Search
Register
Question To Those with Production Knowledge....
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

BoggleTheory

Question To Those with Production Knowledge....  Reply with quote  

Do any of you know the steps or process one would take to get your own material burned to vinyl. What format would the tracks have to be in to get burnt? How expensive is it? Is it possible to get just a couple copies made in order to perform original material with a live DJ?? Any help is much appreciated, thanks.
Post Thu Jul 11, 2002 1:07 pm
excellrec

depends on where your at  Reply with quote  

Asumming your not going to travel out of your area to get it done, you have to look around for a place to do it for you, or i guess you could mail that ish. You just gotta find someone with a cutter. approxametely 70-100 would be a typical price to get two albums cut. Vestax or Stanton, i forget which, are coming out with a cutter thats gonna sell for about 500 from what i have seen, it's not out yet but thats what i hear, might be a wise investment. Cut about a hundred other cats albums and shes paid for herself, not to mention you get to cut your own. I would like to purchase one, hell, with crappy d.j.'s sprout out of college dorms and suburban communities left and right, i dont think it would be to hard to get that buisness rollin, as for formats, it all depends on what's playing the input source, the cutters will usually have an r.c.a. input with a level meter on them. i 'spose some might have optical or spdif. There again, find the cats in your area with the machine and ask 'em what kind of line-ins the cutter has, probably r.c.a. though, in which case yould probably be able to go mp3 and then onto a c.d. with as high of bitrate as possible, although i doubt if wax will be able to even match the resolution of 24-bit 128kb's. Hope i helped, good luck
Post Thu Jul 11, 2002 3:05 pm
Petrouchka Rasputin

uh  Reply with quote  

"i doubt if wax will be able to even match the resolution of 24-bit 128kb's"

Vinyl has unlimited resolution, being analogue. And 128 isn't high anyway. If you have your shit in mp3 format, make it 256k or higher, or you'll regret it. That said - you should use 16bit .wav files... no point in compressing your music into inferior quality by going to mp3, if you are working with wav-quality samples to begin with.

It would definitely be a good idea to look around for someone local who owns a dubplate cutter.. shouldn't cost more than $40-$50 for just a couple records, judging from the prices I've seen.
Post Thu Jul 11, 2002 5:30 pm
Jesse

well yeah except you can play a dub plate about fifty times tops before it's silent... and it sounds like crap way before then. they're soft.

but like... BURN to vinyl? sometimes I feel silly when I catch myself talking about "pressing" a CD... but that's gross.
Post Thu Jul 11, 2002 7:15 pm

Jump to: