Search
Register
an email I recieved from a disgruntled female hiphopper.
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Netsmad

misogyny is tired.  Reply with quote  

I'm not gonna try to compare blowjobs to lynchings....fuck that. I will say that, as a woman who loves hip hop, it's hard to feel accepted and respected by many of the men who love hip hop. Although I've never been one to let my role as a woman be defined by the masses, it's also not in my nature to giggle and turn the other cheek to flat out misogyny and disrespect. I'm tired of the constant portrayal of women as sexual conquests and money grubbing whores who are the sum of their body parts. I'm especially tired of the hostility directed at women who don't play these games.... If you are to point out the misrepresentation of women you are looked upon by many as a militant bitch, or a dyke, or whatever else. It's flat out reverse psychology. Women are not merely groupies and hip hop video scenery, and if we could charge the cement walls that shut us out, we could make many more valuable contributions to hip hop.
Post Sat Sep 28, 2002 2:54 am
Ryan

well some of it's not done in all seriousness.. like Murs dedication to all the women who sucked his dick on his "Murs Rules the World" album.. i really don't think it's all serious.. some of it is but i don't think the ones who throw that stuff in their rhymes and expect to get props are ppl you should be looking for respect from anyways, right.. i mean hey you can't get respect everywhere you go.. any hip hop head knows that respect comes when given more then taken.. and women talk just as much shit about men.. probly more.. it goes both ways i dunno why you're stressing yourself over it.. if you've got knowledge or skills that rival a man's then why would you even feel the need to size him up? or feel held down by him.. ppl in hip hop without a total fix of respect just suck.. and you can't do much about it..
Post Sat Sep 28, 2002 3:06 am
Netsmad

hmmm  Reply with quote  

I'm not sitting around picking all lyrics apart and trying to be reactionary. I don't sit around griping about these things every day either. When you're a woman, you just end up absorbing a lot of negativity, and you have to acknowledge it to disect it and move beyond it.
Post Sat Sep 28, 2002 3:17 am
Ryan

throw something heavy at them.. :wink:
Post Sat Sep 28, 2002 3:53 am
EisiGulp

djdee2005 wrote:
Let me put it in perspective:

If hip hop was racist, would that be ok? Would you tell the black guys to go home if they didn't want to hear whites talkng about lynching?

Using your example:
If someone promoted racism through lyrics, it would be perfectly okay, in fact it is their right to do so. I would tell the black girls and guys to go home and practice their craft if they weren't already able to lyrically rip the white rapper a new asshole..."if they didn't want to hear whites talking about lynching." Are you picking up what I'm throwing down?

I believe in protecting the freedom of speech, even if it means having to listen to someone advocate at the top of their lungs that which I devote my every breath opposing. If you think somebody is being ignorant in their beliefs, and the person needs to be schooled, state your stance on the issue more eloquently than them. In the words of Ani Difranco,"I sing sometimes for the war that I fight, because every tool is a weapon if you hold it right."

On a side note, I don't know if you meant for your statement on racism was meant to come off the way I recieved it, but it seems as though you make the assumption that racism is a white-vs-black issue. It isn't. People of every race are capable of racism.
Post Sat Sep 28, 2002 4:01 am
EisiGulp

I think the best way for a woman to get respect (in the hip hop game, culture, industry...whatever you want to call it) is to just be real. Not all women want respect, not all women deserve respect, same as men. If I were to spend all my time paying attention to the fact that I am a minority, my energy would be lost on that thought and my tallents wouldn't progress. Being a minority in my chosen field, I don't have time for stagnation. When I'm in a room full of men I ignore the fact that I'm physically different than the majority and focus on the fact that I am mentally different...mentally superior...that is how I earn my respect.
Post Sat Sep 28, 2002 4:18 am
Cire

.  Reply with quote  

I'm a senior in high school. I get to see the real actions of sexism at it's greatest. When guys go up and randomly touch a girl's ass i dont think it is even out of "attraction". i personally think it's out of insecurity. I know this conversation is about blowjobs.. but it seems like that's all people talk about these days. Blowjobs are the talk in school. The weirdest thing to me is how girls accept the "image". i guess i dont understand exactly.

-eric
Post Sat Sep 28, 2002 7:41 am
Dee

EisiGulp wrote:
djdee2005 wrote:

If hip hop was racist, would that be ok? Would you tell the black guys to go home if they didn't want to hear whites talkng about lynching?

Using your example:
If someone promoted racism through lyrics, it would be perfectly okay, in fact it is their right to do so. I would tell the black girls and guys to go home and practice their craft if they weren't already able to lyrically rip the white rapper a new asshole..."if they didn't want to hear whites talking about lynching." Are you picking up what I'm throwing down?

I believe in protecting the freedom of speech, even if it means having to listen to someone advocate at the top of their lungs that which I devote my every breath opposing. If you think somebody is being ignorant in their beliefs, and the person needs to be schooled, state your stance on the issue more eloquently than them. In the words of Ani Difranco,"I sing sometimes for the war that I fight, because every tool is a weapon if you hold it right."

On a side note, I don't know if you meant for your statement on racism was meant to come off the way I recieved it, but it seems as though you make the assumption that racism is a white-vs-black issue. It isn't. People of every race are capable of racism.

I'M NOT FAVORING CENSORSHIP.
I never said I was.
I asked if YOU would if it was a black-white thing rather than a man-woman thing, because there is a double standard.
And of course people of every race are capable of racism...old news. Historically in this country, it has been white on black. So shut up.
Post Sat Sep 28, 2002 12:13 pm
Pele

re: misogony is tired  Reply with quote  

Netsmad,

Beautifully put...
Post Sat Sep 28, 2002 12:41 pm
EisiGulp

[quote="djdee2005"][quote="EisiGulp"]
djdee2005 wrote:

I'M NOT FAVORING CENSORSHIP.
I never said I was.
I asked if YOU would if it was a black-white thing rather than a man-woman thing, because there is a double standard.
And of course people of every race are capable of racism...old news. Historically in this country, it has been white on black. So shut up.

I wasn't trying to say that YOU were favoring censorship. But by telling me to shut up, you ARE trying to censor me. How is there a double standard? Generally speaking, white rappers DON'T talk about lynching black people(at least not that I am aware of), but male rappers DO objectify women.

To clarify my stance, I believe that racism and sexism are equally detrimental to the progression of humanity. When somebody feels that they are being opressed in any way because of what they are, it is their duty to defend themselves effectively. Whether that means stepping up at the moment offense is taken, or getting their shit together and comming back better equiped for battle is up to the offended.
Post Sat Sep 28, 2002 4:26 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6