Search
Register
my day of recording, eating, traveling and perfoming in Mont
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

my day of recording, eating, traveling and perfoming in Mont  Reply with quote  

well. where to start.

Woke up...rolled off of the dog-hairy, hard wood floor than I've been sleeping on...stumbled outside into the greatest weather I can remember experiencing since.........since I was very young but old enough to remember such a thing.

ate and laughed at nothing. spilled stuff. stumbled around.

typed out lyrics to a new song I was desperately trying to finish before Sixtoo returned home from some art gallery he was setting up.

didn't finish.

he got back late.

when I finished I rushed the lyrics onto paper and hopped into the closet where we decided to record. recorded.

gotta go.

thought about what I just recorded and decided I needed to rewrite the last verse. Felt happy about how my voice was sounding.

got picked up by Mitch (Sixtoo's graffiti friend.) The car...not safe, I learned that you don't need to inspect vehicles in Quebec....whoooo.

we go to...uhh...shit. we went somewhere. I don't remember at the moment. BUT...I met one of the members of Godspeed you Black Emperor. She hung out with us for most of the night. I told her about how I opened a lot of my shows with their record. She said "Oh, you're Sage Francis...I've heard a lot about you."
tight. She goes bombing at night with Sixtoo and Mitch....she uses stenciles. So there are these crazy stenciles all over the city with the word "HOPE" and an image of someone throwing a Molotov cocktail. Considering the album I am currently recording is called HOPE, I definitely have taken notice. She also has other stenciles with the HOPE theme. I don't bother to ask her why.

we go to an art gallery...which is actually a skateboard shop. i sit down and zone out. say hi to a few people who recognize me. sell a couple cds in the process.

then we go eat at one of the restaurant/clubs that Godspeed owns...and I ate a veggie pate sandwich. Very good.

Sixtoo tells me that Buck 65 and Grey Matter are at the club next door. Let's go.

The club is bigger than I expected. Fairly large crowd. I am wearing a Xaul Zan army fatigue jacket and a pastel yellow sun hat. People aren't quite sure yet.

"Hey, Rob...can I perform tonight?"
"Yeah, we'll go on after Buck"

tight.

See Buck 65 backstage. and Graham. HI! "hi, lover"
no product??? fuck, man. Luggage got lost. When the hell am I going to get Square. "Oct 1 is the official release date now."

Buck performs for over an hour. The new songs sound very good. I start preparing. I come to the conclusion I am going to put on a long performance...even though I shouldn't...but I should...because there's a lot of people here and they are excited.

Buck introduces special guest. I emerge with transparent tape over my eyes, and banana sticking out of my pant's zipper...and a HUGE knife. Found all of this backstage...got excited.

underbite ben chops at the banana cock in classic "you must pay" fashion.

makeshift patriot. show goes for 40 minutes. people are yelling out words and singing choruses. I feel good. Happy. End the show and people are great. smiling. shaking hands. hugging. dancing. Sixtoo spins hiphop then Dub. Since the performance wasn't planned I did it for free, but the people bought all my product.

The woman from Godspeed meets me backstage and asks me if it's ok to do a stencile of my face. "Hell ya...awesome"

We say our goodbyes to everyone.
We stop at a gas station and I spend a half hour looking at the shitty selection, unable to decide what to buy.

bought shit. never a healthy choice.

"can I use your computer, rob?"
Post Sat Sep 14, 2002 2:39 am
excellrec

hmmm  Reply with quote  

Who's godspeed? I kept thinking "theres no chick in godsmack.........i think, theyre dudes?" who knows. Good form though man, free performances. You like to give it and the product consumers like to consume it. Oh yeah, closet recording? GET WITH THE NOW MAN! ha ha ha
Post Sat Sep 14, 2002 3:07 am
Mr Ass

Sounds pretty sweet

BTW - http://www.brainwashed.com/godspeed/
Very strange.
Post Sat Sep 14, 2002 3:49 am
ricki ringerz

..  Reply with quote  

thanks for sharing..

i must say i'm jealous of your busy schedule..

i'm bored and wanna die right now... just a figure of speech offcourse
Post Sat Sep 14, 2002 6:09 am
amo1ne

AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!! 40 MINUTES YOU FILTHY DECEIVING BASTARD!!!!!!!! SO YOUR TELLING ME THAT I MISSED A SAGE FRANCIS SHOW LAST NIGHT TO WATCH DEUCE BIGALLOW WITH MY GIRLFRIEND AND FALL ASLEEP ON HER COUCH?!!! DAMN YOU SAGE FRANCIS!!!!!!!! :x
Post Sat Sep 14, 2002 8:21 am
amo1ne

Damnit, I really am mad at myself now, I can't believe how stupid I am when I've been telling myself how much I would love to see a Sage Francis show and how it's never gonna happen. Frruck!

PS - What else have you been up to in Montreal lately? What spots have you been checkin, any clubs, restaurants, etc?
Post Sat Sep 14, 2002 8:26 am
icarus502
kung-pwn master

hehe
godsmack
Post Sat Sep 14, 2002 10:44 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

I am in the studio til I leave now. no more fun.

but yes, it was a Sage Francis show. I didn't know it would be until I was there and the situation lent itself to me getting stupid on stage.

Godspeed You Black Emperor consists of a lot of instruments....mood music...I don't know the real term for what they play. I bought a couple of their albums....I love one of them in particular. It has an audio clip of some dude in RI talking about how he sonned a judge over a parking ticket.
Post Sat Sep 14, 2002 10:46 am
excellrec

sweeet,  Reply with quote  

cool stuff man, sounds kinda like what i do, sorta, i would classify as "new age" but then again, isnt new age just a great title for all new music that you cant classify to fall under.
Post Sat Sep 14, 2002 12:11 pm
ekul

.  Reply with quote  

the part where you came out on stage war really funny...i love it when you share with us stuff like that...thanks...luke...ASN1
Post Sat Sep 14, 2002 12:23 pm
Mojo the helper monkey

That was great, very nice to read. If it helps convince you to write things like that more often...I love it. Thank you.
Post Sat Sep 14, 2002 1:38 pm
dense

word... sage's writing is always a dope thing......

and that shit about the godspeed women going out bombing with sixtoo was great...... i love them even more now!......

was the sixtoo art-gallery stuff like the artwork in the booklet to 'duration'?.... i fuckin' love that shit so much..... does anybody know about any websites that feature more of that art?......
Post Sat Sep 14, 2002 1:47 pm
amo1ne

www.bombingscience.com for montreal graff. theres a couple unnamed amo flicks if you look thoroughly. peace.
Post Sat Sep 14, 2002 2:12 pm
futuristxen

I have the "Lift your tiny fists to the sky" or something like that album of Godspeed, it's like 2 cds. that parking ticket thing sounds familiar, so I wonder if thats the album you are talking about liking. either way the whole post is going to make me dig that album out and listen to it again. WHen I first got it I thought it was amazing. I remember dragging my mom in to listen to parts of it and she realy liked it, actually burned her some of the album out for her own personal use.

Nice writeup Sage, sounded like a lot of fun.
Post Sat Sep 14, 2002 2:24 pm
Abinatra

FINALLY
unknowingly, you just answered THE question i've been asking
don't come home w/o a voice or w/ one that sounds hesitant

NON-PROPHETS
Post Sat Sep 14, 2002 2:39 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next