Search
Register
interview with Arizona paper 9/24/02
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Press/Interviews/reviews

Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

interview with Arizona paper 9/24/02  Reply with quote  

1.) In a brief statement, who is SAGE FRANCIS?

"Whoooooooo!!!"

2.) How did you get into hip-hop?

"I cheated on the test, but man...I REALLY wanted in. And it worked."

3.) We've read that you spent a month recording at the
ANTICOMMUNE. What was that expireince like? Anything
strange go down?

"I slept on the floor of the small studio room. We had lots of good times. I saw DJ Mayo and his girlfriend move out. I saw Alias and his wife move out. I saw Sole and Sixtoo go at each other's throat. I saw myself fumble around with equipment I had no idea about for a whole month."

4.) Where do you find Inspiration when you write?

"Words, ideas, concepts, interactions, people and relationships inspire me. Obviously."

5.) With each track blessed with un-parrelled flow and
crisp/complimentary beats, how does one pick a
favorite on "Personal Journals"? which track are you
most proud of? (why?)

"Uhhh. I don't feel the flow is all you just said it was. And I don't have a favorite, but I am most proud of Inherited Scars and Runaways...and Eviction Notice."

6.)Did you ever think you'd be where you are today?

"Lying on a floor, all alone in Providence, staring at a computer screen? Hell the fuck no."

7.) Who've you enjoyed working with the most?

"Joe Beats"

8.) Is there anything you have ever wanted to say in
an interview but no ones ever asked? Tell us....

"I wish someone would ask me how much money I have spent on sex over the years of a horrible addiction. I wouldn't answer it though...I would come up with a fake answer and act as if it was a silly question."

9.) What advice would you have for someone trying to
make it?

"No one is going to 'discover' you. Don't ever let an outside source mold you into what they want. And people will degrade you when you try to make something of yourself...let that fuel your fire. Do your thing honestly and unapologetically."

10.) Whats one thing your fans would be surprised to
know about you?

"I am 25."

Last edited by Sage Francis on Tue Sep 24, 2002 1:06 am; edited 2 times in total
Post Tue Sep 24, 2002 12:49 am
mike fields

"I wish someone would ask me how much money I have spent on sex over the years of a horrible addiction. I wouldn't answer it though...I would come up with a fake answer and act as if it was a silly question."

holy shit aul-pay. thats funny, i think i woke my roommate up.....time to tell him taht i was really on some cooler, less sage francis, website

thanks for the a.m. chuckle

ha
Post Tue Sep 24, 2002 12:57 am
maxamillion

The interviewer was the worst but the awnsers are killing me, eventhough there's like no point to this interview
Post Tue Sep 24, 2002 4:34 am
Jocker

arizona suxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

to hot and the chicks dont put out like you would think

i heard phoenix has gr888888888888888

Hookers
Post Thu Sep 26, 2002 1:02 pm
mc poohammer

i thought you were from england?
Post Thu Sep 26, 2002 7:07 pm
dorkasaurus

perhaps i mistaking the matter entirely, but RI stands for rhode island, one of the 50 states in the u.s.
usually england, part of the united kingdom (england, wales, scotland, and northern ireland?) is represented as UK.

if i am wrong about what you were talking about, sorry. i just like to butt in.
Post Fri Sep 27, 2002 11:10 am
mc poohammer

yeah, you are wrong. supposedly jocker is a refugee from the mean streets of england. and then he relocated to woonsocket to become a proffessional squeegeist.

no harm done.

fucken ace.(directed at jocker)
Post Fri Sep 27, 2002 2:08 pm
SergOne

if you think az has great hookers then you must like to fuck transvestites
Post Wed Oct 02, 2002 1:11 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
eclectica

question  Reply with quote  

i was wondering. i live on an island where there is a very small hiphop community. sage francis and slug are the rappers we have been talkin alot about for the past year. maybe cuz sage was here and slug is coming. but i wanna know....

what is sage to you? how many copies has he sold of personal journalist? is his community in the us big or are you just a few clever people with loud voices? when will sage be recognized as mainstream? where does he stand compared to slug?

iīm new here and have come from far far away.....bear with me :)

.:we donīt all get along but we sing the same song/ party for the fight to write:.
Post Wed Oct 02, 2002 2:59 am
MaggyMoller

tíhí
Post Wed Oct 02, 2002 12:55 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
unspoken_disagreement

