Search
Register
interview with Swedish music magazine, Sonic. Oct 21, 2002
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Press/Interviews/reviews

Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

interview with Swedish music magazine, Sonic. Oct 21, 2002  Reply with quote  

"Your first full length solo album and itīs like youīre releasing your diary. Isnīt it frightening to publish your life and your most intimate thoughts and opinions like that?"

"No. That's the impression it's meant to give, but really...those aren't my most intimate thoughts. That album is not a play-by-play of my life. It is hints of what I think and feel. Sometimes I try to explain what I go through in hopes that others can identify. Seems like a lot of people can. They're the people I made it for...and they're who the album is about."

There are some snippets on the "Personal Journals"-album of you around ten years old saying things like "To all those who said I wouldnīt last. donīt make me laugh". Thats very funny and it gives the impression that this album has been a lifelong project. Is "Personal Journals" the album you always wanted to make?

"Yes, it definitely is. I've intended on making an album like this since I first started writing seriously. I knew the kind of music and lyrics that moved me. It was important for me to make my contributions to that field."

What will your next project be?

The next album will be the Non-Prophets album entitled 'HOPE.' I am also working on an EP with Buck 65 and DJ Signify entitled 'No More Sleep."'

I read somewhere that you got pretty upset when "Personal Journals" was spread on the Internet. Why is that? If you disregard the whole economic aspect (which I understand is hard when you make your living by making music) isnīt it brilliant the way your music can be heard and experienced everywhere?

"I clearly explained my frustration and anger when that first happened. It had nothing to do with finances. It had to do with the manner in which I intended on presenting myself and my album to the public. There is a science to how music should be handled...especially in an album like this...and it is not 'brilliant' the way a lot of people throw random MP3s around like they're orphans."

Will you continue performing at battle jams and competitions and is it important for you to be a good freestyle- and battle-MC?

"I don't know what I will do. I work with the moment. It's important for me to be a good freestyler because that helps me in a lot of unforseeable situations, but being a good battle emcee was only good for stroking my ego and building my rep. It was an easy form of promotion."

On the one hand you have this deep connection with the hip hop-community. On the other hand if you compare your music with mainstream MTV-hip hop thereīs almost nothing in common besides the fact that you rhyme. What would you say is the basic hip hop-element in your music?

"The basic hiphop element is the fact that I am rhyming lots of words in a rhythmic manner over sampled music. I won't be upset if my albums get places in a non-hiphop category. The definition has spread so thin. I'd like to have my own category...something more accurate and specific to what I do."

You released "Makeshift Patriot" just a month after the 9/11-attacks. Can you say something about the track?

"It was written and recorded in a very intense time. I was disgusted by what I was hearing and seeing all around me. It was imperative that someone raised their voice to help people put the situation in perspective. And I decided to do so in my own special way. Attack of the media...indirect attack of its naive audience."

I see "Makeshift Patriot" mostly as an attack against the mainstrem media and itīs role in creating a patriotic bloodlust in the US. With the conclusion "Some of them dug for answers in the mess...but the rest were looking for trouble". Now this brings out the old theory about hip hop (or music in general) as a journalistic artform, and the rapper as a kind of reporter. The rapper as the one who asks questions and provides answers the mainstream media never does. What is your opinion on that?

"I agree completely. In moments such as these, the artist faces the moment when he/she must step the plate and make proper use of their skill. It is the greatest power the PEOPLE have. Too many people shit it away."

Do you think the US should start a military action against Iraq?

"I think we have gone beyond the point of thinking. In a time when we could have exercised great acts of compassion, we allowed a drugstore cowboy to play army with the skeletons in his daddy's closet. In English...of course not."
Post Mon Oct 21, 2002 6:06 pm
bobbythebear

okay, follow up question, and its one that gets a lot of dumb looks . . . its clear that we do need to do something. Bush is a fuckin ape surrounded by like-minded opportunists, oil and blahblahblah . . . we must do something?

what? poems and songs arent enough, rallies and student surveys arent enough. So what Does Sage Francis and everyone on his message board think should actually be DONE? no bullshit about changing the system either, you evasive rhetorical assholes - what specific actions need to be taken?

response?
Post Mon Oct 21, 2002 6:25 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

as I tried to express, we are beyond the point of no return. It's beyond our power to stop ANYTHING from happening. All we can do is voice our disinterest in what the govt has decided to do "for us."

This country is not going to last. I truly believe that we will have to fend for ourselves eventually. The United States of America is the country I was born into. Most of my friends and family are citizens of this nation. I consider it MY nation. It is one I will fight for, but only for the sake of protecting the people I love, respect and cherish. That happens to be all people who feel the same way about me...worldwide.

Right now...my style of fighting is expressing disapproval for all that our "leaders" are doing in the name of US. We must eventually take back what is ours. The integrity of the name that represents us.

What our "leaders" have chosen to do worldwide is currently beyond any solutions we, the people, could offer. All I can do is show my disapproval at this point. I want that disapproval to spread like wildfire throughout the nation of people I might have to kill and die for. It is important that we all understand that the wars America is fighting abroad has NOTHING to do with OUR best interest.

"Fuck what we're force fed. All I ever wanted,
was a warm bed...and a house that wasn't haunted."

I can do without the warm bed.
Post Mon Oct 21, 2002 6:37 pm
Motzarooney

The important thing about the war with Iraq is that US does not have the moral highground to attack Iraq. Heres a paper written by me and my dad that uses the just war doctrine to show that its not cool to send preemptive bombs against iraq.

www.geocities.com/ammspar10

peace (seriously)
Post Mon Oct 21, 2002 7:33 pm

Jump to: