Search
Register
How I came to know of sage francis
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

sequence

me.  Reply with quote  

I think punk kids getting into Anticon has a lot more to do with the mindset than the music. I know a lot of kids who hate hip hop because they think it's all commercial, as in all written, produced, concocted, by suits somewhere waiting to make a buck off of you. Anticon was probably the most in your face independent hip hop label/collective what ever you want to call it to come out in the last few years and kids in the hardcore scene started hearing about it. DIY carries a lot of weight.

Now obviously tons of people were doing shit on the indy level, by themselves for quite awhile before Anticon came along, but I think the fact that Anticon was much different from the norms of hip hop made them stick out even further and grab people's attention. At which point they would go and check it out, dig the concept (not the advancement of hip hop bullshit, but the independent, we'll do what we want vibe) and get on the train. I can speak from experience that this was the situation with many acquaintances of mine, most of whom could give a fuck about hip hop music and culture, but have been in the hardcore/punk scene for 10+ years. I, on the other hand, have been listening to both genres since I was a youth, because they BOTH pissed off the rednecks in my hometown, plus I skateboarded and you try to watch skate videos from 1993 and try not to fall in love with Hiero, come now. I was on board since grade 7 and followed it along since then, filled in the past and have stayed with it since. I initally got into the whole Native Tongue movement and then Hiero and what not because of skateboard videos and from then on was a hip hop snob and still am to this day. I'm also a punk snob, so you get the best of both asshole worlds with me.

I think what happens after the initial grab, is that people start going to shows, notice a similar sense of community to that which they experience in the underground hardcore scene, and immediately feel comfortable and then they slowly get absorbed. That's been my experience with friends of mine who I've dragged to shows.

Adam
Post Mon Nov 04, 2002 1:26 pm
td3

thanks for your Bio DJdee!

i cant tell you how long ive been looking for that

td3
Post Mon Nov 04, 2002 2:15 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
gerhupsom vanbone

I used to love hiphop.

Anything that wasn't hiphop wasn't me.

Then I heard Aesop who led to Sage who lead to Anticon.

Now I listen to the oldies and that stuff.
Post Mon Nov 04, 2002 2:59 pm
gerhupsom vanbone

Ha!!!!

like you care.
Post Mon Nov 04, 2002 3:00 pm
Dee

td3 wrote:
thanks for your Bio DJdee!

i cant tell you how long ive been looking for that

td3

Haha

Hey, I wasn't the first.
Post Mon Nov 04, 2002 3:45 pm
darianluv

I was into hiphop at least a year befor i even knew about anticon
Post Mon Nov 04, 2002 4:20 pm
ihaveagluegun

Sage got me into hip-hop, I'm not even sure of what I think of Anticon....but I'm sure they have some good artists, I like Sole, and Slug, and Alias, but I dont really get into all the associations, I just like the music. I try not to super glue my soul to anything.
Post Mon Nov 04, 2002 11:51 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
lowbudget

darianluv wrote:

haha!
i dont mean to laugh at you but that struck my funny bone
Post Tue Nov 05, 2002 5:01 am
argot

darianluv wrote:

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahhahaa
Post Tue Nov 05, 2002 5:10 am
lowbudget

the original thread asks how we came to know of sage francis... i didnt feel like going to scribble jam in 2000 but i wanted to know who won the battles. i learned of sage from hhi when they announced that he won the emcee battle. months went by & i decided to order one of the "sick of" tapes from my man paul at atak but i found out that sage got sick of dubbing tapes & wasnt making them (the tapes) anymore. then awhile later i found the cd version.

yep, thats it. i wish i'd known about non prophets sooner because i really dig the joints that were on the 12" but by the time i got hip it was out of print.
Post Tue Nov 05, 2002 5:47 am
darianluv

argot wrote:
darianluv wrote:

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahhahaa

lowbudget wrote:

haha!
i dont mean to laugh at you but that struck my funny bone

The point I was trying to make was that anticon and sage francis aren't the reasons I like hip-hop.

sorry if I'm not hip-hop enough.
Post Tue Nov 05, 2002 6:19 am
arlene DAMNIT

my friend said
you should go to the anticon show
and i said "the who show?"
but i went anyway

and the only performers that didnt suck were sage and josh martinez.

and it was good.
Post Tue Nov 05, 2002 8:52 am
Cabell

how i what indoctrinated....  Reply with quote  

my brother was the DJ for my high school basketball team; he was the "Kool Herc" image in my life, with his big ass speakers and obscure vinyl. I was young so I thought everything he did was the coolest thing.... I began by listening to his albums: De La Soul, Special Ed, X Clan, Public Enemy, BDP, NWA, KMD, Brand Nubians, 3rd Bass, Pete Rock & CL Smooth.....the list goes on.

It was only when I started to form my own interests in certain hiphop artists and groups that i began my journey into the underground. Beginning with artist like Wu, Nas, Big, 2pac, Snoop, Jay-z ("reasonable doubt - classic - shoulda went triple") and the likes of more popular hiphop artist. One day my boy from high school was like "yo, you ever hear of a group called Atmosphere?...yo that ish is dope....you gotta hear 'em..." and as soon as I first heard Sluggo rhyme, I was hooked! from sluggo it went Deep Puddle (anticon....i didnt even realize i am one of those guys that began via anticon...sortof anyways) Deep Puddle sparked sooooo much to me, Sole's Bottle of Humans, Buck65 and Sixtoo (the sebutones albums and all solo projects - all classic!), the peanuts and corn crew (PLS, fermented lps, both classic). From this foray into underground, anticon and obscure canadians lead the way; then i heard the track 'the narcissist' over the lif 'inhuman capabilities' instrumental. I was immidiately hooked, i had never heard such linguistic complexity and headyness all wrapped into one artist. Needless to say, I bought every album and i still cant get enough. The first time I saw Sage live was at Scribble Jam 2001, before that it was in various mc competitions.

Since then I became a turntablist, osucho collecting all the rare artifacts we call underground hiphop....i cant tell you how excited I was to find double copies of 'all word, no play', or the 12" of sebutonedef...these are the things that keep me thirsting for more. Just recently I have really grown fond of Adeem and Adverse, their lyrics are very moving and their cadences are remarkable. This tale delivers me to the present moment November 5, 2002 10:16am.... still an avid hip hop fan, im finally in a position to help out the cause of my obsession...hip hop, till death do us part....respect to all those progressing this performance art, keep it real,

DJ Cabell
Freshbeats Crew
Post Tue Nov 05, 2002 9:23 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2