

In some ways, people are being forced to open their eyes to perceive different perceptions.

Just look at how the masses are concentrating so hard on Eminem while we wage war with other countries. People have been focusing on Eminem and his "negative" ways, not giving a second thought to what else we are doing. They are being forced to recognize this within themselves.

Those who wish to label our art form and sub-catagorize it are just attempting to judge weather or not this new interpretative art is marketable. In mainstream/pop culture, the mind frame is if a product is not marketable, why waste time promoting it? If the music or performer does not wield some aspect that can be exploited, the producers immediately turn their noses toward the sky.

Much of mainstream today is about the money. This is a broad observation, but it is definetly not an assumption. I do not need to repeat how this is true, as it has already been dissected many times on this message board.

Quote:

The point is that people tend to be fearful of change. Most of the time they greet it with resistance.

straight up, tell me how THIS one doesn't hold true. I'm not even going to get into this one.

Emotional hip hop is not new, as the desire to express one's self is the life force that breathed inspiration into the art to begin with.

Obviously it is not new. So why are some of you telling me that i said it was?Hip hop is EVOLVING. Emotion(being the core constituent of the musical manifestation) is being channeled into a new direction- and much has to do with the message of positivism. And much has to do with women. or political issues. There is no way around the fact that hip hop is evolving, along with everything else in the world. But for the sake of this debate, i am spotlighting hip hop.
Post Wed Nov 20, 2002 4:41 pm
Geometrik

Quote:

This guy used Eminem as an example implying he could be more than a gimmick. Sage dropped a post about Em where people say he wasted his talent.

Why is Eminem a waste of talent but Jay Z isn't? You dismiss Jay Z as speaking only about being rich but I've never seen anyone here say he's a waste of talent or brought up in essays like this guy's.

It could have been anyone in the mainstream. JayZ, eminem, Ludacris... etc. It doesnt matter. I was using Eminem to illustrate that the record companies do use such gimmicks. It could have been anybody. Plus, have you ever heard some of Eminem's old stuff? Infinity? Mad positive an to use a less intelligent word, real.
Post Wed Nov 20, 2002 4:53 pm
Found Effect

21st Century Rock And Roll  Reply with quote  

no one can say anything on anything...because the ironic thing in american music history is that 99% of all music in this country derived from african american culture

its all the same...peopel just have their own backgrounds and teachings of what hiphop is, when in reality hiphop is the new rock and roll for this century, created in inner cities like rock and roll was, only to be brought into the houses of white suburban kids to make it into issues all over the country...so ima take my hiphop and live it cuz i love it as it is...evolving, revolving, something new will come along down the road and this discussion will take place again...in fact, it will live another life with the same sou
Post Wed Nov 20, 2002 5:02 pm
Found Effect

Cont'd  Reply with quote  

in reality everyones got their own truths, no one has a this right or that right to correct anyone on anything u have to say, or what i have to say, or what sage francis has to say
Post Wed Nov 20, 2002 5:04 pm
SoundDoctrine

Am I the only one who heard the instrumental to "Glory Halleluja" in the background? Or was that Public Enemy? Oh well...
Post Wed Nov 20, 2002 5:05 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dee

Geometrik wrote:

It could have been anyone in the mainstream. JayZ, eminem, Ludacris... etc. It doesnt matter. I was using Eminem to illustrate that the record companies do use such gimmicks. It could have been anybody. Plus, have you ever heard some of Eminem's old stuff? Infinity? Mad positive an to use a less intelligent word, real.

Infinite isn't really that good, in my opinion....most people find it to be juvenile. I am among them.
Post Wed Nov 20, 2002 5:29 pm
shapeshifter

djdee2005 wrote:
Infinite isn't really that good, in my opinion....most people find it to be juvenile. I am among them.

I thought Infinite was alright, what struck me about some of the songs was that it was a lot more positive than Eminem was in his last couple of records. Then again his music is a reflection of whereever he is at at the time.
Post Wed Nov 20, 2002 5:33 pm
August Spies

"that 99% of all music in this country derived from african american culture "

honestly this seems like just a silly thing to say. First off, there is lots of music that doesn't come from african american culture... and secondly, sure rock has its roots in blues... but the rock of today is so alien to its origins that pointing out it originally was derived from blues seems irrelevant.

imho.
Post Wed Nov 20, 2002 9:21 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dee

ALL modern music in this country, aside from classical, is derived from African American music.

And no, even Linkin Park plays shit that comes from the blues. Basically all rock riffs were blues riffs at one point.
Post Wed Nov 20, 2002 9:47 pm
August Spies

eh I dont' buy it. Most modern metal bands, hardcore bands, indie bands are using riffs that old blues muscians never used. Not to mention all of the stuff from the electronic age
Post Thu Nov 21, 2002 12:09 am
August Spies

I mean, you recognize that other cultures have used guitar chords/scales/riffs that are different than blues riffs. Rock came out of blues, but it is not merely a subgenre of it by any means.
Post Thu Nov 21, 2002 12:10 am
Dee

August Spies wrote:
eh I dont' buy it. Most modern metal bands, hardcore bands, indie bands are using riffs that old blues muscians never used. Not to mention all of the stuff from the electronic age

The whole IDEA of rock music was created by black musicians. Rock music WAS black music, outside of blues.

And about the "electronic age"....have you ever heard House?
Post Thu Nov 21, 2002 12:18 am
August Spies

alright I think your just missing what im saying, or im not explaining it well enough so back to the original discussion.
Post Thu Nov 21, 2002 12:49 am
Found Effect

21st century rock  Reply with quote  

aight, I'm taking in all of the comments with open eyes, I am trying to be educated myself here...DJ DEE i appreciate the agreement...i also feel August Spies on the metal rock. However, rock and roll is a term i believe invented by african american culture...correct me if im wrong though.
Post Thu Nov 21, 2002 12:54 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next