Search
Register
PSC mentions Sage......
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Dee

MC Scorpion wrote:
Im thinking more along the lines that Sages delivery, content, and lyrics are better than those of Nelly, Ja Rule, and the new Fat Joe.

Maybe thats why people like him. Maybe.

What the hell kind of a comparison is that?

Thats like saying that maybe Aceyalone's delivery, content, and lyrics are better than Vanilla Ices.

Guess what? Nas' flow is better than Sages. ooooooh.

You aren't making a point, and you're making your non-existent point in a retarded way.
Post Thu Oct 31, 2002 11:38 pm
Dee

Path wrote:
djdee, you still are my favorite village idiot.

what a stupid generalization. christ.

What the fuck?

All I said was that some of Sage's fans are probably his fans because he's white...its not a generalization unless I said ALL of his fans are like that.

And Path, my friend, the village bitch award goes to you.
Post Thu Oct 31, 2002 11:40 pm
icarus502
kung-pwn master

sage, more than most, is quite astute to the racial politics of music.
and of course it works "both" ways.
Post Thu Oct 31, 2002 11:54 pm
icarus502
kung-pwn master

is it me or have the whole ll crew turned into slug's cheerleaders?
Post Fri Nov 01, 2002 12:02 am
duck_shoe

icarus502 wrote:
i agree with him too, to an extent anyways.
the fact is that a lot of white kids are checking for white rappers now that there are a few that are worth listening to. that's just the truth.
i seriously doubt slug would have hordes of midwest farmer-dun male groupies if he were black. and that's not a diss towards him at all. or eminem either.
remember what isiah thomas said about larry bird? that if he were a black player, he'd have been considered good- great, even- but he wouldn't have had so many white people on his nuts. very few would have had the gall to say he was better than magic or jordan (back in the day, people said that). he would've been another isiah thomas.
of course, i think sage is one of the best today but, ceteris paribus, i don't think he would have as the same type of fans if he were black.

Umm...alright, I take offense to the Larry Bird statement. Isiah Thomas was talking out his ass because he couldn't get his teams past Bird's Celtics. Thomas always was and always will be an asshole who tried to do stuff like freeze out Jordan in all-star games and trade away hall-of-fame calibre players simply because they wouldn't accept that their place on the team was to be his lapdog. Isiah Thomas knows nothing. At the time people were saying it, Bird was better than Jordan and on par with Magic. Jordan's teams accomplished nothing at the time, and Bird's overmatched Celtics always gave the Lakers a run for their money if they didn't beat them. It angers me to think that someone can say that Bird was special because he was white. Was it Bird's white skin that enabled him to tell his defender exactly what he was going to do while heading up court, and then do it despite his opponents best efforts? Did his white skin drop 42 on Doc in 30 minutes? Did Birds white skin drop 20 points in Dominique in the 4th quarter despite battling bronchial pneumonia? Did Birds white skin average 24 points, 10 rebounds and 6 assists per game for his career? Of course not, Bird was special. Thomas is just pissed because Bird stole his inbounds pass in the '87 Eastern Finals.

I'm done...sorry for the rant.

xi'mlikeabird...x
Post Fri Nov 01, 2002 12:51 am
Dee

I think he's talking about the Larry Bird fans, not larry bird's ability to play basketball.

And Larry Bird may have been a better team player, but he was never on par with Jordan in terms of raw ability at the time or ever.

No one was.
Post Fri Nov 01, 2002 12:57 am
futuristxen

duck_shoe wrote:
icarus502 wrote:
i agree with him too, to an extent anyways.
the fact is that a lot of white kids are checking for white rappers now that there are a few that are worth listening to. that's just the truth.
i seriously doubt slug would have hordes of midwest farmer-dun male groupies if he were black. and that's not a diss towards him at all. or eminem either.
remember what isiah thomas said about larry bird? that if he were a black player, he'd have been considered good- great, even- but he wouldn't have had so many white people on his nuts. very few would have had the gall to say he was better than magic or jordan (back in the day, people said that). he would've been another isiah thomas.
of course, i think sage is one of the best today but, ceteris paribus, i don't think he would have as the same type of fans if he were black.

Umm...alright, I take offense to the Larry Bird statement. Isiah Thomas was talking out his ass because he couldn't get his teams past Bird's Celtics. Thomas always was and always will be an asshole who tried to do stuff like freeze out Jordan in all-star games and trade away hall-of-fame calibre players simply because they wouldn't accept that their place on the team was to be his lapdog. Isiah Thomas knows nothing. At the time people were saying it, Bird was better than Jordan and on par with Magic. Jordan's teams accomplished nothing at the time, and Bird's overmatched Celtics always gave the Lakers a run for their money if they didn't beat them. It angers me to think that someone can say that Bird was special because he was white. Was it Bird's white skin that enabled him to tell his defender exactly what he was going to do while heading up court, and then do it despite his opponents best efforts? Did his white skin drop 42 on Doc in 30 minutes? Did Birds white skin drop 20 points in Dominique in the 4th quarter despite battling bronchial pneumonia? Did Birds white skin average 24 points, 10 rebounds and 6 assists per game for his career? Of course not, Bird was special. Thomas is just pissed because Bird stole his inbounds pass in the '87 Eastern Finals.

