Search
Register
Randi Rhodes vs Ralph Nader on Air America
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

The Dude Abides

Randi Rhodes vs Ralph Nader on Air America  Reply with quote  

Audio Clip
President Carter: [speaking to an audience]: I have a friend named Ralph Nader. He was trusted enough by my family to have been permitted in Plains, Georgia to umpire a softball game where I pitched on one side and my brother pitched on the other side. That's a lot of confidence. When I was president he gave me a lot of advice. And tonight I want to return the favor by giving him some advice.

[Audience applauds]

President Carter: Ralph, go back to umpiring softball games or examining the rear end of automobiles, and don't risk costing the Democrats the White House this year as you did four years ago.

[Audience applauds louder]

Randi: Okay, that's a heavy-duty statement Ralph Nader, and that came from the former President of the United States Jimmy Carter who relied on you for advice. So what do you make of that?

Nader: Well, I'd just respond with his motto from 1976 when he ran for president. His motto throughout the country and the title of his book was, `Why Not the Best?' Why not the best policies...

Randi: ah ha ha, oh we like ourselves, do we?

Diaries :: ckerr's diary ::

Nader: ... why not the best policies?
Randi: Listen.

Nader: Why not the best way to involve the American people? Why not give more voices and choices in our presidential elections instead of having it locked up by the two parties who increasingly are dialing for the same corporate dollars.

Randi: But we had the Green party and your candidacy and now they don't want you, so you're an independent. And they don't think you're the best.

Nader: No, the Green party just hasn't made the decision until June as to whether they want a candidate and under what conditions and that's too late for the ballot access deadlines.

Randi: and..

Nader: One out of every three Americans call themselves independent and they've never really had an independent candidate for a long time.

Randi: And you know what? Another day, another time, I'm, you know, fine. good. Let's do it. Let's put the best ideas on the table whether they be Green, Reform, Independent, I don't -- this time, we can't afford it and you know it. So I'm thinking -- now, just hear me out -- as a very open-minded liberal, I'm thinking -- maybe, Ralph does have this huge ego and he lives in Connecticut and lives small and he's really not into the y'know, whole thing except the power part of life -- or -- maybe Ralph wants to be a kingmaker. Do you know what I mean? Maybe you're gonna make a deal with the Democrats and turn over any voters that you might have out there to the Democrats in exchange for, I don't know, trade commissioner, something that you're interested in.

Nader: You should know me better than that. There's no deals. When you run for president you run in all fifty states, you...

Randi: But you said yesterday on Crossfire that you were going to talk to
Kerry.

Nader: Of course talk to him about how to defeat George W. Bush! Do you really think the Democrats know how to defeat the Republicans? They've been losing for ten years to the worst part of the Republican party. Losing the House, the Senate...

Randi: .. We won for two elections, and then we lost the last one because the fix was in. I mean, it was a dirty election. I know; I was in Florida.

Nader: You're right, there. The Democrats won the election in 2000 but ...

Randi: -- so what do you mean ten years?

Nader: .. but, but they weren't -- they blundered, they didn't even know how to keep what they'd won. No, the Democrats are very similar on military policy, foreign policy, federal reserve policy, food and drug policy, [unintelligible] policy ...

Randi: No, they're not!

Nader: ... sure! Of course!

Randi: You know the Democrat's policy, you know when the Republicans talk about regime change was the Clinton administration's policy, but it was regime change from within. It was never military action on our part on Iraq. That was not the policy. The policy was to get these people to forgive us for slaughtering them when the Republican president Bush the First told them ``rise up, and we'll get your back'', and they saw
American helicopters that we sold to Saddam come and slaughter them. Those are the people in the mass graves and everybody knows it -- or they need to know it -- but, but we can't afford you this year Ralph!

Nader: You're quite right on what Bush One did in terms of urging the Shiites and the Kurds to rise up against Saddam and then ...

Randi: Slaughtered 'em.

Nader: ... Saddam slaughtered them. But remember that the Democrats had a very aggressive foreign military policy when they were in power, a huge military budget. You know, Clinton was a draft-dodger so he wasn't willing to take on the pentagon. And he wasn't willing to take on the Congress on many huge military expenditures and that starved many of the necessities back home among the American people --

Randi: Did it starve --

Nader: -- which were ignored on both parties.

Randi: -- did it starve police officers? 'Cause we put 100,000 cops, or close to it, on the street before Bush came in.

Nader: [unimpressed] Yeah.

Randi: Yeah. It didn't --

Nader: -- don't, don't worry. Childhood poverty is increasing, regardless of the two parties. Affordable housing problems are becoming more serious --

Randi: Now they are --

Nader: [talking louder to speak over Randi] consumers are going into more --

Randi: Now they are because you know why, the states are starving, that this -- we have a president that literally stole the treasury. And that's why we can't afford you. I wish we could, Ralph Nader! I wish we could.

Nader: Wait, wait. Why -- why don't the Democrats stop the things they don't like from the Republicans like the tax cut for the wealthy --

Randi: [exasperated] They're in the minority! They're in the minority in the Cong -- oh, Ralph, come on, you like to spew this stuff, but you're smarter than that --

Nader: -- wait, wait -- the war resolution, the patriot act --

Randi: Ralph, Ralph, how many, how many --

Nader: -- do you have listeners now? Do you have listeners? --

Randi: -- Ralph. how -- I've --

Nader: -- votenader.org is the web site for people who want a more deliberate and detailed --

Randi: Ralph, let me tell you something. I have probably, you know, millions and millions of listeners. I've been on for years and years and years. Which you may not know because you didn't do your homework. But the truth of the matter is, they don't want you to run either! Even your, your Green party supporters, they can't afford you! That's why the Green party is not endorsing your candidacy and you've become an independent! We can't afford you Ralph! Now, if you want to do a little horse trading, that would be smart politics. And if you wanted to be a kingmaker, meaning, you ran for a while and then you turned over your voters and you endorsed Kerry, and said to Kerry, ``you know you need a guy like me. You neeed a guy like me on [name your policy that you're most passionate about]'', and go fix it, and then, four years from now, you'll find out what the Democrats have know for -- for ten years, and that is: they're in the minority in Congress, and they can't vote out appropriations bills because they don't have line-item veto outta a Democratic president's hand. They can't vote out these pork projects; they can't vote out the stealing of the treasury, the underfunding of education, the underfunding of medicare. C'mon, you know this!

Nader: Welll, since you're filibustering, you should've mentioned that the Senate and the Democrats could've filibustered a lot of these things and blocked them. Filibustering is a tool that the Republicans know how to use better than the Democrats. They --

Randi: They filibustered a couple of judges and looked what happened.

Nader: yes. and by the way you're ---

Randi: Look what happened! During the recess they put 'em in --

Nader: -- are you interviewing? are you a show host? are you interviewing? or are you filibustering? Do you want to give me a chance to --

Randi: -- no, I'm angry at you! --

Nader: -- wait wait! Is this the way --

Randi: -- I'm angry at you! I'm a genuine person who's really mad at your candidacy!

Nader: Well, why are you denying millions of people the opportunity to vote for my candidacy --

Randi: Because. We. Can't. Afford. It.

Nader: -- how arrogant, how arrogant can you be? --

Randi: I'm not arrogant, I'm a patriot! I -- we can't afford you, and real patriots have to stand up and question your candidacy!

Nader: Wait a minute! wait a minute. Why are you denying millions of Americans an opportunity to have more choice --

Randi: Because.... how many ways to Sunday do I have to tell you. We can't afford you.

Nader: I'm sorry, Can you afford freedom? Can you afford choice? Can you afford civil liberties? --

Randi: Gimmie a Democrat President!

Nader: -- can you -- is this the way you want to start Air America? You want it to be Hot Air America?

Randi: Oh, no, you see --

Nader: -- Log on to the web site votenader.org --

Randi: -- Ralph, let me tell you something. If you did get to be president, tell me who you would caucus with. Tell me who you could get to vote for your ... views and visions, and your, your bills! Who is an independent other than Bernie Sanders and Jim Jeffords? Who are you gonna count on? You -- let's say you win. Okay?

Nader: You can't win without a huge mobilization of voters --

Randi: -- let's say ya do --

Nader: -- that would replace many members of Congress.

Randi: -- let's say it's seventy years old, from your house in Connecticut, your little house --

Nader: -- now waitaminute. now wait wait wait. you're --

Randi: -- you are, you are ready to do this.

Nader: -- listen, listen. now you're getting nasty.

Randi: I'm not!

Nader: You are ruining the first day --

Randi: I'm not ruining anything.

Nader: -- the first day of Air America.

Randi: This is Air America.

Nader: -- you're not letting your, you're not letting your guest be, have a chance to speak. You're --

Randi: I asked you a question. --

Nader: -- you're not letting your guest have a chance to speak.

