Register
interview with Bon Magazine (sweden)....Oct 21, 2002
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Press/Interviews/reviews

Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

interview with Bon Magazine (sweden)....Oct 21, 2002  Reply with quote  

How did you get started in hip hop?

"KRS One knitted me a sweater when I was 8. When I wear it...I AM hiphop. That's what he said. It melted into my skin. Now I am forever hot. All praises to the spiritual minded."

How important is the art of storytelling when you write lyrics?

"I am not well versed in the art of storytelling. I could be good at it without even knowing. It is important to make sense and stay true to the story that inspires the lyrics. I make sure to do that...because that's the way it will create congruent shapes in the mind of the listener."

Do you feel at all limited in the relationship to your listeners, when
they can't catch your videos on MTV?

"Does an author feel limited to his/her readers when there is not a movie to accompany it? Hell no. In fact, the visual interpretation usually bastardizes the original beauty. I'll do videos when I have enough time to fuck around in front of a camera and play with images. That's not my forte as of now."

Has the visual medium become too dominant a factor for underground hip
hop musicians?
"Of course not. That's not even close to being an issue. Most underground hiphop musicians can't even afford to get there music pressed on vinyl, nevermind worrying about a video."

You were one of the first rap artists to put a record out on the subject
of 9-11? What are your thoughts on the subject now?

"Not that it's something to brag about, but I was the absolute first. Not one of the first. And a year after the fact, I still remain to be one of the ONLY who has addressed the issue. The media disappointed more than I thought I could be disappointed by a pop medium. In typical fashion, a large majority of people in the independent press have started to raise a dissenting voice. About time, morons."
Post Mon Oct 21, 2002 5:02 pm
dorkasaurus

Quote:

Does an author feel limited to his/her readers when there is not a movie to accompany it? Hell no. In fact, the visual interpretation often bastardizes the original beauty

i concur. visual interpretations take away from the reader's/listener's interpretation. i may be alone in this (probably not though), but when you interpret a text a part of it becomes yours. yet when that text or lyrics are put into a visual medium, those visual images interrupt my vision and it all gets tainted a bit. because the visual interpretation is never matches yours exactly.
Post Wed Oct 23, 2002 12:14 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

here's a classic example. Read Stephen King's "It."

Then watch the movie.

I don't know how Stephen King didn't kill himself.
Post Wed Oct 23, 2002 12:18 am
dorkasaurus

totally.

the only movie that i think holds up to the book is pride and prejudice (the a and e version with colin firth). damn that is the best. almost six hours too.
Post Wed Oct 23, 2002 12:34 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

how about The Shining?

Can't really go wrong with Kubrik. When a great book is getting turned into a movie there should be a law that the movie is done by a classy director.
Post Wed Oct 23, 2002 12:36 am
dorkasaurus

the shining is a classic, no doubt about that, but there were many elements from the book that were cut out in the movie version. p and p stays true to the book.

classy directors.... would it were that all movies were made by classy directors.

most books are butchered when made into movies because they have to gut the book to make it fit the two hour format of a movie.

of the subject, but damn amelie is a great movie.
Post Wed Oct 23, 2002 1:00 am
Sarcastro

The Shining  Reply with quote  

Stephen King actually thought Kubrick did such a crappy job at directing the movie that he really didn't want the movie to be released and later in like 1996, 97 he had a "made for tv" movie of the shining (it was like 12 hours long) because he wanted the movie to be more factual to the novel that he wrote.

That's why J.D. Salinger never allowed "Catcher in the Rye" to be made into a movie
Post Wed Oct 23, 2002 10:32 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

J.D. Salinger is my hero then
Post Wed Oct 23, 2002 12:01 pm

sage, if catcher in the rye were to be made into a movie, who would you like to see play holden caulfield in the film? i say micheal rappaport. haha.
Post Wed Oct 23, 2002 12:54 pm
Sarcastro

Holden Caufield is my Idle  Reply with quote  

the only thing about catcher in the rye turnin into a movie would be that unless it is THE greatest movie it'll be let down from what the book was.

and Sage you probably know stuff about Salinger but if you don't the guy absolutly rules, after he published like 3, 4 novels he just left and went to live in like the woods in the mass. area, staying away from everyone and just writing.

He is the definition of a real artist, he wrote for the love of it, never released any of the novels/short stories which he wrote. I dont know I just find it amazing.
Post Wed Oct 23, 2002 10:58 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

first, Michael Rappaport was my favorite actor for a long time. I met him a couple times while I was living in Manhattan in 1996.

I saw him in Central Square Park once and said "Hey, when is Zebra Head 2" coming out?
He replied with an emphatic, "NEVER!"

haha. I would make out with him.

second, I don't think you should romanticize JD Salinger's condition. The dude doesn't write for the "love." He writes because he has an undying hammer in his head. He submits a thick pile of papers into a security box at the end of every week. Never meant to be read by us, because it's not a love issue. It's a sickness. One that I SLIGHTLY understand, but hope to never fully develop.
Post Wed Oct 23, 2002 11:15 pm
eggplant xanadu
try-harderator

"Can You Live With That!!!?....Black And White...Like This!!!!!?!!"

M.R.

Peace
Post Wed Oct 23, 2002 11:29 pm
Sarcastro

I Guess  Reply with quote  

I can kind of see what you're saying, but I don't know, I guess we'll never know exactly why he did leave and yet continue to write so much for basically no reason.

I always thought it was because of his hate for the media and the way they would, in a certain sense, attack his work. I guess you could say this is a weak excuse, especially from your standpoint (as an emcee criticism and attacks on your art are part of the job), but many of the greatest can't handle it (Isaac Newton would be the biggest example of this; different field but same concept.)

Your message was kind of ambigious though so I'm not sure if what I wrote is exactly what you were getting at.
Post Wed Oct 23, 2002 11:54 pm

yes, i concur, salinger is right in being righteous enough about his work as to save for ......well, for who knows what? a "catcher in the rye" film would be doomed, even with senor rappaport as holden. point in case, bruce willis failed in "breakfast of champions" as dwayne hoover. dont trivialize the classics by attempting film versions for the layman.
Post Thu Oct 24, 2002 1:57 am
Dee

The reason most videos suck is because videos are just advertisements for a product. Meaning that, unlike in music, a good video is one that convinces people to buy the album. There can be "artistic" videos, but those generally aren't good, because they don't successfully advertise for the album.
Post Thu Oct 24, 2002 7:11 am

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next