Search
Register
Sage, would you ever sign to a major label....
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

mc poohammer

i think that very few videos are meant to complement the song. the best videos ive seen in a long time were at the culturama video festival in la. they had videos from non phixion, several from mf doom, sole, busdriver and many others. the best one out of them all was the buck 65 video.

i agree that most videos on mtv are pure garbage. but i also agree with abacus, bjork makes some damn good videos, i bought the dvd for vespertine and its damn good.
Post Wed Oct 09, 2002 6:59 pm
Moolah

I like most all of Tool's videos. Their latest one Parabola is really amazing. But in general they add very little and are used to promote good looking "artists".

Where would the pop market be without videos??? It wouldn't even remotely resemble what it does today.
Post Wed Oct 09, 2002 7:01 pm
Bleys

Music is about getting a message out and getting heard (if not, why ever record it? except for your own vanity, which would be a pretty shitty reason)... That said, and combined with the fact that most everyone likes money (hey, it's capitalism) I can't see why Sage wouldn't sign to a record label that allowed him the right amount of creative freedom.

I have a friend who used to do A&R for Dreamworks record... he knows a lot of people. I mentioned it once to Joe... I'll mention it again sometime.

As for a video? Why wouldn't Sage make a video? Unless he has some aversion to film or something.

I'm sick of people with this silly idea that having a video or a major label contract instantly makes you a so-called "sell out." Selling out means changing your images, music, content, etc. to please a demographic or a business plan... it doesn't mean making money.

I mean, god, Sammy Sosa is such a sell-out for going to the big leagues. If he really loves the game, why wouldn't just stay living in poverty playing ball on the streets of the Dominican Republic? What a selfish jerk.

It's just flawed logic.

-JC
Post Wed Oct 09, 2002 7:28 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

I would sign to a major label under conditions that catered to my art and approach.

The label that draws up a proper contract and pushes my material correctly is a smart bunch of fuckers.

I would do a music video if I had access to film and editing equipment. I don't have a burning desire to do this, but once I get involved in it I'm sure I will have a blast.

I'll tell you one thing...I'm sick of these hack "videographers" talking game as if they can do something special for me...if they could JUST get the right funding. 10 Gs at least.

sucker, please. I respect the guerilla artist. You college whores are such bitches. Gimme a super 8, razor, and tape.
Post Wed Oct 09, 2002 7:39 pm
Bleys

Talk to Dan Rierdon. He'd do something dope and probably for nothing. You know him, you've probably seen his shit... it's sick. I'd offer my own services, but I know he's got way more skill than me and deserves first dibs if he wants it. He can use my camera if he wants... it's a nice camera (basically what Sodderburgh used to film Full Frontal... though it's the next model down).

Beyond that, I'll make you something and I don't need any funding... I'm used to working with no budget (I'm in the middle of producing a computer game with nothing... and going up against games that have budgets of $5 million... so, you know).

But there's a catch: I don't know what the hell I'm doing.
Post Wed Oct 09, 2002 7:50 pm
td3

hahah

i HOPE that last post was sarcastic or joking

td3
Post Wed Oct 09, 2002 7:52 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

speaking of videos, did anyone ever see Buck's video for "Pants on Fire"?

it's fucking DOPE.

I mean...that's something I would expect out of a 5 digit budget...but most couldn't freak it.

and I have enough problems relying on other people to do my website...nevermind a video.
Post Wed Oct 09, 2002 8:11 pm
Mojo the helper monkey

Yes! Buck's video is great. It fits him and his style perfectly. A video on Super8 would be very cool. Probably about a thousand times better than video. I think Sage is one of the few artists that in my mind could make a good music video of live footage. There have been VERY few good live videos, in my mind at least.
Post Wed Oct 09, 2002 8:17 pm
16 cENTS

yes  Reply with quote  

Sage Francis wrote:
speaking of videos, did anyone ever see Buck's video for "Pants on Fire"?

it's fucking DOPE.

I mean...that's something I would expect out of a 5 digit budget...but most couldn't freak it.

and I have enough problems relying on other people to do my website...nevermind a video.

that video is dope......... i seem to catch it every once in a while on much music (the canadian mtv) it is extremly fresh..... i herd he got a tone of fines from it tho. something about driving unsafe (camera men on windows) and not having insurance on the taxi
Post Wed Oct 09, 2002 8:20 pm
Dee

Scarface's My Block video is extremely dope.
Post Wed Oct 09, 2002 8:25 pm
mc poohammer

hell yeah sage, that was the buck video i saw at the festival. it was by far the best one they showed on there. unless if you count sole's bottle of humans where he's pushing maximum density.
Post Wed Oct 09, 2002 9:19 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2