Search
Register
interview Sept 16, 2002. I forgot who it's for.
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Press/Interviews/reviews

Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

interview Sept 16, 2002. I forgot who it's for.  Reply with quote  

Ok, questions:

- How do you feel about the press and/or general reactions that Personal Journals got? I know that there seemed to be a generally positive response, but did you feel like the album succeeded, in terms of whatever goals you had for it, or any messages you were hoping to convey?

"I definitely accomplished what I needed to with Personal Journals. I do expect it to be popular for many years to come, but so far expectations have been exceeded. One thing I didn't like his how many critics insinuated that I was a spoken word artist doing a hiphop album. I figured they would get the hint that I am first and foremost a rapper by sprinking L'il Sage throughout Personal Journals. Plain and simple, I am a rapper...and that's not anything I'm bragging about. It's just the truth. I've been doing it since I was a little kid. Since then I've branched off into other artforms and tried my hand at them."

- What worked best about that album? What were you happiest with? Least happy with?

"All the content that needed to be inside it was there. The people reacted to it as expected. I included everyone on it who needed to be there. All the secret passageways and trap doors are placed in the proper places. The production was exactly what I wanted. I am very happy with the cover art and the fact that anticon let me do a booklet to accompany the cd. The distribution was on point. The songs could have been recorded and mixed a lot better, because I did most of it on equipment I am not familliar with. But fuck it. That's my personal touch of shittiness."

- In 15 words or less, everything about the upcoming non-prophets album.

"It's bi-polar. Hilarious and poignant material. VERY rappy...rhythmic ignorance mixed with poetic moments. BLAAAaaaaooOOOOWWW!"

Analogies:
- Sixtoo is to Joey Beats as _____ is to _______.

"Seka is to Asia Carera."

- Poetry-slam is to hip hop as _____ is to _______.

"bike is to a car"

- Live show is to recorded material as _______ is to ________.

"Sex is to masturbation"

- the Sick of Waiting series is to Personal Journals as _______ is to ________.

"highschool girlfriends are to Natalie Portman"

Ok...

"fuck...you made me rack my brain with those analogies. That shit was not easy."

- Xaul Xan-- Slim Shady-esque alter-ego (I apologize for the comparison), steam-release valve, self-medication through exhibitionism, an ironic return to origins, what? And, will we see a complete project in that guise?

"I'm not really sure what the similarities are between Xaul Zan and Slim Shady. I do know that Xaul Zan would punch him dead in his melon and then take Haley out for a bite to eat. He has no tact. He is a vent of many sorts. If he EVER releases an album, which may very well happen, the reaction of people will cover extreme ends of the emotional spectrum. I'm not sure how ready I am to be responsible for the things he would bring to an entire project."

- What do you hope to accomplish as a musician/writer/artist? Do you have specific goals, other than to get to a place where your music can support you? (I believe that's what you expressed to me at Scribble a few years back when we spoke.)

"I've already accomplished what I wanted to for the most part. I have a listening audience, a core fanbase who continues to support, a great network of people I work with, a credible voice, and I make enough money to live well...for now. I foresee things getting bigger, but my actual goal is just to stick to my guns as an artist and make everything work the way I like it. Damn. My goal is to be able to operate as effectively as possible without going insane or running myself into the ground."

- Do you write to a beat, or choose a beat to fit what's written?

"Sometimes I write to a beat. Sometimes I write to silence and wait for a beat to come around that fits the mood I had in mind. Sometimes I write to a different beat than the lyrics are going to be on. Sometimes I write to a song that already has lyrics on it. You get the point. I write whenever. The actual words and the ideas are what usually motivate me."

- Top five artists you'd like to work with in the near future?

"Bob Dylan, Public Enemy (with Bomb Squad), KRS (with Premier), Beastie Boys (with Rick Rubin), De La Soul (with Prince Paul)"

- You're President of the newly created Republic of Underground Hip Hop. What would you say in your first state of the union address?

"Hey everyone...hi....umm...wussup MOM!!! So uh, check it...I don't want to be an evil dictator or anything. Just do whatever you want. I have a lot to say to you but you need to figure shit out on your own. That's the only way it'll stick. Until then, do your best to be tolerant of people with different lifestyles and ideologies. Oh...and stop having sex. This instant. Also, stop being so fucking wack. And no TV! NO NO NO....you may not act like you know more than me. You suck so much. Work for me. Always. Let's get started."

- How would the first two sentences of your autobiography read?

"My mom was a bartender and my dad was a locksmith. How fucking poetic is that?"

- Why "not experimental"?

"because that term has been used for people who don't know what the hell they're doing but they want to try something 'different.' The term 'experimental' is almost a disclaimer that says: 'WARNING...I have not mastered my craft so I am going to break rules without knowing them first. Here's the shitty result!' That's not me. I know what the fuck I'm doing.

