Search
Register
My Bio -for those interested...
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

ONE.

damn.. that was tight Joey... thanks for the read, I enjoyed it. :)

keep on doing your thing..

peaces.
Post Thu Oct 31, 2002 6:49 pm
DM

......  Reply with quote  

....can't wait to hear your instrumental album. When does it drop? I didn't know Moodswing was the pappy. Any advice for starting producers?

Abacus
Post Thu Oct 31, 2002 6:53 pm
JOEYBEATS

djdee2005: Do you listen to jazz outside of sampling it?

Yes, of course. In fact, I don't listen to hip hop much anymore. This spring and summer I was big into bossa nova and samba. Right before that in the winter and fall I was pretty much all soul. The summer before that was dub reggae mostly. With jazz in particular, I'm on a big Muse kick of recent. Muse is dope because they were making quality jazz in the late 70's all the way up to the mid 80's while all the old school labels and artists were going elevator, fusion rock, or disco. Muse is most always pretty quality jazz -even if certain albums don't necessarily have samples on them.

abacus7: I didn't know Moodswing was the pappy.

Moodswing 9 is the PAPPY. I had a lot more written about him in my bio that ended up getting cut out. I could literally go on for days in praise of him. Mostly though, he's truly one of the nicest people I've ever come across in my life. His spots were your spots, his tricks were your tricks, his list was your list. And that bugged me out because his production skills are through the roof. Most of you know him from beats like Martyr Theme Song. Let me tell you all something: that track is booboo compared to some the instrumental stuff he has on that 3000 of his. One time he came to visit me, he brought his 3000 and we hooked it up to my the stereo blah blah blah. He put on this beat called "Aisle of Toys" and I wanted to cry. The first thing that popped into my head was, "I'll never be this good. No matter how hard I try, I'll never be able to mix such rare records so well as this kid does." About a minute and a half into the song, the music stops.

ME: Dave, your sampler is messing up.
MOODSWING: No, it's fine. I have to load up the second part of the beat.
ME: What do you mean?
MOODSWING: I maxed out the sampling time and pads up to that point, so I had to break the song up into three seperate parts among all these discs.
ME: Doesn't this thing have like five minutes sample time and 64 pads?
MOODSWING: Yeah.
ME: So you have to break it up?
MOODSWING: Yeah, I do it all the time.

Let me recap for all those that might've missed that. Dude had so many samples going on at once he maxed out over 5 minutes of sample time and 64 pads only a minute and a half into the song. So the sampler stopped and he had to load a bunch of more discs just so I could hear Part 2, and -then had to repeat the same process so I could hear- Part 3. Each time he had to load up a new part of the song, he wasn't doing it with floppy's, he did with new zip discs. Yes, zip discs, plural.

ME: Man, I can't even imagine having that many samples going on at once in order to do that.
MOODSWING: That's nothing, I heard Shadow has so many drum chops, he'll max out all 64 pads just with drums alone.

I believe this is where I should make my exit. Unbelieveable.

Last edited by JOEYBEATS on Thu Oct 31, 2002 10:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Oct 31, 2002 10:31 pm

Mojo the helper monkey

Do you think he'll come back to producing?
Post Thu Oct 31, 2002 10:41 pm
Dee

Yes, of course. In fact, I don't listen to hip hop much anymore. This spring and summer I was big into bossa nova and samba. Right before that in the winter and fall I was pretty much all soul. The summer before that was dub reggae mostly. With jazz in particular, I'm on a big Muse kick of recent. Muse is dope because they were making quality jazz in the late 70's all the way up to the mid 80's while all the old school labels and artists were going elevator, fusion rock, or disco. Muse is most always pretty quality jazz -even if certain albums don't necessarily have samples on them.

Awesome...I'll have to look into the Muse stuff.

i'm heavily into Blue Note...Aside from the expert packaging and raw cover art, Blue Note was easily the most well recorded music at the time...plus now they're remastering all the albums, and its being supervised by the guy who mastered all the classics originally - Rudy Van Gelder.
Plus, they had EVERYone who was big in the 50s and 60s, until Miles went to Columbia (at which point they had everyone but Miles.) Freddie Hubbard, Herbie Hancock, Horace Silver, Art Blakey.....

The only other jazz artist I've been listening a lot to lately (other than Miles and anything on Blue Note) is Charles Mingus. That man is a fucking genius.
Post Thu Oct 31, 2002 10:45 pm
sinista

joe....that was good shit man. don't forget the era of Pete's computer :)

this summer i took a jazz class at URI. one of the best things i've ever done. i looked forward to making the drive down to campus every thursday. i've probably had only two or three other classes that i've felt that way about. i went through a phase where i listened to Mingus' "Haitian Fight Song" like 5 times a day for 3 weeks. I've also had a chance to listen to some of the man's other works. his pieces are incredible.

sinista
Post Thu Oct 31, 2002 10:56 pm
Dee

Yeah, I've slowly collected as many albums of his as I can find....Have you heard IIBS, his later recording of Haitian Fight Song?

And to Joey (or anyone else): I don't know how you feel about sampling mp3s, but if you join emusic (10$ a month if you agree to do it for a year) then you have access to hundreds of thousands of hours of jazz online, unlimited downloads. Virtually Prestige's entire catalogue is available for download. I highly recommend you check it out.
Post Thu Oct 31, 2002 11:34 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2