Search
Register
Plan Colombia
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

Dan Shay

What I am trying to say is I don't think the US cares who wins.
All they really care about is the resources beneath the fighters feet.

I know it's cynical, but I think the US is propagating a divide and conquor strategy in Colombia.

There are some links between CIA and drug trafficing to support clandestine operations that the US public wouldn't support.
Iran/Contragate for example.

No one ever wins in civil war. And escalation certainly isn't going to solve anything.

I am not advocating FARC.
I am trying to say that FARC doesn't just pop up out of now where, it is created.

And de-escalation wouldn't necesarily hand the country over to the FARC.

They can talk peace. They just can't put down their guns until it is genuine.
Post Thu Apr 15, 2004 5:16 pm
Dan Shay

I just caught something
you said:

Quote:

but I think it's not necessarily accurate to say that the paramilitary groups of Colombia are the ones responsible for the elections. The local drug lords are

Who do you think the paramilitary works for?
Post Thu Apr 15, 2004 5:17 pm
MessiahCarey

Dan Shay wrote:
Massiah, you have a good point there. Wouldn't it be interesting if, say China, invaded here and started spraying our tobacco crops with RoundUp Ultra concentrate, like they do in Colombia, in the name of drug war that kills their populace.

I said that same thing to a neo-con (REAL conservatives don't want to restrict drugs) here at work and he thought me insane for even suggesting it. Didn't see the parrallel. Go figure.
Post Fri Apr 16, 2004 7:10 am
still illiterate

Dan Shay wrote:
I just caught something
you said:

Quote:

but I think it's not necessarily accurate to say that the paramilitary groups of Colombia are the ones responsible for the elections. The local drug lords are

Who do you think the paramilitary works for?

both the paramilitary and guerrilla are funed partly by the local drug lords, but that doesn't mean that the paramilitary groups call the shots. Like you said earlier money talks, para doesn't have the ecomic clout to buy the country. They have the ability to disrupt society through violence, and thats what they do.

And you cant really believe that a civil war is never necessary. It sucks but, there are times when peace talks just don't work. FARC has been around for decades, they're not going to be content until they run the country, I think that anything that can be done to stop them, should be done.
Post Fri Apr 16, 2004 12:35 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2