Search
Register
interview for H1phop.com, Aug 22, 2002
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Press/Interviews/reviews

Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

interview for H1phop.com, Aug 22, 2002  Reply with quote  

First, as an independent artist how do you get to so many locations?

"Plains, trains, and automobiles."

I do not mean which vehicle, but how exactly money wise can you afford to get to different locations such as Canada, England, etc?

"Being an independent artist, there aren't too many fools dipping their dirty paws into my money pot. But for the most part, promoters in each respective location pay for me to visit their area and put on a performance. If I end up paying to go somewhere, I make sure the show money makes it all worth it. This is my job. I can't be losing money on trips I intend to make a profit off of."

When you are booked is the airfare and all costs paid for? Can you explain how that works.

"Yes, in most cases they are. I tour my ass off and put on an entertaining show...this helps. Promoters know they will make money by bringing me out because my name has a draw now. Each time I return to a club, the crowd grows...this is the benefit of having a good live performance. I try to make every show special and unique in some way...and that's what I advise other performers to do. Actually SHOWING UP to your scheduled performance is a good idea too."

What would you say too all the rhymers that have turned their PC's into home recording studios and think they will get a deal just by being an "ill" emcee? I personally have heard a lot of talented emcees through the net, but have never heard or seen them in a show. Do you have any thoughts on that?

"I have some important news for them. Ready? YOU ARE NOT GOING TO GET A DEAL. Log off and go outside. It's time to rock a microphone that doesn't plug into a soundcard."

Do you think the internet has helped create "icons" in independent hip hop?

"Well...publicists create icons. Fans create icons. Both of those entities exist online, so yes...the internet has been an avenue used to create hiphop icons. Just like littering the city walls with some ugly gold toothed smile.

What makes Sage Francis different?

"He loves you."

Hah, I am sure you are glad for all the fans you have but what about the fans that have just opened their eyes to hip hop? I've heard cases where college students have actually started listening to hip hop for the first time because of the whole "backpack, I am proud to wear quick silver shirts" trend. Being yourself is a good thing, but as a fan of hip hop from a young age and understanding the culture, do you have any thoughts on this?

"How the hell can college students just START listening to hiphop? It's been around for longer than they've been alive. I guess there's a time when we all stumble upon something, so I guess I am happy for them. I wonder if some rock and roll historian is being asked how he feels about rappers finally stumbling upon classic rock. I want to know the answer."

Ah, good analogy. I would imagine a lot of purest rock fans question the subcultures in their genre as well. Anyway, I am asking these questions because there seems to be a lot of negative attention about events being called "nerd" conventions. I just wanted your thoughts on that.

"'Nerd' is an ever-changing term placed on people who don't punch you in the face. I however, will punch you in the face. And so will any hiphopper I keep company with. So whatever these nerd conventions are, they have nothing to do with how many teeth you will lose."

Yea, I have never seen anyone calling someone a nerd after his teeth were missing. I would imagine it would sound more like a "whistle" if he tried. Anyway, what is going on right now for Sage Francis, and what is in the future?

"Lots of love and bear hugs. Albums. Books. Nerd conventions. Labels. Ex-girlfriends. Touring. Writing. Recording. Music. Movies. Emails. Letters. Poetry. Family."

Do you wake up every morning thinking about suicide only to spend the rest of your day scared of death?

"Yes."

Last edited by Sage Francis on Fri Aug 23, 2002 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Aug 22, 2002 9:38 pm
MOS

Re: interview for H1phop.com, Aug 22, 2002  Reply with quote  

These questions suck...ahhh i would ask the best questions cuz im neat
Post Thu Aug 22, 2002 10:01 pm
kilgore trout

its dope how you put like, four or five interviews up the same day

dopeness though i looked at all of them
Post Thu Aug 22, 2002 10:05 pm
MAGIstraight

...  Reply with quote  

dopeness?
Post Fri Aug 23, 2002 8:48 pm
MPLSTPGirl

Nerds  Reply with quote  

"'Nerd' is an ever-changing term placed on people who don't punch you in the face. I however, will punch you in the face. And so will any hiphopper I keep company with. So whatever these nerd conventions are, they have nothing to do with how many teeth you will lose."

I'm enjoying this answer best.
Post Sat Aug 24, 2002 12:35 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
disgruntled napkin

.  Reply with quote  

as am i
Post Sun Oct 20, 2002 4:07 am
ihaveagluegun

man, everyone quit dissing the questions, 'cause they aren't bad, they are just different... if we kept hearin all the same "good questions" we'd get pretty tired of them. anyway, i like learning new things even little things that I sure wouldn't think to ask.
Post Sun Oct 20, 2002 2:35 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Petrouchka Rasputin

Yeah... I liked that interview. New questions are good questions.

Sage, do you think you'll ever reach a point where you can afford not to give interviews, because you'll sell enough records without that publicity? Would you miss them?
Post Sun Oct 20, 2002 4:12 pm

Jump to: