Search
Register
TRUCKER HATS
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Wallet Inspector

TRUCKER HATS  Reply with quote  

I see Joey Beats commented on Esoteric's new "Essays on Esoterrorism". Just wanted to see what others think.

october 13th, 2002
Okay, during the freestyles at our Providence release party last night I dissed someone in the crowd for wearing a trucker hat. I take it back, but what is it about these trucker hats that everyone loves so dearly? There is no louder way to say that you do business with Allston Beat than by sporting one of these hats made popular by redneck cargo haulers nationwide. I am all for new trends before they become new trends (and maybe 2 or 3 weeks after that), but this one really disgusts me.
It’s fine when I see one on a journalist or your typical indie rock kid. It works for him…it goes with his size XM (extra medium) vintage Camaro t-shirt and retro Ponys. He’s a horse of a different color, he is not the enemy, at least in this scenario. By the way, those Ponys are another piece of retro-culture that burn me up. This is the company that made the $20 alternative to the Air Jordans in the late 80’s called “City Wings.” Sounds like a bad tv show. Now I'm an old schooler, and no one was rocking those back in the day except Spud Webb. If you were, you certainly weren’t fresh, so why rock them now? Oh that’s right, it’s hip to be square. It’s fresh to be square. Too-cool-to-be-cool.

That brings me back to the trucker hat. The line between hipster and hip-hop has clearly been blurred. Forgive me for using the word “hipster,” because that’s a little “too hip” these days too. Let’s face it: the trucker hat has replaced the backpack. El-p is a genius, putting his label’s label on the front of these things. Talk about knowing your audience. I was at Scribble Jam in Ohio, sort of like a Roswell, New Mexico for hip-hoppers, and he was there with a fistful of green. I thought, damn, he has to be making money to be wearing one of those every time I see him. I am not mad at him though, I respect him (and all trendsetters) greatly. It’s not his fault that the crowd he attracted happens to be those “avant-garde” hug-rap followers who rush to the front row of a show to stand there and look at you, almost as if they had a notebook, a pencil, and a deadline to meet for the Boston Globe.

These people, accompanied by their trucker hats, too-long-to-be-a-hip-hopper haircuts and thick framed I-was-beat-up-in-high-school-but-still-try-to-get-laid glasses, make me want to vomit. A message to all you trucker hat half-ways: Pharrell can get away with it. You cannot. Well, maybe you can, but not with me around. Not with any type of real hip-hop playing in the background. Oh wait, wrong again! Virtually every Manhattan bar I enter, I hear a familiar drum break, scratch, or sample...all provided by some "dj" with size 26 corduroys on and a "Coke Is It" throwback tee. Where were you in 82? Fuck it, where were you in 92?

“The return of vinyl, and everyone’s all for it.” Bullshit. I say bury it. Leave it to the people who truly appreciate it, the people who have been carrying crates of wax for years, not the people who bought a new Volkswagen to transport it. Yes, I stole that scenario from the little car commercial primetime television has been running, I’m not even sure if it’s Volkswagen, I think it might be Hyundai. Whatever it is it’s sickening. It's bad enough when you walk into Urban Outfitters with your girl (that should be the only reason you are there) and you see Biz Markie t-shirts packaged like 12" records and placed on racks that are supposed to look like vinyl bins. FUCK THAT.

Leave vinyl and everything that goes along with it for the people who truly appreciate it, not for the people who will throw it in their closet next year, right next to their trucker hat. -Esoteric
Post Tue Oct 15, 2002 5:55 pm
August Spies

wow hip hop is silly.

as ive said before im primaily a punk/hardcore kid who listens to hip hop, ive been wearing trucker hats for a while. I just think they feel and look better than normal baseball hats... and I found one in a thrifts store with a picture of a little kid on it.

Ive never seen a hip hop kid with a trucker hat before, since when did this become a big phenomenon?

anyway... its a hat! wtf is going on here? has hip hop degenerated to the piont where everyone has to bitch about a clothing accesory?!? Fucking shit. In the punk scene there used to be some debates about fashion styles, but they had a point to it. LIke "fucking 30 dollar anarchy shirts from hot topic are pure irony and stupidity" and even then the debates seemed silly and most people ignored it.

a fucking hat. merde.

EDIT: I can kinda see where he is coming from with vinyl, but I disagree. I buy vinyl because I think it is a better medium (for a lot of reasons) id rather have mroe people buying it.... plus when they get tired of it, its in the crates for me!
Post Tue Oct 15, 2002 6:11 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dee

The only advantage with vinyl, other than nostalgia, as far as I can see is that the low end sounds better. Other than that, digital is the waaaaave of the future.

About the trucker hats, I think Eso's rant is funny...I wouldn't take it too seriously, but he has a point.
I agree with him MORE about the shoes, actually...the hat, its like, who the hell cares...Pharell looks dope wearing it, and just like when he was a kid, kids today are gonna wear the accessories of their heroes.
Post Tue Oct 15, 2002 6:28 pm
futuristxen

I bought a Deep Space 9mm trucker hat the other night as a matter of fact. But the hat and I are having philosophical diffrences. I liked the concept when I bought the hat. But I am not a hat wearing person. So what I have is 10 dollar shelf ornament.

I think the movement spins out of an anti-backpacker backlash. Kids going out of their way to dress and act not hiphop at all, just because they get sick of having to present their credentials at every turn. So it's kind of like "fuck hiphop" and what you think hiphop is. But it looks as if, all that's happened is that the backpacker kids are now just trucker hat kids, so the plan will backfire. But SMART marketing on El-P's part. Def Jux knows its audience better than the audience knows themselves, and they cater to it very well.

this pisses me off though. It's just another instance of hiphop "culture"; and shit like this bothers me, because it seems like it's just the product of hiphop's bitchiness...I don't need music to be acting as a segregating influence in my life. Bringing people together is one thing, but bringing them together and holding them together against their will and making statements about there moms is fucking annoying as piss.

I wish people would just make fucking music and cut all the pretensious bullshit.

I don't know if any of this makes any sense totally, but randomly it's how I feel about that essay.
Post Tue Oct 15, 2002 6:28 pm
August Spies

I realize it was somewhat tounge-in-cheek but ive honestly heard a lot of shit about trucker hats from several places recently.

I think vinyl has a ton of advantages but thats probably suited for another thread.
Post Tue Oct 15, 2002 6:31 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Joe has his own thoughts on Trucket Hats, and I would really like for him to rant.

As for me, I never thought much of it at all. Eso's commentary made me laugh.

I have one thing to say to Esoteric though:

Some follow trends...some set them. How's your polo collection?
Post Tue Oct 15, 2002 6:50 pm
Dee

^hahaa, I was wondering something along those lines.

My shoes are wu wear....am I a consumerist idiot? Yesh, yesh i am.
Post Tue Oct 15, 2002 7:02 pm
amo1ne

Actually trucker hats are old school steez. I don't rock them but if you look at any old school videos like Wild Style etc, you'll see b-boys rocking mesh caps, just like sheepskin jackets and those vintage style jeans with the ripples are coming back into style. I don't generally sport trucker hats but I got a dope yellow and blue 'Fuct' one with a dude on a polo horse but hes got a rifle in his hand instead of that jockey stick thing. I think it's dope but I hardly wear it.
Post Tue Oct 15, 2002 7:15 pm
Dee

To be honest, I'm thinking of buying a "Free ODB" hat.
Post Tue Oct 15, 2002 7:17 pm
JOEYBEATS

HAHAHAAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1  Reply with quote  

Sorry Sage, I'm going to follow my new philosophy and keep my mouth shut on this one. The main reason is I've met some great kids/supporters/avid fans of quality hip hop and art rocking those things. I would hate to be the bully in school cracking on someone's gear.

I will say this...I agree with Eso BUT BUT BUT...if I were to rant I would've taken the subject in a completely different direction. I like where he brought it and I thought it was well written; enough for me to openly prop him on it.

My arguement would be more along the lines of.....ehhh, STOP Joe, shut the fuck up!

I'm out before I look like a big dickhead.

Joe.
Post Tue Oct 15, 2002 7:19 pm

td3

id be interested in hearing what you have to say Joey

haha

Sage was right about Eso and the Polo shit... as much as i like Eso

td3
Post Tue Oct 15, 2002 7:37 pm
Alxotty

I wear mesh caps simply because they are well ventalated. I skateboard, so having a sweaty head aint too much fun, especially with my super thick hair.
Post Tue Oct 15, 2002 7:38 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

sidenote to Eso:

What are you wearing on your new album cover? JESUS! What if your 1992 self were to see you wearing that? He'd call you a sucka! You ain't representin with gear like that
Post Tue Oct 15, 2002 7:39 pm
futuristxen

I like to read Joe's rants. Whether I agree with them or not they are always well constructed and definitely something to think about.
Post Tue Oct 15, 2002 7:42 pm
ImTheDevil

that was my boy's def jux cap eso dissed at the show

he and i were rocking those hats since last century

they just look dirt ball and make me laugh

hahahahhahahahahahaa

at the show eso made fun of beyonders air force ones because they were a month old

he needed to buy another pair of kicks with satans checkmark of aproval
Post Tue Oct 15, 2002 8:57 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next