Search
Register
Chuck D's letter about MTVs choice to not play PE's new...
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

td3

Chuck D's letter about MTVs choice to not play PE's new...  Reply with quote  

video

he's right though...

In an editorial featured in DaveyD.Com's FNV news letter, Chuck D had this to say :

This is serious. In a climate where they're playing the hell out of Nelly and Khia dumbing American kids (17 and under... like who else is gonna be fanatical about adult life requesting videos?) down to 'its so hot imma take my clothes off' down from 'my neck to the crack of my ass' with a 'shot of courvosier' .No offense to the prior two artists, because I really don't think they know any better. I'm pulling the race card here because MTV has admittingly reduced black faces to blackface... Quantity is the measurement needed for the almighty bottom line ala the corporate dollar. Blackface at its dumbest makes a lotta money for VIACOM. On also owned BET peeps know BRUCE BRUCE more than newsman ED GORDON, reducing us as black folk to comedy where we think Americas laughing along with us in reality they're laughing at us. It's the same reason I left Def Jam...we start off rebelling against the one sided control ways of the establishment, only to find that it eventually becomes a worse establishment itself. A joke in the shadows of making money 'holla!

Really it ain't about playing the Public Enemy video. So be it. I do art and songs to provoke and not be a joke. It would've been simple as hell for them to rather say they didn't like the video. But as a black M-A-N it's the NERVE of them judging what's acceptable coming out of a blackface. If they think having a political viewpoint in music is irrelevant, it's because they've taken the nazi approach in censoring it themselves. Deep down... rap to these standard people is disposable romper room sh*t that will never resonate to the LED ZEPs, BEATLES, NIRVANAS, AEROSMITHs, FLEETWOOD MACS,BON JOVI status they still uphold in their hearts and minds. But based on the ridiculous yet influential decisions they make while in bed with their big business partners (major labels) is unacceptable as far as my community is concerned. Judging that anonymous circle of people in the standard department I feel, think and ultimately know they would rather reduce us into a screen of swinging monkeys, and retreat to their tri-state bridge and tunnel confines.

Thus it always seems I exist in a twist of paradox. I refuse to edit out the MUMIA audio AND visual, that's crazy and they must be out of their f*cking mind!

You can read the entire editorial at www.daveyd.com.
Post Wed Sep 18, 2002 7:52 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
argot

woooooooooo  Reply with quote  

Good refresher
Post Wed Sep 18, 2002 8:22 am
Dee

Chuck D is quite possibly the coolest rapper ever....
Post Wed Sep 18, 2002 8:23 am
td3

this is true:  Reply with quote  

" I'm pulling the race card here because MTV has admittingly reduced black faces to blackface... Quantity is the measurement needed for the almighty bottom line ala the corporate dollar. Blackface at its dumbest makes a lotta money for VIACOM."

td3
Post Wed Sep 18, 2002 12:39 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TheDude

Even though I havn't really checked out any of the new PE albums since the Apacalypse album, I gotta give it up to Chuck D for standing his ground. PE is the only group I can think of who has always done music their way consistantly. They haven't tried to change up their style to get radio play or become more appealing to the main stream or record labels. They do what they do without the use of gimecks. I can truely say without a doubt that PE will never sell out (and that's a bold statement)
Though I may not really feel their new shit (or maybe I just haven't really heard any new shit), I used to love the shit out of them back in the day, and they will always have my respect. I think some of these old timers trying to make a come back like Slick Rick, Kool G Rap and even Rakim need to take a lesson from PE.

ps FUCK MTV
Post Wed Sep 18, 2002 6:01 pm
ctrlfreak

http://www.petitiononline.com/No2MTV/petition-sign.html?

its worth a shot...
Post Wed Sep 18, 2002 6:54 pm
gerhupsom vanbone

Im dumm  Reply with quote  

What does MUMIA meen
Post Wed Sep 18, 2002 7:14 pm
Petrouchka Rasputin

Mumia Abu-Jamal is a black panther currently on death row for the murder of a police officer.
Post Wed Sep 18, 2002 7:18 pm
gerhupsom vanbone

thanks  Reply with quote  

why did she kill him or her?

and why does everyone want to free her?
Post Wed Sep 18, 2002 7:23 pm
August Spies

The claim is he didn't do it and there is a lot of evidence he might not have and at the very least he probably got a rotten trial. Or so the argument goes.
Post Wed Sep 18, 2002 7:36 pm
gerhupsom vanbone

oh  Reply with quote  

hes a he.

mumia sounds to much like mummy ,and thats what i call my mom.minus the my part.

and i didn't know you could be put to death for killin' just one person.
Post Wed Sep 18, 2002 7:51 pm
Petrouchka Rasputin

Yes - you can get the death sentence for murdering one person. Especially if that person is a cop killer and especially if there is a strong case that you did it out of hate.

And it's true that Mumia has always maintained his innocence.

I have a "Free Mumia" button, but it doesn't seem to be working.
Post Wed Sep 18, 2002 8:01 pm
amano

http://www.freemumia.org
Post Wed Sep 18, 2002 8:33 pm
Dee

You can get the death penelty in texas for a drug crime.

The only state.
Post Wed Sep 18, 2002 9:13 pm
ctrlfreak

vanbone, are you english?

And did anyone even look at that petition?
Post Wed Sep 18, 2002 10:31 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next