Randi: -- So you get there, ya make president, right? Ya make president. Who are you caucusing with? --

Nader: How about Ed Markie? --

Randi: -- Democrats or Republicans? --

Nader: -- how bout Ed Markie? How about, eyuh, Waxman --

Randi: -- Democrats or Republicans? That's your choice! Your choice is Democrats or Republicans --

Nader: -- how about Pelosi?

Randi: Pelosi is a Dem-o-crat. --

Nader: -- what are you talking about? that would be the Democrat --

Randi: Pelosi is the Democrat minority leader.

Nader: -- listen, listen. If I win the presidency, that means the Democrats would win the Congress --

Randi: [flabbergasted] What?

Nader: -- And a lot of my friends are in the Congress. And by the way. --

Randi: [mind blown] Wow...

Nader: -- you've got a very bad interviewing technique --

Randi: -- uh uh uh. I am not --

Nader: -- and you're not going to get an audience by overtalking --

Randi: -- interviewing you --

Nader: Do not overtalk!

Randi: I am not ... interviewing you!

Nader: Do not overtalk!

Randi: I mad at you! Don't you understand the difference?

Nader: Fine, just close up and start screaming to your audience.

Randi: [laughs] Look. Don't tell me how to do radio; I've done it for twenty years. You screwed up the last election, and now you want to screw up this one, and I'm pissed!

Nader: (pause; speechless) You know, you ought to be ashamed of yourself because you --

Randi: But I'm not! You know you should --

Nader: -- you agree with me --

Randi: -- be ashamed of yourself! --

Nader: -- you agree with me on so many issues. You really ought to be ashamed of yourself.

Randi: I'm not ashamed of myself. I can't afford you!

Nader: (struggling for words) Nobody stands, nobody for stands, for workers and, and, and the poor people the way I do.

Randi: Ralph, sometimes I look at something, sometimes I look at a really fabulous, fabulous pair of shoes, but I can't afford em. I can't afford you! I'm not saying you're not fabulous. I can't afford you! Why you don't get this I don't know.

Nader: Oh! You can't afford a living wage in this country? Why don't the Democrats ask for a ten dollar living wage?

Randi: What I'm saying is, when you get there, let's say you're president, let's do this.

Nader: Yeah.

Randi: Who are you caucusing with?

Nader: Oh, all kinds of people in Congress, I'm very persuasive!

Randi: Name them! Besides for Ed Markie, Jim Jeffords, and I'll give you, um I --

Nader: Kennedy, Feingold --

Randi: Kennedy?!?

Nader: Kennedy, Feingold, all kinds. Boxer from California, on and on.

Randi: Oh, y'see, then Ralph, you really don't know politics if you think the Democrats are gonna vote with an independent president --

Nader: -- you're not, you're not doing your homework. Listen. Listen --

Randi: -- you're outta your mind. They've got a national party.

Nader: -- you're reducing yourself to (apathis?). I don't deal with someone who doesn't allow me to talk, and if you want your guests to close up on you on the first day of Air America --

Randi: -- you just keep telling me --

Nader: -- because you're overtalking, you're fillibustering, good day! (hangs up)

Randi: They've heard you say that a thousand times but you won't answer the question. Say he does, see, this is the problem, and I am pissed, and I don't, y'know, I'm not interviewing Ralph Nader. I'm mad at Ralph Nader. I've been mad at Ralph Nader since 2000, and I've got news for you: If Ralph Nader became the President of the United States, where does he go to get his bills passed? Does he go to the Republicans? Does he go to the Democrats that he just beat? You know, this is why there's no ... prospects for Ralph, other than what Ralph is really doing. And what Ralph, I think is really doing -- if he's smart enough, and Ralph's pretty smart -- is, he's gonna run, and then he's gonna endorse Kerry and turn over those those voters which might be, what, three million maybe, who could make the difference, in exchange for trade commissioner, EPA, something that he wants to do. But he won't tell you that. 5:33.
Post Mon Apr 05, 2004 5:07 pm
the mean
Certified O.G.

Goddamn. Mr. Rhodes should go back to being dead or playing those sick metal leads for Ozzy and Quiet Riot.

I am sick and fucking tired of the hate that Nader gets. He shouldn't run this election because it takes away votes from the democrats. What about next election? Or the one after? This argument could be used for every election until the end of time. An independant president can't deal with the two major parties in Congress? Fuck, we might as well just outlaw third parties altogether.

That guy (Rhodes) is an ass. I can't wait until his democratic savior rolls into the White House and does next to nothing.

Fuck.
Post Mon Apr 05, 2004 5:21 pm
MessiahCarey

Ha.

