Search
Register
How I came to know of sage francis
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

darianluv

How I came to know of sage francis  Reply with quote  

Rap and hip-hop never appealed to me, at least everything I heard. That is untill I heard the "good stuff." I started listening to 88.9 wers a few years ago, the whole undergound thing appealed to me, but more imprortantly, I was really digging the music. Then I listened to a cd my friend stole from someone. It was a mix, but it had "whore monger" on it and some anticon stuff and bunch of other stuff. I downloaded a bunch of songs and was promted to purchase a few albums and here i am.
Post Sun Nov 03, 2002 9:33 pm
sleeklegend

whoa, thanks a lot for that.
Post Sun Nov 03, 2002 9:36 pm
duck_shoe

I listened to punk rock and hardcore, and so did all of my friends. One day I was introduced to some new people who quickly became my friends, and two of them wouldn't shut up about Anticon and Sage, and my ears were assaulted from day one. The Anticon kind of grew on me but I hated it at first, but Sage appealed to me from the start as I am a fellow lyricist/poet(though nowhere near Sage's quality) I've learned to love the music, and was surprised to find that on my last trip to a CD store I spent almost all of my time browsing through the hip-hop section, giving the punk rock CDs a mere glance. So...I guess Sage Francis has changed my life.

xpunkrock?hiphop?i'msoconfused!x
Post Sun Nov 03, 2002 9:38 pm
Flogg The Dawlphin

i've always wondered why punk kids always get into anticon shit
Post Sun Nov 03, 2002 9:46 pm
darianluv

It's funny. I see a lot of the "punkers" turning to hiphop, I myself am in that position. I've become pretty disgusted with the hole punk scene in general, seeing what its turning into, but i suppose hiphop has the same problems.
Post Sun Nov 03, 2002 9:48 pm
duck_shoe

I think it has alot to do with the corporate media trying to absorb punk rock into their upper-middle class world. Record label suits wouldn't touch Why? with a ten foot pole...

xblink182ishardcorepunkrock!x
Post Sun Nov 03, 2002 9:59 pm
Reggie

The big rock/rap crossover happened in 1988, the way I remember it. "Walk this Way" made a lot of headway, but metalheads didn't start strictly digging beats until Public Enemy dropped. That both musics had a lot of noise and anger helped to grease the wheels, I suppose. Plous, Anthrax had done that track "I'm the Man" and then collaboed with P.E. on "bring the Noise" (which was a good but often overlooked version...minus the verse by the lead singer of Anthrax--shades of Fred Durst). Since then, the most major commercial outlets have tried to divorce the two genres until they seemingly gave up recently.
Post Mon Nov 04, 2002 7:22 am
td3

i think THE CHRONIC had a HUGE impact on "white suburb" kids when it dropped... it was so popular with all sorts of kids that listened to a wide variety of music... same as when Snoop came out... then Eminem

Dr. Dre is a hip-hop genius

td3
Post Mon Nov 04, 2002 8:00 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reggie

td3 wrote:
i think THE CHRONIC had a HUGE impact on "white suburb" kids when it dropped... it was so popular with all sorts of kids that listened to a wide variety of music... same as when Snoop came out... then Eminem

Dr. Dre is a hip-hop genius

td3

Yeah, each artist carved a little more out of the suburban market than the last. It all really started with Sugar Hill Gang's "Rapper's Delight", technically, though Newcleus' "Jam on It" made a lot more headway overall.
Post Mon Nov 04, 2002 8:20 am
Dee

I was always fascinated with hip hop culture...growing up. Part of it was living in/near a major city, so the nirvana-grunge-flannel thing had less of an effect. I remember when I was like 10 staying up late listening to my first walkman that my dad had gotten me and pretending to be asleep if my mom came in the room to check on me...and I'd listen to the radio, and back then Chicago had a couple stations that played straight up hip hop. I heard Pharcyde (Passing Me By), early 2pac (I Get Around), Illmatic-era Nas (Halftime), Gang Starr (Mass Appeal), Souls of Mischief (93 Til Infinity), Queen Latifah (U.N.I.T.Y.), Salt N Pepa (Shoop), and Wu tang (C.R.E.A.M. was huge) when it hit, and of course the impact of Dre and Snoop was tremendous...I remember watching the "nuthin' but a g thang" video and thinking how fucking cool Snoop Dogg was...he was so cool he didn't even look into the camera, if that makes any sense.

In high school I got into jazz big time, and while I remember "Things Fall Apart" being pretty big and a lot of my friends listened to hip hop, I kind of fell out of the loop...got back into it about 2 years ago, my senior year of high school, when I started hitting concerts and buying CDs again. So for me, 1993-1995 (age 10-12) were huge formative years for my music taste in hip hop. I was also going to a YMCA after school program (as a single mom, my mother decided she had better find us something to do after school) and it was an important experience too...three guys in their early 20s ran the thing, and it was like 20 of my 5th grade peers playing basketball and sega and, most notably, listening to the radio. The guys that ran this ALWAYS played WGCI which was (and is) Chicago's most successful hip hop/R&B station. I heard a lot of great stuff from them.
(On a side note, it was also a good experience for me in terms of growing up with a healthier view on race relations, I think...it was 2 black guys and one Puerto Rican in charge of a whole bunch of kids, so I feel like having responsible young black men running this program early on in my life helped to keep me from stereotyping now that I'm older like I see so many others do, especially now that I'm at the College of White.)

Anyway, when I got back into hip hop I moved from Black Star to the rest of the underground...I heard Makeshift Patriot, and that's really how I got into Sage...I heard it soon after it came out, and was glad someone agreed with what I thought, even as people in my dorm jingoistically stuck flag stickers to everything.

Oh yeah, and my first hip hop tape I got in 1992 .... it was http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&uid=SEARCH&sql=Aos967u50h0jdthis

Last edited by Dee on Mon Nov 04, 2002 9:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Mon Nov 04, 2002 9:28 am
Flogg The Dawlphin

I'm sort of the opposite. My first albums were by LL Cool J, Fat Joe, Lord Finesse, etc. This was back in like 3rd or 4th grade. Then I started listening to punk and metal a bit when I got a little older. Not sure what happened when, but I like to think I am pretty open-minded about all kinds of music. The only scenes I never dug were indie-college-grunge rock type shit that (pretty widely) ranges from Howie Day to Phish to Collective Soul.
Post Mon Nov 04, 2002 9:35 am
ihaveagluegun

I used to be into a lot of punk too. it really is wierd that so many people who used to dig punk get into hip-hop lately.
Post Mon Nov 04, 2002 12:31 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Dee

I'd attribute it to the fact that hip hop always had a punk-aesthetic to it...and now there's a lot of white guys in the underground game who accentuate that aesthetic.

And no, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it...
Post Mon Nov 04, 2002 1:01 pm
The Dead Poet

i stumbled upon sole's- martyr theme song...and before that was listening to nonsense...when i herd it i was floored...i started a searching every record shop for anything by sole...to no avail...

so i downloaded some tracks by a guy named anticon(lol-whom i heard mentioned in the track) and later to find out i was the crew and recored label...then i talked the the underground head that works in a record shop and brought him a list of cd's that were out...and persuaded him into getting them shipped out here to Santa Barbar, CA....i then bought the Giga single(which was the only dissapointment i've ever encountered from the consortment) yet i loss it not long after that....but bought it quickly again...for the best song i had EVER HERD up to that date...which ofcourse was inherited scars...
Post Mon Nov 04, 2002 1:18 pm
Dee

Um, just curious...how many of you were into hip hop BEFORE anticon??!
Post Mon Nov 04, 2002 1:25 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next