- It's Saturday afternoon, you aren't writing, you aren't touring, you aren't recording, just kicking back (imagine that!). What three albums are likely to be in the stereo?

"This Saturday it was Weezer, Neil Young and John Lennon. I have been buying music from all different genres and listening to new stuff. But I'm not ready to shout them out yet."

- Why do you play with your own (re)presentation so much? From tshirts advertising your own death to innumerable differing reports of your age, not to mention your various alter-egos, you seem unwilling to present a singular biography for people to latch on to. Why is that? What is the expected result, or is there one?

"Because I don't really care to be profiled. There's not a single category that would be fair to my past, present or future. It's import to let people think they have me figured out and then discover on their own that they don't. No matter what a person says about themselves, there are activities and comments that will contradict that image. Then people feel disappointed by it because they're not secure enough with themselves or who they are. I don't care to feed into that at all. I'd prefer to be an ever-changing entity. Big, giant, round heads don't fit well into small boxes."

- Emo-rap, indie-hop, avant-garde (you've already answered that one), what is it? Something new, or just a new expression of the same thing? If hip hop in 2002, with its Scribble Jams and hiphopinfinities, is a logical progression from Melle Mel and BeatStreet, what is the tie that binds? How does your own work, or the work of other genre-bending and envelope-pushing artists, fit in?

"It's nothing new. People keep trying to think of new names for the same old shit. Scribble Jam and hiphopinfinity are not the logical progression of Melle Mel and BeatStreet. Some might even say they are deviations. But the things that ties all of it together is that people are still working together and expressing themselves on some type of format we like to call hiphop. How do I fit in? I am making contributions and inspiring, while getting love and inspiration in return."

- How do feel about where you are now? Are you where you'd like to be, or where you had imagined you'd be?

"I am astounded that things have worked almost exactly to how I had planned. I am currenly beyond where I thought I would be without the support of a major label."

-Now that we've covered a novel's worth, is there anything else you'd like to add?

"This interview made me think. Thanks for challenging me. But ease off selecta."

Ok, that'll do for now. I might send more questions along. Thanks so much for doing this. I'll talk to you soon.
Dan

Last edited by Sage Francis on Wed Sep 18, 2002 11:58 am; edited 3 times in total
Post Tue Sep 17, 2002 9:01 pm
Gee-Q

DOPE interview Frank

Finally someone with prepared questions

ahah

peace
gee-Q
Post Tue Sep 17, 2002 9:39 pm
amano

that really was an ill interview. I hope you get more cats with questions as good, if not, better questions when they wanna interview you or any other dope artist out there for that matter.

pease.
Post Tue Sep 17, 2002 11:33 pm
maxamillion

Do you post every interview or just the ones that you find good enough???
Post Wed Sep 18, 2002 5:29 am
Reggie

I thought Sage's answers exceeded the questions a lot. Basically dood asked the same four things two times.
Post Wed Sep 18, 2002 6:42 am
JOEYBEATS

Ok....  Reply with quote  

Despite the fact I definitely got some burn in this joint and I know I should keep my opinions to myself...that was one of the best interviews I've read in a while with Sage. Good job to whomever that was.

Joe.
Post Wed Sep 18, 2002 7:59 am

ctrlfreak

WORD!!! Great interview. Those analogies were on point.

Dont worry Joe. Soon you'll be as experienced as Seka. You're definitely just as talented ;)
Post Wed Sep 18, 2002 10:56 am
Aroen

I liked the seka/asia carerra answer.
Post Wed Sep 18, 2002 12:23 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

that wasn't "burn" brotha. heh.

Sixtoo's Graf name is Seka.
and you're into the Asian joints.

he's old. you're young.

and I'd fuck either of ya in a heart beat
Post Wed Sep 18, 2002 12:41 pm
Path

i was far more entertained reading this interview than the previous 900.

thanks for posting it. haha
Post Wed Sep 18, 2002 12:41 pm
JOEYBEATS

HAHAHAHA NO NO  Reply with quote  

Burn is definitely a good thing...

Burn is a term that means "playing time" in sports; like Sage got mad burn in high school football.

Patrick Ewing got no burn in Orlando.

Burn is good, burn is ALWAYS good.

Joe.
Post Wed Sep 18, 2002 1:14 pm

mr self distrukt

i give ladies rug burn.
Post Wed Sep 18, 2002 1:20 pm
tie-my-shoe

this scorching case of herpes makes it burn when i pee.
Post Wed Sep 18, 2002 1:47 pm
illusion

snowboarding without goggles burns my eyes
Post Wed Sep 18, 2002 2:00 pm
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

- Live show is to recorded material as _______ is to ________.

"Sex is to masturbation"

I wish I could make good music so I could experience that feeling..

And the priest who plays the organ at church wants the opposite..

What a paradox..

What, in music, would be the equal to a hummer?..

Good interview...
Post Thu Sep 19, 2002 12:53 am

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next