Search
Register
WHY do minorities(you know who) use that primitave dialect?
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

Bathtub

WHY do minorities(you know who) use that primitave dialect?  Reply with quote  

ALSO KNOWN AS ......>EBONICS.
please give me your insight.
and also, for all you lameiods who want to label me as a rasist for asking that, then you may be the ignorant ones. :shock:
Post Thu Jul 11, 2002 11:27 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Betamaximus

why dont you go to a neighborhood full of "you know who's" at night, and ask us personally? ass.
Post Fri Jul 12, 2002 2:07 am
pony boy

huh?  Reply with quote  

maybe you're not a rasist but you're definitely a racist

learn to spell before criticizing "primitive dialect"
Post Fri Jul 12, 2002 2:18 am
quasifoto

ass  Reply with quote  

yeah, pretty brave to spout such ignorance on a message board where you're untouchable. ask minorities in person, coward.
Post Fri Jul 12, 2002 6:02 am
Reggie

Seriously, Bathtub, shut the fuck up. What you need to learn will not be coming from this or any message board.
Post Fri Jul 12, 2002 6:24 am
MessiahCarey

Woah.
Post Fri Jul 12, 2002 7:43 am
td3

"oh that is WACK"  Reply with quote  

even my grandmother isnt that ignorant about "those minorities"

wake up young one, its 2002 not 1948

Peace
td3
Post Fri Jul 12, 2002 7:46 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ERNIE RHODES

As someone who values knowledge and education, I think it is my duty as a minority (you know who) to tell you what the deal is.

"Ebonics" or slang can be traced back to the days of slavery. Obviously, slaves were not taught to read or write.They were not taught to speak formally either. Any English they spoke was adopted from listening to there ownwers or other caucasians, which means they only got bits and peices of the language. This "new language" has remained in the minority (you know who) culture and evolved over a few centuries. I guess now days they call it slang or "Ebonics". My personal favorite is "Jive".

NOW YOU KNOW
Post Fri Jul 12, 2002 8:04 am
ERNIE RHODES

I'm not mad at the question, just a little offended by the way it was asked.

Love and peace to everyone. There are clearly some enlightend people here.
Post Fri Jul 12, 2002 8:17 am
SyMbOLyK

People just use it soem people are around others and its just how it is, i dont think people do it on purpose.....
Post Fri Jul 12, 2002 8:55 am
argot

what  Reply with quote  

What the fuck???
You need to educate yourself, boy(you know who)
Post Fri Jul 12, 2002 8:59 am
dabinduppes

YA fuck people who are are different than you....with the demographics of this country changing ever so qucikly your gonna have a rough life....
Post Fri Jul 12, 2002 9:00 am
Reggie

"Ebonics" is a term coined by a West Coast English Professor (I think it was at Berkely, but I might be wrong) in order to justify a new course of study and to elevate himself within academia. The idea of "ebonics" or "jive" or any notion of "blackspeak" is ludicrous. Black people do not speak the same slang universally any more than any other color people. Slang is a regional spoken anomaly, sometimes spreading beyond localities, but often specific to neighborhoods. If this is a given, then the reason some slang might seem indigenous to a particular color is due to institutional racism that keeps neighborhoods segregated.

I find the very notion of "ebonics" offensive and misleading. Slang is not a fixed "language" that can be taught or translated into English, it is an ever-changing mode of speak with a variety of uses and sources and having an unlimited potential for reinterpretation. Not unlike all "regular" languages.
Post Fri Jul 12, 2002 9:05 am
MessiahCarey

Reggie wrote:

Slang is not a fixed "language" that can be taught or translated into English, it is an ever-changing mode of speak with a variety of uses and sources and having an unlimited potential for reinterpretation. Not unlike all "regular" languages.

Only more exaggerated.

i.e. - That's ill may have originally meant "That's really impressive" but I've heard it used to the contrary as well.

Slang is not a language.

Nor is ebonics, which is supposed to be a formal representation of a particular group of slang terms.

Peace,
Shane
Post Fri Jul 12, 2002 9:42 am
ERNIE RHODES

I agree with Reggie. Language is always changing and evolving. He put out some facts about the term "Ebonics", it's origin and how he views it which I appreciate because it was needed. I still stand behind my statement that what bathtub called ebonics or a "primative dialect" used by some (not all) African Americans contains words and grammatical patterns evolved from a people who were defining there own language in some ways because there was no formal one estabilshed for them. I'm not an expert on this topic. I am however, one of the few people in today's world that has been blessed with the ability to trace my ancestory back to the late 1600's when the first Africans in my family were purchaced by a Dutch family in Viginia. I have had oral history lessons about my background my entire life. One of those lessons was about language (or the lack of it). If my post viewed as holier than thou or self righteous, it's because I wrote when I was hot under the collar and didn't think to research anything before I sent it. I'm opened minded and resect EVERYONE. If I have or give incorrect information, tell me and I will respectfully stand corrected.

I WISH LOVE AND PEACE TO ALL. Even those who don't wish it back. On that note I'll retire from this post with the hopes that people will keep an open mind and stay positive.
Post Fri Jul 12, 2002 9:51 am

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next