Search
Register
Sage Francis could be so much more
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

sleeklegend

And I'd rather have opinions than have some all-accepting philosophy that would probably leave me depressed. No, I am not sure if this has anything to do with what you said, but I'm on a rant, goddammit. And it deserves to be said.
Post Sun Nov 17, 2002 10:59 pm
amo1ne

the title of this thread is extremely gay.
Post Sun Nov 17, 2002 11:02 pm
Jaryd

everything is clear to me now thanks to sleeklegend
Post Sun Nov 17, 2002 11:08 pm
darianluv

If you don't have something nice to say...  Reply with quote  

I'm not going to say anything.

Sage seems to have a pretty big internet fanbase though, and he works for it.

X_ |
X

Last edited by darianluv on Sun Nov 17, 2002 11:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Sun Nov 17, 2002 11:20 pm
amano

I never really get into this sorta thing but..

he's a lot more responsive than most artists out there.

jus cause he doesn't like peeps im-ing him or bein swamped with PMs all the time doesn't make him condesending towards his fans.
Post Sun Nov 17, 2002 11:38 pm
kaytekay

Location: providence, ri. website: http://iam.bmezine.com/?starspud

i think sage does a pretty damn good job of interacting with his fans. how many other artists have a message board they regularly post and repond on?
Post Sun Nov 17, 2002 11:52 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Hello everybody.

First off, pats on the back make me feel cheesy a lot of the time, so please don't respond to my posts with overly-positive remarks unless you truly feel compelled to do so. It looks like I egged it on or something...so I WILL edit your posts and make you say something bad about me if I have to. However, I am also a fragile boy...so don't let your pot-shots hit too close to home.

I go above and beyond my obligation as an entertainer to interact and offer myself to the people who appreciate my work. I like to do it. Partly because I'm neurotic and anti-social in weird ways, but the whole process keeps me sane and grounded. When I'm done a show, I don't care so much about the hand shakes and positive feedback...because what the hell else is a person supposed to say to a performer who just spilled his guts on stage? Seriously. I have been to shows where I didn't dig the performance at all, but when the artist walks by me I can't do ANYTHING except smile and say, "Good job." It's like a girl asking you if you think her ass looks big in those pants. Even if her ass DOES look fat...even if you DO like fat asses...you can't say yes. I don't why the hell I thought of that analogy, but I did.

When I'm done a performance I try to take a minute or so to collect myself on stage. Drink some water. Then it's off to the merch table to try and sell what I can to the people about to leave. I do this because it personalizes the transaction between artist and fan. People are more apt to buy a cd when it is coming from the artist's hand. It's nice to look into people's eyes who support you. Pictures aren't my thing, but who the hell am I to reject a photo? I usually stick around until the place empties out.

Then I go to my hotel. Alone. I go to the hotel alone because I am too tired to hang out and talk to people. I don't want to be around people. This used to send me into depression though...the dynamic of being cheered by hundreds of random people for a couple hours and then laying in a quiet room all alone for the rest of the night. But like most other things that entail me being alone...I have grown used to it. To the point that I PREFER it that way. It feels comfortable.

So when I go to the hotel room I take a shower and wash off the smoke. I cough until I hack up disgusting mucus. I log online to go through emails. I respond to my emails. I make updates on the site. I do these things because I run shit on my own. I don't have "people."

Now for someone to come on my site and claim that I treat my "fans" inappropriately...I scoff at that. It's a slap in the face. I have dealt with innumerable people (some I have NEVER met) dealing with unmentionable things more times than I can count. Seriously. I do it because it is the position I have put myself into. Some people need guidance...and sometimes it appears as if I have answers. Sometimes I do.

A lot of what I do is not to be EXPECTED of any artist. These are NOT obligations. And to be quite honest...it is not a practice that I will be able to keep for too much longer. It's unfeasible. Here I am...on my birthday...laying on the floor of my apartment...it's 1 AM and I haven't packed for my European tour yet...and I'm writing an essay to explain myself. For what??

I don't fucking know. It's not going to increase my fanbase or your appreciation of me. Nothing will change because of it. It's just some strange habit I have gotten myself into. It's bullshit. Bullshit. Between my last trip and this next one, I have stressed myself out while writing and recording for two albums. But I come to this messageboard a LOT to offer material for those who like the music enough to visit our website. To offer my opinion on random matters. To interact. I do this multiple times a day. Tell me ANY artist who does that shit? I don't see it anywhere.

I considered shutting down the messageboard today, because honestly...there are times when it causes more grief than anything. And I am getting threats of "hacking"...as if I give a shit. i don't. If this messageboard got hacked to bits I wouldn't think twice about doing away with it for good. As much as I have offered myself to it...i just don't see the worth of it beyond letting random people posts their thoughts every so often. but that can be done elsewhere. I care about quality control...so believe me...if your post was deleted it's because I could give a shit about your subject matter being discussed on my website. End of story. Go cry on another messageboard. Sorry, buddy.

I am about to leave for Europe. Solo trip. I am visiting countries (some I never knew existed) to share myself and the messages that get delivered through my music. I am going there to entertain people...somehow. That's the point of my trip. To entertain. If I fail as an entertainer, then I lose. THAT...THAT is my obligation. To entertain. I owe you a performance if I am booked to do a show. I owe you good music if I put out an album. These are my obligations. Beyond those things...I have none.

I won't be able to post much on this board while I'm gone. I would like to make it a habit to post less anyway. When I have time to check out the messageboard and add my thoughts, I will. When I have updates on music and shows, I will post them. But really...like most of the other people who used to post on this messageboard on a greater scale...I am going to phase out.

if you understand the situation...thank you.

if you think less of me as an artist or person because I don't want to cater to the virtual public as much anymore...so be it.

it's a no-win situation for me.

Peace,
Paul Franklin
Post Mon Nov 18, 2002 12:00 am
all ways osprey

Sage seems pretty down to earth to me. I like his music, but I've never bought anything of his and its not probable that I ever will, so he really owes me nothing. So he COULD be more, I guess, but I'm not expecting anything more.

Same thing goes for the director of Clerks- Kevin Smith, he posts sometimes on his www.view-askew.com message board where you can also catch Jason Lee, Ben Affleck, and some indie directors from time to time.

I DID however buy Aesop Rock Labor Days and Atmosphere God Loves Ugly, so those fucks owe me a lot. I want to ask Aesop what ALL his lyrics mean and what inspired him to write No Regrets. And I need to know if Slug really thinks he's ugly or if it's just like, you know, a metaphor or some shit.
Post Mon Nov 18, 2002 12:07 am
mack-mode

holy shit sage, we have the same birthday. happy birthday dude.
Post Mon Nov 18, 2002 12:16 am
Jaryd

:P
Post Mon Nov 18, 2002 12:22 am
Sarcastro

Sage has a lot of birthdays doesn't he?
Post Mon Nov 18, 2002 12:25 am
Path

nobodys going to hack your site... trust me. its not even really possible... people who claim they know how to "hack" are usually the ones who have no clue whatsoever.
Post Mon Nov 18, 2002 1:41 am
Machiavel

man, this is why i love this site.
Post Mon Nov 18, 2002 1:58 am
Soul Khansenses

I fuckin' hate how God never returns my pages to his two-way.
Post Mon Nov 18, 2002 2:16 am
gerhupsom vanbone

If sage wasn't an asshole to some of his fans than other fans wouldn't be able to laugh at all the funny people that IM him.

We laugh at others expence.
Post Mon Nov 18, 2002 9:59 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next