OKLAHOMA GAZETTE EMAIL INTERVIEW 4/5/04
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Press/Interviews/reviews

Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

OKLAHOMA GAZETTE EMAIL INTERVIEW 4/5/04  Reply with quote  

1. What statement do you hope to make by embarking on the "Fuck Clear
Channel" Tour?

"It is time to reject fast food culture. Fast food music. Fast food marketing. Fast food artists. Quality and integrity has been phased out of art in the interest of giant companies. I am here to raise awareness about that. Most people don't realize how any of this works and this tour has sparked a good discussion about it. Artists in my position should be doing things to improve conditions of the music industry, but most just see dollar signs. It'll be their end. I can continue playing independent shows for the rest of my life and live VERY well off of it...as long as I spread the word."

2. What has the response been so far? Have you met with
any resistance and/or static from Clear Channel?

"When a crowd pais money to see an artist they respect, they are APT to agree with whatever is being said on stage. That's just the way it goes. It is my job to challenge many things at once. I am not here to speak in bumper stickers about George Bush, the war, FCC or the Clear Channel. I don't want yesmen in my crowd so I don't cater to that kind of environment. With all this being said, I don't know what the response has been because I don't ask for one or leave much room for one. Promoters keep confiding in me how much Clear Channel has ruined their local scene though. As far as recieving resistance from Clear Channel, I have existed outside of their grip for my entire career and they will never affect what I do or how I do it."

3. What are some of your influences?

"I grew up on hiphop and all those artists were a main influence of mine. After that, spoken word became a huge influence in my subject matter and approach. Now I mainly listen to Neil Young and Bob Dylan."

4. What fuels your lyrics?

"Thought and emotion. I don't know how else to answer that question. It is very simple. I have something to say and I say it. I feel something and I express it."

5. How do your live shows differ from your albums?

"Well...at a live show I am immediate and accessible. On album you are safe from my spit."

6. What do you think of the current state of hip-hop/rap?

"I think it is spread so thin that i don't really know what to comment on. It has lost the communal aspect it once had."

7. What are your plans beyond the tour?

"I will be writing and recording my solo album for Epitaph Records and then I will tour Europe with my new band, The Gimme Fund."

8. Who would you like to win the presidential election in 2004?

"I am going for Dean, unless he finally folds and succumbs to the pressure of the media. He is not my ideal candidate, but he is the one I have to go with. But when it comes election time I am voting for whatever candidate seems to have the best chance against Bush. As if winning an election determines who the President is."
Post Thu Feb 05, 2004 2:28 pm
Doctrine

That last little line you said was something serious...Thought provoking little nugget...
Post Thu Feb 05, 2004 7:20 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Rhino

Quote:

As far as recieving resistance from Clear Channel, I have existed outside of their grip for my entire career and they will never affect what I do or how I do it."

Will this still hold true when you tour for the album that will be on the Epitaph label?
Post Thu Feb 05, 2004 7:41 pm
Craig a.d.

Wow, an interview from the future?

What kind of space-time shit are you into? Lets roll with this. I can dig it.

What else is on its way from the future? :)
Post Thu Feb 05, 2004 7:52 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

hahahahaa

i got it like that

it's not the first time I fucked up the month.

I didn't learn my 12 months until college.

sad but true
Post Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:15 pm
Aor

Doctrine wrote:
That last little line you said was something serious...Thought provoking little nugget...

i dont know man, it seems like just common knowledge to me.
Post Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:36 pm
lilliputian

at times
i still confuse the naming of
my elbows
and
shoulders
due to being taught opposite naming in my youth
ahhhh
youth
Post Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:03 pm
Doctrine

Aor wrote:
Doctrine wrote:

You are a greater man than I...
Post Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:31 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Aor

Doctrine wrote:
Aor wrote:
Doctrine wrote:

You are a greater man than I...

naw i didnt mean it like that. i meant that its text book knowledge. they teach it in school. votes don't decide the president. congress does.
Post Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:34 pm
Doctrine

I didn't read it like that...I was thinking about it in other terms...That's all...
Post Fri Feb 06, 2004 3:25 am

Jump to: