Search
Register
Sage Francis could be so much more
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Rakehell

Sage Francis could be so much more  Reply with quote  

I am writing in response to Sage's entire attitude towards his fans, as well as anyone else who posts on his site. Sage's reaction to many of those who post on this site is unbelievable. He acts as though he deserves freedom of the very fans who spend buy his records. If he did not want to be contacted why would make is email address public or create this forum. I agree with Sage that he does not owe his fans anything. However, I feel he is morally obligated to respond to his fans without being uncouth. There are people who are deeply touched by his words and to them Sage offers no answers or recognition of their questions or comments. Rarely does he acknowledge them with any words that are remotely kind. Sage Francis is in the position where he can make a deep and sincere impression upon the world. Instead of embracing this position, he runs from it. Repeatedly he states that he does not have time for people who have nothing to offer. Why doesn't he offer encouragement to these people with the hope that they will find something to offer? The truly great artists, throughout history, are those who have expanded their impact beyond the realm of art. John Lennon campaigned for peace, Bob Marley spoke out for the fortification of the downtrodden, and Shakespeare attempted to quash racism with his Merchant of Venice. Sage has the potential to make a huge difference to many people just as these artists I just mentioned. He wrote that he thought "Hip Hop was about the upliftment of humanity." He should do just that and try to make positive changes to the masses.
Post Sun Nov 17, 2002 10:02 pm
sleeklegend

It's his choice. Perhaps by his being a dick to you he's actually trying to make you a more confident person...don't get pissed off at the way he acts if he's "disrespectful" to you...if that's the way he wants to act, in jest, or not...let him be. He's just another person, and if you think he's an asshole, then think that.

You know you're still going to buy his albums, though. Heh.
Post Sun Nov 17, 2002 10:07 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

I respond to people on this board...and I respond to emails...the same I would anybody at any other time. And it's been an ongoing process...since I was an unknown...to being a kind-of-known.

How many artists, entertainers, politicians, or ANYBODY in the public eye leave themselves as accessible to people as me? I am not playing some stuck-up rapper role. And that's why you're even given the opportunity to bitch in the manner you have and get a response from me.

It is better to keep quiet...and that's where most artists exist...in silence...because it's better for them. I choose not to. So how have I done you wrong again?
Post Sun Nov 17, 2002 10:08 pm
stretchMIND

hahah what a circus.
Post Sun Nov 17, 2002 10:09 pm
td3

he probably IMed you with "i love your music... it got me through so much"
and you shunned him or her and they felt rejected.... so here they are

I think its dope that Sage stays in touch with his fans.... treats you the same whether you've listened to him for 10 minutes or 10 years...

most artists that have forums dont post very often... if at all

td3
Post Sun Nov 17, 2002 10:13 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
amo1ne

Re: Sage Francis could be so much more  Reply with quote  

Rakehell wrote:
John Lennon campaigned for peace

and he was killed by a crazed fanatic stalker. that's why Sage doesn't answer your emails.
Post Sun Nov 17, 2002 10:14 pm
Jaryd

i don't like it when i'm looking at cds and the artist (ahem) slaps them out of my hand, causing me to knock over other people's cds and look like a dick

not funny

stay quiet
Post Sun Nov 17, 2002 10:14 pm
eNDTRoDUCINg

unlike many other artists, sage is here to field comments like these. like it or not.
Post Sun Nov 17, 2002 10:18 pm
shapeshifter

<<<However, I feel he is morally obligated to respond to his fans without being uncouth. There are people who are deeply touched by his words and to them Sage offers no answers or recognition of their questions or comments. Rarely does he acknowledge them with any words that are remotely kind>>>

I do not feel that because you are an artist, and your stuff is released publically, that you are obligated to anything. To ourselves do we have the obligation, that is it, we are not obligated to anyone else. I don't know what kind of experience you've had, but by the looks of this message board alone, I think Sage is damn good to his fans. And do I think he owes me anything b/c I like his music? C'mon now that's just silly, we should be happy enough that he's putting his personal stuff out there for us to grow from...he don't owe us shat..
But thanks Sage for the message board, I think that's pretty damn cool of you.. (Most artists would send a computer generated picture with a fake signature, and that's as close as you'd get)
Post Sun Nov 17, 2002 10:19 pm
futuristxen

Sage is faster than 90 percent of my friends at responding to emails, so I don't really know what you are talking about.

I don't even know what to say to you guy. Your experience is vastly diffrent from mine. Sage has been nothing but positive when I've emailed him. I've never IM'ed him, it just seems rude to me. But with email I figure he can read it if he has time and if he wants. Which he has every time.

Keep doing what your doing Sage, for as long as you can. It does mean a lot.
Post Sun Nov 17, 2002 10:27 pm
sad_town

yeah seriously sage will answer peoples questions and talk to peeps like they are normal people, or his friends, on this forum. if he agrees he will say so, and if he doesnt he will say so. why would you want him to come on here and kiss our asses? that would be no fun. also, we as his fans can come on here and talk to him as an equal and shit, which is hella dope. sage you rule dont let dis honky get you down man. i'll be seein you for the first time in baltimore i am jacked!!!! by the way i heard an ill mitch/ strange famous collab was in the works. when will that be droppin?
Post Sun Nov 17, 2002 10:37 pm
Petrouchka Rasputin

Sage, maybe you should include the disclaimer "Converse with Sage not included" on your future releases.
Post Sun Nov 17, 2002 10:48 pm
Jaryd

[quote="sad_town"] we as his fans can come on here and talk to him as an equal and shit, [quote]

that is how i feel when my posts get deleted by the "Judge and Jury"
Post Sun Nov 17, 2002 10:52 pm
Still Sick

how can you possibly say that Sage reacts negatively to his fans? name one other artist who actually takes time out of his busy schedule to set up a web page with the sole purpose of talking to his fans. when i saw him in concert in pittsburgh i was completely shocked that after his set he was sitting in front of me selling t shirts and cds. he allowed fans to come up to him and ask him anything. he posed for pictures, he signed autographs. how many other rappers or entertainers do you know that take that much time out. after the show i felt obligated to email him. he responded right away and even told me that he remembered who i was. for that i am forever thankful and i know Sage will always be my favorite artist.
Post Sun Nov 17, 2002 10:52 pm
sleeklegend

Who gives a shit? What's the point? I can honestly say that I would respond in a very similar manner...some people you just don't feel like addressing; I'm sure everyone feels that way. No matter how hard you want Sage to be someone who politely fields anything directed towards him, or a peacemaker, he is who he is. Let it go. Fuck it. Can you calmly accept and respond and attempt to reach out to every person if you were in his position? Jesus...we all have shit to deal with, concentrate on that. Posting something on his messageboard isn't going to change the way he responds to people, unfortunately. Sorry to bring some reality to the situation. Peace.
Post Sun Nov 17, 2002 10:56 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next