I've always thought that getting into album sales is dangerous. An artists popularity should have no part in someones reasoning to like or dislike them. I happen not to like most top40 music, but i dont think just because a group sells albums i'm not going to like them.
By the way, interview is funny as fuck.
Post Wed Oct 02, 2002 6:40 pm
Cru Jones

Re: question  Reply with quote  

[quote="eclectica"]...

what is sage to you? how many copies has he sold of personal journalist? is his community in the us big or are you just a few clever people with loud voices? when will sage be recognized as mainstream? where does he stand compared to slug?

i dont know about the mainstream part.
i view that as more of a nightmare.
but sage is definitely getting momentum going faster and faster by the minute.
he is an undeniable talent.
people here freestlyes and think they are well thoughtout/written songs.
people cry because he expresses things in words they have been feeling for years and never been able to say.

as far as his popularity/following in comparison to slug goes...
in the genre of independent hip-hop slug is the big man on campus.
everyone knows him, he is a very good stepping stone to get people into good emcees.
he's the cheerleader whose slept with everyone.
slug is known by many and like by plenty.
sage on the other hand is known by lots but loved by all.
sage is starting to get respect from everyone i talk to.
even kids that only listen to visionaries, legends, dead prez, def jux, etc. are starting to get infected by sage.
i am constantly spreading the gospel of sage and dorian three to people but it takes time.
they have to train their brain to be able to have an emcee effect them that much with their intellect.
i would honestly say sage is the most talked about emcee right now, with good reason. he has presented his material and let people come to him. sage has never been forced down the throats of any people, or had his talents overrated.
he deserves every piece of recognition he gets.
those of us that have liked him for years knew what many people are just starting to realize.

so to answer you question eclectica,
yes sage IS well known as far as this niche of hip-hop is concerned.
and this will only grow.
he was hiphopinfinity's #1 emcee for good reason.
he is incerdibly respected among those in the know and has created quite a strong backbone for himself to work off in the future.
his best attribute in my opinion is his grasp of the english language and use of varied ways to present it. this will not only aid him in grasping fans from different areas, but makes him unarguably the most versatile emcee out.
his talent is shown over live bands, studio work, spoken word, and obviously freestyle.
put it this way...
when kids tell me they want to be an emcee i play them a sage song filled with thought and emotion then an amazing freestlye and tell them to return when they can affect people like that.
Post Thu Oct 03, 2002 2:20 am
maxamillion

.:we donīt all get along but we sing the same song/ party for the fight to write:.

So right on!!!
Post Thu Oct 03, 2002 2:49 am
eclectica

thank you, mr.cru jones :)

and sage, how did you like the pics ;)

Post Thu Oct 03, 2002 6:48 am
WantedSpice

Re: eclectica's question  Reply with quote  

I first heard of Sage on the UW-Stout campus promotions website and I came down to catch him doing a spoken word performance and I really, really dug it..........

Sage wouldn't let us clap in between pieces so I found the Non-Prophets Forum by following the hyperlink that the Stout music promotion group had put up next to the announcement of his performance.......I wanted to express my appreciation for his work and find out more about him.........

This forum seems to be a great way for Sage to hang out after the show with folks that have seen and heard his work and would like talk to him, tell him things about themselves and about how they feel about his work and get to know more about him........but he can still get his rest and also travel the world, like be in Australia, all at the same time.........

I'm waiting now for Amazon.com to send me my copy of "Personal Journals"..........it's got a "takes 4-5 days" status on it, for some reason, so it will be awhile.........and it won't be signed, which it could have been, if I hadn't been being so shy when Sage was here, in person, standing right in front of me......I so should have stayed after his show and bought my copy direct from Sage himself and get it signed and all........that was real dumb on my part.........

Ya, for me, I couldn't dance about cuz he wasn't doing music and I couldn't yell and clap for joy, cuz he wouldn't let us........It seemed he had alot of material he wanted to share with us in the short time he had.........

So I came here and read all kinds of things about his work and checked out all the links.........It has greatly enhanced my experience of the one live performance I got to see of Sage's work and I'm quite sure it will enhance my experience of Sage even more when the "Personal Journals" CD makes it here!!!
Post Thu Oct 03, 2002 4:33 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next