There you go. Most Democrats are just like that ignorant "show host" from what I've seen. It seems to be the party M.O. Heh.

Fuck that shit. I'll be voting for Nader. Rhodes can break me off with a rimjob...preferably with jelly...and maybe I'll consider voting Democrat.

Maybe.

- Shane
Post Tue Apr 06, 2004 7:39 am
SneepSnopDotCom
COCKRING WRAITH

Go ahead and vote for Nader you fucking idiots. You are going to kill us all. Nader is a tool of the republicans and I am sick of it. The guy can't win. Ever. He will never fucking win. Say it in your head because it is true. Say this: he might be the best candidate, but he will never ever fucking win. Ever. This whole "we must expand the two-party system" talk is on point for sure.... I am all for this. But the guy to open up the two-party system has to HAVE A CHANCE TO FUCKING WIN. He has no chance. He has a little niche with the hippies and the young idealists, but that's it. Him running is just to make a point... that's it. He is just making a point... he could never win! Make your fucking point next time Nader... this is probably the most important election in recent memory... if we vote Bush back into office it is going to be a message to the terrorists that we want him and support him. Then they wont give a fuck about blowing us up. Maybe if we vite him out and go "nah, fuck that guy" maybe we can make things better again. Nader is fucking the democrats in the ass with his arrogant, martyr bullshit. Fuck Nader.
Post Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:57 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
MessiahCarey

SneebDotCom wrote:
Go ahead and vote for Nader you fucking idiots. You are going to kill us all. Nader is a tool of the republicans and I am sick of it. The guy can't win. Ever. He will never fucking win. Say it in your head because it is true. Say this: he might be the best candidate, but he will never ever fucking win. Ever. This whole "we must expand the two-party system" talk is on point for sure.... I am all for this. But the guy to open up the two-party system has to HAVE A CHANCE TO FUCKING WIN. He has no chance. He has a little niche with the hippies and the young idealists, but that's it. Him running is just to make a point... that's it. He is just making a point... he could never win! Make your fucking point next time Nader... this is probably the most important election in recent memory... if we vote Bush back into office it is going to be a message to the terrorists that we want him and support him. Then they wont give a fuck about blowing us up. Maybe if we vite him out and go "nah, fuck that guy" maybe we can make things better again. Nader is fucking the democrats in the ass with his arrogant, martyr bullshit. Fuck Nader.

No, tell us how you really feel.

Heh.

Seriously, though. It's time. I'm tired of waiting. I have the exact opposite opinion....if someone wants to just keep buying into and feeding the two-party system...well....they can let this corporate culture widen their poopcutters a little bit if they like. Me, I'm going to try and do something about it.

I suggest others do the same, but I doubt it when you've got people that are this convinced that Democrats aren't contributing to the corporate grip on this country just like Republicans are.

Foreign policy is largely irrelevant and controlled, in no small part, by which companies a candidate aligns themselves with. I'm not going to vote for that, I'm sorry.

- Shane
Post Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:18 am
2b
SHAKESPERIAN ACTOR

I second that. Ufck a Demopublican.
Post Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:24 am
squirtisblow

but think of the shifts that the country could make with nader. i still find it admirable, and everyone demo or rep will be kciking themselves in the ass in 10 years cuz they didnt change when they had the chance. i dunno perhaps there will be more time for change. is getting there tho.
Post Tue Apr 06, 2004 1:32 pm
SneepSnopDotCom
COCKRING WRAITH

Let's be realists here gents. The only real way to expand the two-party system is to have a concentrated effort to do so on both sides. All Nader is really doing is expanding the system to a 3-party system where one party gets completely screwed. If he is so gung ho about expanding the system then why doesnt he call up bubchanan and some other right wingers to do it at the same time so it's a bit more even? I hate the three party system more than the two party system!!!!!!!! It should either be blown wide open or not fucked with until a time when we can afford to fuck with the electoral process... I think this is about the worst time to essentially fuck over the democratic nominee ever.

If we really want to do away with the 2 party system we should just start an internet site slash american Idol tv show based on the 500 men wanting to run for president.... after months of live broadcasted debates and talent shows we narrow the 500 men down to the top ten and then america votes. This 3 party bullshit is a ruse.
Post Tue Apr 06, 2004 3:27 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mojo the helper monkey

Fuck a two-party system. Fuck a political system based on candidates over parties. The democrats are weak in their ideals, and their constant pushing to be more moderate is pussy.

That being said, there's no way I'm voting for anyone but Kerry this Fall.
Post Tue Apr 06, 2004 6:53 pm

Jump to: