Search
Register
Henry Miller
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

Tony@Beyond Space

Henry Miller  Reply with quote  

What other books should i check out from Henry Miller? The only books ive read from him are Tropic of Cancer and Tropic of Capricorn ive been wanting to check more of his stuff for awhile i just finished a good Che book so i have some time LMK

Thanks
Post Tue Jul 09, 2002 12:59 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dense

check out the 'rosy crucifixion' triology; 'sexus', 'plexus' and 'nexus'.... that shit's amazing.....
Post Tue Jul 09, 2002 1:12 am
SneepSnopDotCom
COCKRING WRAITH

Yeah... I just finished Sexus.... I'd be interested in hearing your opinions on Miller... anyone's opinions. I am torn.... he has moments where he just gets his mind flowing and he is easily one of the best writers of all time... but at other points, he just falls back on his ego, talks of how he has all the answers... thinks he is a more evolved person, and yet fucks over everyone he supposedly cares about in real life.... he was a slave to his cock... and he tries to intellectualize it and it comes off as strange to me.... when he fucked his good friend's wife just to do it and then in the next page talks about how far beyond things he is... I just rolled my eyes.

But yeah, amazing writer.
Post Tue Jul 09, 2002 1:49 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Awww mn

but isn't that essentially what a writer is? part-narcissist, part-insecure-freak?

i think as a writer you've got to be somewhat arrogant when you write because you got to tell yourself "Is what I'm writing important enough for others to read?".

but that's just me. i really dig David Foster Wallace because he is arrogant and self-deprecating. that's a hard balance to achieve as a writer, without sounding either like a loser or a smug, complacent jerk-off.
Post Tue Jul 09, 2002 1:59 pm
SneepSnopDotCom
COCKRING WRAITH

boy, I hope you are right....

I'm all about being an arrogant, insecure freak. Who do I call to inform them I'm supposed to be rich now?
Post Tue Jul 09, 2002 2:54 pm
Bandini
WIZARD APPRENTICE

The Air Conditioned Nightmare is a good one. Miller is very arrogant, and I do not believe that is necessary for a writer. It is confidence that is crucial to the idea "what I'm writing is important for others to read." Being arrogant is when your ideas of grandeur are unwarranted. I'd like to think that all writers are not arrogant, but confident of their abilities to observe, interpret, and communicate the world/themselves to the reader.
Post Tue Jul 09, 2002 6:17 pm
Awww mn

let me start off by saying that Christopher Walken you are the best. Part-muppet, part dancing cadaver, you are an inspiration to me. rock on

anyway, ok I may have jumped the gun when I use the word arrogant. that word to me has so many different connotations. when I say that every writer has to have a little arrogance in them, I meant the whole idea is that as a writer you have to be a little self-centered, because the motivation for writing a lot of the time is that you believe you've got something important to say and that it's a message important enough for the reader to commit some time to. you can say that's confidence and that works. I think it's just a balance of humility and arrogance that makes someone interesting to read. I don't want to read someone who's all pedantic and condescending. But for me, that kind of intellectual masturbation is redeemed when the writer catches himself in a humble moment and has the ability to laugh at himself. and that all depends on how well it's executed. it doesn't have to be on those extremes, but hey. balance of the scales it can't be challenged or expelled. soon as somebody lost someboy else prevails. oh shit aceyalone crept into my veins again.
Post Wed Jul 10, 2002 1:50 pm
SneepSnopDotCom
COCKRING WRAITH

Whatev
Post Wed Jul 10, 2002 3:32 pm
mr self distrukt

well, actually...  Reply with quote  

emily dickinson is on of my all-time favorite poets. and almost ALL of her work was published postmortem.

she wrote and wrote and wrote thousands of poems and letters, keeping it all within the confines of her family's home. extremely private and never seeking any kind of attention from it. no ego. no sense of arrogance. no so-called confidence, even. she just wrote to satisfy her muse.

only after her death did her sister find almost two-thousand poems...

following and satisfying one's muse, that's what writing is to me. the way i live hip-hop even. some of us have a muse that won't ever let us be...

and mine just doesn't care about other people's reactions/interpretations of what i create.
Post Wed Jul 10, 2002 3:37 pm

Jump to: