Search
Register
Bad Brains..
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

amano

Bad Brains..  Reply with quote  

whas everyone's thoughts on these crazy cats?!
Post Sun Oct 27, 2002 12:09 am
panty_inspector

...  Reply with quote  

i got i&i survived.....i havent anything of theirs besides this but im really diggin it

hows their old shit?
Post Sun Oct 27, 2002 1:39 am
August Spies

Thier old shit KICKS ass, like the one with the white hosue being hit by lightening, or black dots. The rest of thier shit is shit. dont' bother.
Post Sun Oct 27, 2002 1:48 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
amano

I'm feelin the slowed down rock phase they went thru actually. Re-ignition is my shit.

rock for light and i against i have gotta be my two fave joints from em tho.

the older ish is much better.

some of the only hard-core punk I'm ever feelin anymore other than the early SST and mid-80s dischord ish.
Post Sun Oct 27, 2002 2:33 am
duck_shoe

Pay to Cum = perhaps the greatest punk song EVER.

xfearlessvampirekillerx
Post Sun Oct 27, 2002 12:10 pm
Flogg The Dawlphin

you want to like them so you can associate with black people. in my opinion, they have nothing on good hardcore bands or on good reggae artists.
Post Sun Oct 27, 2002 12:43 pm
sequence

uhhh.....no.  Reply with quote  

Sorry dude, Rock for Light and ROIR in particular are two of the best hardcore records of all time. Made by white or black people. If you knew shit about shit you'd know that. Go buy those records and let them kick your teeth in...

Adam
Post Sun Oct 27, 2002 12:49 pm
Flogg The Dawlphin

i'm glad that you let rolling stone tell you what the best hardcore albums of all time are, but again, IN MY OPINION, there are much better hardcore albums... a few examples would be "hearts once nourished with hope and compassion", "friendship-loyalty-commitment", the first two Kill Your Idols albums-- i find newer hardcore to be more hard-hitting and just plain better sounding.
Post Sun Oct 27, 2002 12:57 pm
August Spies

there are better hardcore records (kill your idols certainly not being some) but for the time and place they are without a doubt one of the top hardcore bands... meaning one of the best hardcore bands from the early 80's. And they certainly were a huge influence on the hardcore scene.

Even their reaggae is better than most, but that is not saying much.

I mean there are MANY hardcore records that are better sounding, recorded better, more technical, than Black Flag or Minor Threat. But bands also need to be judged by their time and place.

Fuck there are a lot of better records than the beatles or the clash, but we judge but their are reasons those bands are considered so important.
Post Sun Oct 27, 2002 1:13 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
duck_shoe

Attributing their success to race is ridiculous. They're a great band, plain and simple. Without them, there would be no Minor Threat, at least not the Minor Threat that we all know, and Minor Threat is THE GREATEST hardcore band of all time. Bad Brains comes in behind them, but they're still top ten.

xloveminorthreat,butdon'tgotthestraightedgex
Post Sun Oct 27, 2002 1:22 pm
caligula

friendship, loyalty, commitment? are you kidding? i have that cd and while its good its not anywhere near the top.

on the other hand, bad brains is brilliant.
Post Sun Oct 27, 2002 3:53 pm
amano

Flogg The Dawlphin wrote:
i'm glad that you let rolling stone tell you what the best hardcore albums of all time are, but again, IN MY OPINION, there are much better hardcore albums... a few examples would be "hearts once nourished with hope and compassion", "friendship-loyalty-commitment", the first two Kill Your Idols albums-- i find newer hardcore to be more hard-hitting and just plain better sounding.

I can't stand really any hard-core that's around nowadays. Then again, I can't really stand anything that's been out period havin to do with that ish. It ain't really my thing in the first place.

it sounds really stagnant, and they over do the screamin. I think a lotta bands jus scream all the time to overcompensate for their lack of emotion and soul. Doesn't mean nearly as much when somethin's overdone.

I like my ish with singers that actually sing. Anyone can yell, or shout, or scream.

bad brains is one of the illest bands period.

the most modern hard-core records you'll prolly find in my crate are an avail and lifetime record and braid if ya wanna consider em that too.

but like I said, it ain't really my thing.
Post Sun Oct 27, 2002 4:25 pm
duck_shoe

For the most part I agree with you about hardcore these days, it seems to lack the energy and emotion that Minor Threat and Gorilla Biscuits displayed...but there are exceptions:

Avail
Refused
Heckle(before they broke up)
Thrice(if you consider that hardcore)
Death by Stereo(i never thought they were that good, until I saw them live)
Madball
Propagandhi
Alexisonfire(www.theonlybandever.com)

xbacktothemotorleaguewithme?x
Post Sun Oct 27, 2002 4:37 pm
August Spies

I completely diagree with you. Hardcore nowadays has much more emotion, creativitiy and innovation than its ever had since its beginnings. That is if you look at hardcore/punk as an EVOLVING music scene. People playing the same shit GB and Minor Threat played are obviosly going to be stale by now (like wise kids trying to rip off the Sex Pistols, or any type of music)

but modern hardcore bands, the "new hardcore", is simply amazing imo. bands like Reversal of Man, Submission Hold, Racebannon, Orchid, Page 99, Saetia, city of caterpiller, forstella ford, the assistant etc...

how anyone can listen to bands like that and consider hardcore stagnant is beyond me.
Post Sun Oct 27, 2002 5:13 pm
sequence

yes I am god  Reply with quote  

and KYI weren't that good, they're okay, but not that good. As for the quality issue, FUCK THAT. Hardcore isn't about sound/production quality, if you want that go listen to the Baha Men. It ain't supposed to sound pretty, goddamnit. Of the bands I've been in, my favorite recordings came from either live in a professional studio, abandoning all the normal equipment used to prevent bleeding, or on a 8 track in a basement, the glossy sound just doesn't cut if for me when it comes to inherently abrasive music.

Here is a list of some of the new bands I like a lot:

Tragedy, Severed Head of State, Wolfbrigade (pack), Skitsystem, DS-13, Victims, Accursed, Exclaim, Total Fury, Forward, Deathreat, Life Set Struggle, The End Result, Bloodpact, Carcrash, the Awakening, the Real Enemy (now defunct), Threatener, The Control, Carthasis, Gehenna, and lots of other ones.

I can't stand mosh-metal-core-emo nonsense, it drives me up the fucking wall. I appreciate City of Caterpillars and Pg. 99 and such live, but I've never liked them on record. August, did you ever see -tion before they broke up. Now that was a band...as for old stuff, I like the classics, Minor Threat, Void, Bad Brains, Reagan Youth, 7 Seconds, DK's, Black Flag, Fear, Conflict, Subhumans, Rudimentary Peni....blah blah blah...why am I writing this again?

Bad Brains RULE(D)!

Adam
Post Sun Oct 27, 2002 6:30 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next