Search
Register
b. dolan - the failure
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Press/Interviews/reviews

Casey Carver

dafasdfads  Reply with quote  

I'm only about half way through but I'm really liking it. Especially "How the Blues Loved" Thanks for posting this bernard.
Post Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:29 pm
marshall84

Wow, I just listened to this all of the way through. It's a masterpiece. It's like a musical except there is nothing to look at. A portrait of a man going insane, among other things. This is genius. I'm really impressed.
Post Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:42 pm
b. dolan
FBI agent

wow... thank you very much...

im kind of shocked ... maybe i've failed at failing... haha.
Post Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:49 pm
Jesse

Nah man, you're doing okay.

I guess I'm the only person on the board whose alley this FIRMLY does not go up.

I'm not going to say it's bad because it's so far from my taste that I lack a pertinent frame of reference. Whether I like it or not has nothing to do with whether it's good for what it is.

I do however want to say that I don't think the Tom Lehrer thing was cool. If you're going for a mixtape thing, then please just play the track without off-tempo, uncomplementary distorted drums cutting through it. If you seriously want to remix the piece into something semi-original, then MAKE THE DRUMS FIT. All you did was ruin a song someone else already put out on his album. That's the failure part.

The rest of the record(s) doesn't fail in that way. It just hurts my ears a lot.

Actually wait... the track with the Joey Beats beat didn't hurt my ears and did hold my interest. But that was it for me.

No disrespect dude, just my personal opinion.

So you don't get gassed by all these love lovers in here. ^_^
Post Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:22 am
soap radio

Would you mind if i posted it as a zip to save people from clickin 22 links to download it?
Post Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:39 am
AirTreesWaterAnimals

no soap radio wrote:
Would you mind if i posted it as a zip to save people from clickin 22 links to download it?

I asked once already, no response. I've got them all downloaded now. I'll zip them and host it on yousendit.
Post Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:46 am
AirTreesWaterAnimals

Nevermind, yousendit.com is down right now. I'll try again later.
Post Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:57 am
b. dolan
FBI agent

no soap radio wrote:

nah go for it man... i dont have a problem with that i just didn't want to do it :)

airtrees... ^that was my response... i took what you said earlier to mean either you werent going to download it or would muster the energy to click later on...

jesse: no chance of me getting gassed off this project. your response was mostly what i got from people... "the cigarette/times square thing was funny.."
disc 2 and the end of disc 1 are supposed to be gradually more abrasive and absurd... the way the loop refuses to fit on the tom lehrer thing being one of those intentionally maddening parts, included for that reason...

there is a certain lack of skill present in the production of certain parts, but its there because i wanted it to be. when i wanted something produced cleanly i worked with someone else to do it (joe beats, dj lowly at the end of disc 2 on junk poetry & the last track)... when i wanted something to sound like what i would do if i were trapped in a bomb shelter dying and going insane i got in the mindframe and produced some frankenstein track with all the fucked up stitches showing.

thanks for the feedback though :p

Last edited by b. dolan on Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:24 am
AirTreesWaterAnimals

Cool. Have you got the webspace to host the zipped file? yousendit will work for a while, but it only works for 7 days or 25 downloads.

I haven't even had a chance to listen to it yet... :\
Post Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:28 am
b. dolan
FBI agent

yeah... if someone else puts the compressed thing together i can put it up
Post Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:29 am
Jesse

Right on man, that's what you were going for, that's cool. I hope you don't take it as a negative that I wasn't feeling it. Like I said, I got my alley(s) and this didn't slide up it/them. I figured that any feedback is worth something to a dude who's creating something, whether you ultimately take much from the reaction or not. I thought I'd give you my honest reaction.

I know that as an artist myself, I definitely don't appreciate people saying nothing at all when they can't say anything nice. I want to know.
Post Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:46 pm
b. dolan
FBI agent

no doubt man... i wasnt being fescetious or anything when i said thanks :)
Post Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:59 pm
R. Kamidees

I listened to the Cigarette Incident while I was doing laundry and I was laughing my ass off. That is soo good.

I makes me want to take up smoking just so I can adopt that "fuck you" attitude. I'm such a poser.
Post Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:05 pm
Jesse

b. dolan wrote:
no doubt man... i wasnt being fescetious or anything when i said thanks :)

oh good, I was just a little thrown off by the playful tongue-out smiley.
Post Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:21 pm
Scharling

Pardon me for being the dumb kid in class.

This is a concept album, right? I'm nine tracks into it, and so far I like it. Very cinematic approach. It seems like you're not really allowing yourself to abide by any rules of traditional genres, like how the blues loved kinda just winds into you beating on the guitar, etc.

So far I really like everything except for the first track... Not sure the motivation behind that. I like the technique of noise you're using on 'the ghosts are coming.' More later. So far I'm digging it.
Post Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:57 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next