I'm done...sorry for the rant.

xi'mlikeabird...x

thank you for saying that. I was thinking that, but I didn't want to take the time to rant out on that side point. I'm not a larry bird fan, in fact I hated him while he was playing, but I would never say his being white had anything to do with him being one of the 50 greatest players of all-time.
Post Fri Nov 01, 2002 12:58 am
Dee

futuristxen wrote:

thank you for saying that. I was thinking that, but I didn't want to take the time to rant out on that side point. I'm not a larry bird fan, in fact I hated him while he was playing, but I would never say his being white had anything to do with him being one of the 50 greatest players of all-time.

I do agree that he deserved tons of respect...and I would put him in the top 50 as well.
But I think there's something to be said for him having more fans than he would have if he was black.
Post Fri Nov 01, 2002 12:59 am
futuristxen

It's tough to say though, because he won championships, and Boston loves their basketball, so I think regardless he would have gained the same fan base. And think about him coming out of college, out of taking indiana state to the national championship...I don't know...anyone coming out of college nowadays with those type of creds, especially to a high profile team, generates a lot of interest.

I can see what you are saying though, because for some people, not nessarily basketball fans either, just some people, he was The Great White Hope...and that goes with your statement about some of the fans following white underground emcees, I think obviously there are going to be racist white trash assholes who are going to follow these guys for stupid reasons...but i think it's more of an issue with the mainstream with eminem, because he's an icon that is detatched from his music, he's a symbol to angry white youth...but in the underground? I dunno. You do kind of have to be open minded just to find out about some of these guys.

I think you have more of a problem with an anti-mainstream mindset amongst underground heads, then you do a pro-white thing.

Most fans of underground don't know the ethnicity of the artist beforehand. How many people think Aesop Rock is black, and Slug is white?
Are grouch and eligh white? Is that who PSC is talking about? Sorry for my ignorance, I've only heard their music, I've never seen them. I assumed they were black. ha. which goes with my point.
Post Fri Nov 01, 2002 1:13 am
amano

Path wrote:
djdee, you still are my favorite village idiot.

what a stupid generalization. christ.

you sure do spend a lot of time on here ridin this cat on here.

funny how you seem to have some sorta personal beef with someone ya never met before, on a forum no less. Calm down already.

try not to come back with somethin about how many posts he has under his belt on this site either cause it's weak. This is a forum, if someone on here's givin that much anguish, go outside, take a deep breathe and go for a walk.

and it's not that big of a generalization. It is true for some cases out there. The ish he said about eminem is in fact true. Even slug has admitted that a lot of his success to the lack of melanin that he has. Don't believe me, I can link you the site where I heard the interview. It isn't a stupid generalization because a lot of cats do happen to turn to someone who they'd feel a lot more comfortable seein and listenin to. As sad and ridiculous as it sounds, race does sometimes have somethin to do with that (in that aspect). I'm not sayin everyone's like that, but it is true in different cases. I've seen good examples of this at shows before. Around here at least, Atmosphere came around here not long ago, the spot was filled with a predominately caucasian audience there to see him. Sometime later, Supastition came around here but most of that crowd was nowhere to be seen. It's happened a lot around here actually. The underground scene here has a lot of black artists doin their thing, we don't see that same fanbase come out or even pay it any mind. Then again there a lot of atmosphere fans that don't even like hiphop.

anyway, if I don't sound as articulate as I normally do, it's cause I can't really think straight rite now. I am coherent tho.

I didn't speak on sage francis's fanbase cause I really haven't seen him live yet.
Post Fri Nov 01, 2002 1:24 am
Fladlien

I would just like to mention quickly that Sage's skin probably does help him draw his fanbase, now that he has established rep. But people often forget how hard it was when you start out rapping and you're white. It's not like an instant mix, add a cup of white to a table spoon of rap and viola, instant success. You have to prove yourself, and it is argueable that it is harder to go out and start rapping, and prove yourself when you are white, just as it is arguable that once you do prove yourself, that it is easier to draw a larger fan base because you are white. Interesting...
Post Fri Nov 01, 2002 6:41 am
Dee

yeah, I don't want you to think that I don't believe Sage worked to be where he is...

I'm just saying that skin color does have an effect on who one draws.
Post Fri Nov 01, 2002 7:02 am
dabinduppes

you guys think WAAAAAy too much.....

KNOW THIS: PSC's an idiot.
Post Fri Nov 01, 2002 7:13 am
Dee

Whoa....my whole point in another thread, proven right here.

"You guys think...too much."

Yeah, thinking isn't cool, man. Its much cooler to just be ignorant and do what sounds cool, or right, or good. Just like our president.

Fuck that. I want to be an intellectual, let me be one. There's truth in what I've been saying.
Post Fri Nov 01, 2002 7:16 am
Reggie

Yeah, word. Back when Sage was black he got no love in the underground, turning his skin white was the smartest thing he ever did.

Sage has the largest hillbilly fanbase of any rapper I know, and that includes Haystak and Bubba Sparxxx. I am aware that "hillbilly" is a slur.
Post Fri Nov 01, 2002 7:21 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next