Search
Register
interview with some Autralian paper. 9/24/02
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Press/Interviews/reviews

Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

interview with some Autralian paper. 9/24/02  Reply with quote  

o How did you end up being an MC? What brought you to it?

"I had a passion for rap music ever since I first heard it. I am the type of person who likes to get involved. I involved myself right away."

o Often people see MCs on stage and seem to think that itıs something that
just comes naturally. Is MCing something that has come naturally to you or
has it bee a lot more practice than people think?

"I have seen it come naturally to some people. But to be great at it, it takes a lot of practice. There are a lot of things to consider, including what has been done before you and where you fit. When people begin to realize all the things entailed in becoming great at ANYTHING they are usually turned off. And they go back to watching tv."

o What frustrates you most when battling other MCs?

"People who state the obvious in an unoriginal way...and how they get upset when they lose. Wait...no...that's what I love MOST about battling."

o Whatıs the worst line you remember using in a battle?

"Sheeeeiiiit. Ummm...I'm sure it has something to do with calling the other rapper gay. That's a major pet peeve of mine...and I am positive that I have violated that rule of mine at one time or another. I really don't have any infamous horrible lines from battles though...not that I can remember."

o Apart from the obvious, what differences do you find between freestyling
and writing? eg do you find you will focus more on different things when
doing one or the other?

"For me, writing is well-crafted thought. Freestyling is free flowing thought...that may or may not go through one of my many filters. I focus more on rhyme patterns when I am writing...I focus more on immediate surroundings and breath breaks when freestyling. hah. truth."

o You graduated in journalism; did this have any effect on the way you write
as an MC?

"I think it has had some bearing on my subject matter and how I present it, yes. It made me more aware of my resonsibility as a journalist, and that is what I consider myself to be."

o Has it affected the way you approach interviews?

"Well when I have a real-time interview I do my best to make the reporter break rules and fail at his job without ruining the interview."

o What question do you hate most from journalists

"I hate the first question you asked. I understand that some people are curious about certain things, but I have answered it so many times and it just seems so obvious to me. Why else would people do what they do?"

o While at the Sound Summit event in Newcastle, youıll be doing an MC
workshop for women only. What are your thoughts on this? Is this something
youıve ever done before?

"I could talk about this from many angles, but I will take a serious one. Missionary. Ummm...No. I have not EVER done a workshop for ANY group or people. And that's because things like that don't really happen where I'm from...definitely not in the realm of hiphop. I don't things like MCing should be "taught" per se. However, I have to acknowledge that I am in no position to decide something like...especially for women in Australia. To be completely honest, if it helps at all, there should be MC workshops for women all over the USA. Something needs to be done about the horrible wave of new female rappers that don't NEARLY compare to the queens of yesteryear."

o As the title suggests, 'Personal Journalsı contains some quite personal
reflections, do you find it difficult to put some of the lyrics out in the
public domain?

"No, I don't. And I am a private person. So you'd better believe I encoded enough of it."

o The same could be said for the thank youıs in the liner notes, they read
more like things you wish you'd said to people but never have the chance.
How do people you know react to the things you say?

"That's exactly what they are. I don't usually say much because I usually can't deal well with what results. I am working on it."

o Given the time, it's probably appropriate to ask how your opinion of the
September 11 terrorist attacks has change since making "Makeshift Patriot?"

"My opinion hasn't changed a single bit, although it's been interesting to watch how predictably the popular culture 'came around.'"

Last edited by Sage Francis on Tue Sep 24, 2002 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Tue Sep 24, 2002 12:11 am
maxamillion

what kind of education do these interviewers have, damn, talking about bad questions, this guy was one of the worst!
Post Tue Sep 24, 2002 4:39 am
Jocker

damn european prison camps
exported to the magizine articles newsroom
Post Thu Sep 26, 2002 1:01 pm
Moolah

Some Australian......  Reply with quote  

Just in case anyone wants to know this interview was in D-World. It had just one pic and then this interview.
Post Wed Oct 09, 2002 7:52 pm
Dyce Productions

Australia with the worst interview...
Post Thu Oct 17, 2002 7:36 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

Jump to: