Search
Register
Dean's speech from last night
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

Dee

Carter didn't run on a liberal platform.

By todays standards, perhaps he did.

But at the time, he was running as a moderate.
Post Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:25 am
rlorg

my mistake.

I should not have said Carter did not run as a moderate, because that was incorrect. You're right. He did. He was not a moderate, in my opinion, even by the standards of the the day, but he did run a moderate campaign. My mistake.

But to get back to the original discussion, Dean's as middle of the road as they come!

He's not running a liberal or progessive campaign. He's got that image because of his anti-war stance, but on almost all issues he's center-left and on a few, like gun control, he's center-right. He was my governer. He's no progressive. We have a real progessive party here, that actually wins elections, and Dean was at odds with them for most of his administration here.
Post Thu Jan 22, 2004 5:12 am
shambhala

well now  Reply with quote  

some of you are exposing that you've done little research into your claims

a lot more than just ben stein claimed that speech was dean's undoing....and who the fuck cares anyway, that was my observation.....it doesn't take much to destroy a political candidate, one sound byte and goodbye.....

and clark was fired for taking on the military establishment and challenging them to apply force for purely humanitarian reasons.....the pentagon claimed it could not be done.....and clark and madeline albright probably saved hundreds of thousands of ethnic albanians from being killed.....because he was so successful he lost his job

how's that for tension between the executive and military?
Post Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:23 am
Soul Khansenses

Re: well now  Reply with quote  

shambhala wrote:

a lot more than just ben stein claimed that speech was dean's undoing....and who the fuck cares anyway, that was my observation.....it doesn't take much to destroy a political candidate, one sound byte and goodbye.....

and clark was fired for taking on the military establishment and challenging them to apply force for purely humanitarian reasons.....the pentagon claimed it could not be done.....and clark and madeline albright probably saved hundreds of thousands of ethnic albanians from being killed.....because he was so successful he lost his job

I didn't say that Ben Stein was the only person who called the speech Dean's undoing, but really, looking at the biggest naysayers, you find pretty shoddy company. Dean's single gaffe (though it would be less of a gaffe without the media's exaggeration of it) could ruin him, but considering that it wasn't the sort that showed him as ideologically unsound, incompetent, or ethically decrepit, it's chances of doing so aren't especially high. By no means did it help him. I never said that it did.

I am well aware of Wesley Clark's record, but I would really prefer someone more remote from the military historically than him. Is that unfair to him as a man? Somewhat. However, I'm really cautious about someone immersed in military culture at the real top of the military chain of command. Call it paranoia, but I really fear respectful predispositions and acquiescence in government. Positioning figures of differing civil service backgrounds in the government can help stave off the emergence of these elements.
Post Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:23 am
The Dude Abides

Today on howard stern they played it with the music from the exorcist and it was great.
Post Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:55 am
Soul Khansenses

The Dude Abides wrote:
Today on howard stern they played it with the music from the exorcist and it was great.

If you play it over "Takeover" it's the jam.
Post Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:57 am
Dee

rlorg wrote:
my mistake.

I should not have said Carter did not run as a moderate, because that was incorrect. You're right. He did. He was not a moderate, in my opinion, even by the standards of the the day, but he did run a moderate campaign. My mistake.

But to get back to the original discussion, Dean's as middle of the road as they come!

He's not running a liberal or progessive campaign. He's got that image because of his anti-war stance, but on almost all issues he's center-left and on a few, like gun control, he's center-right. He was my governer. He's no progressive. We have a real progessive party here, that actually wins elections, and Dean was at odds with them for most of his administration here.

I disagree. I think he's running from a very liberal perspective - very anti-war, primarily - and although he is a moderate democrat, he has energized the grassroots/activist support of his party!
Post Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:05 pm
rlorg

He's not anti-war.

He's said so many times that he's against this particular war but he wouldn't have hesitated to use military force in Afganistan, or in Iraq the first time around or in a number of other instances.

All his positions, from health care to AIDS funding to education, are all Clintonesque middle of the road.

Of the viable candidates, the only one with a mildly progessive agenda is Edwards.
Post Sat Jan 24, 2004 12:54 am
rlorg

Re: well now  Reply with quote  

shambhala wrote:

That's the one reason I really really like Clark.
There are some times when we NEED to use our military might, where we can do an incredible amount of good if we do.

Rwanda and the Balkans were two of those times, and in both we failed miserable. We hindered, along with a whole host of European countries, the UN troops in Rwanda to the point where if they had tried to do anything at all they would have been massacred themselves.

And the only good we did in the Balkans came directly from Clark and Albright.
Post Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:13 am
Dee

rlorg wrote:
He's not anti-war.

He's said so many times that he's against this particular war but he wouldn't have hesitated to use military force in Afganistan, or in Iraq the first time around or in a number of other instances.

All his positions, from health care to AIDS funding to education, are all Clintonesque middle of the road.

Of the viable candidates, the only one with a mildly progessive agenda is Edwards.

I'm drunk so this won't be the most effective argument but no, you are wrong.
Edwards is more moderate than most of the candidates.
Dean is anti-IRAQI war which is to what I referred.
booyha.
Post Sat Jan 24, 2004 2:27 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4