Register
an interview with a Nottingham magazine 12/30/03
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Press/Interviews/reviews

Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

an interview with a Nottingham magazine 12/30/03  Reply with quote  

1.Where and how are you?

"I am in Providence, Rhode Island. I am doing very well in life. My night consisted of freestyles about fishing with a stick without a string. 2 hours of rapping about fishing with a stick without a sting. I think I could have spent my time better."

2. How much of your stuff is written down before recording and how much is
freestyled?

"90% written, 10% freestyled."

3. How did you & Joe work as a duo?

"Well, quite basically, he made the beats and supplied the vocals. We work on lots of stuff together, not all that gets recorded. He's been my partner in crime for many years now. I go to him when I need help with beats and random computer shit. I usually know what I want and he is usually able to make it happen."

4. Why did you decide to call such a disfranchised record 'Hope'? Is this
what it constitutes?

"HOPE. That's all there is. I don't know how to explain the number of ways why that one word holds more weight than any explanation I could give it. Plus, it is our state motto."

5. You often refer to yourself in the third person, what affect do you hope
this has?

"I do? Jesus Christ...I am one of those kind of guys? Pshhh. Eh. I have to stop that. Well...I have a reason sometimes. I am referring to Sage Francis. A persona. A commodity. A label. A segment of my life."

6. Do you write deliberately to evoke opinion?

"I don't think that is why I write. It would be sad if my motive in making music was to evoke an opinion. To me anyway."

7. When did you first conceive the concept of yourself as a personal
journalist?

"I consider what I do to be artistic journalism. I am supplying information to people in hopes that they can utilize it somehow. Either to form an opinion of their own, or question what they already know. Much of what I draw from stems from a very general human struggle. I've been doing this ever since I learned how to write. There's always been an urge in me to explore such things."

8. Certain ideas and phrases (such as attending candlelight vigils) occur
several times in your records, is this a conscious attempt to translate
something or do they just re-occur in your head?

"Well, candlelight vigils come up twice in my lyrics. I attended both. They were real events in my life and both were poignant and symbolic to me. There are many things that reoccur in my head (unfortunately) but I don't wish to subject the people at large to my ever-repeating brain loop for no reason. Man, the moments right before I fall asleep and wake up are filled with nonsense repetition of a million things that have nothing to do with anything. I hate it."

9. Do you ever worry that you records/lyrics may be misinterpreted for
unconsidered, unfounded opinion or that some of your observations regarding
race and gender may be too contentious?

"Not at all. I am confident that my statements and contentions on such things will be recognized at some point, because I have made sense of them in a way that allows like-minded people to do the same. And many people have shown me that they understand. Successful communication is God damn beautiful."

10. Do you think the rise of such moronic figureheads (such as Nelly and
Jay-Z) has to do with growing youth apathy?

"I see nothing moronic about Jay-Z. He is skillful and calculative. Certain motives and philosophies of his are unfortunate, but there's nothing I can knock about his hustle, initiative or success. Well...some things. But I would rather blame the apathy of the youth on marketing agencies who cater to the naivete of the general public, money grubbing corporations who systematically stunt their mental growth, and the makers of Nelly who allow him to be the soundtrack to our meaningless lives. If you want to talk about moronic figure heads, look at our leaders. They allow this to continue. They benefit from it."

11. Do you mind being associated with the Anticon/Lex movement or would you prefer your music be seen on it's own? What do you think to their other
releases?

"I don't believe that anyone considers me part of the Anticon/Lex movement. Its pretty obvious that I am a rouge artist who works with labels/artists out of respect and intrigue. The only real commitment I have made has been to Epitaph Records, and that is a recent development. I would not work with a label if I did not respect the music they put out."

13. 'Makeshift Patriot' is the best 9-11 reaction (along with Ani
diFranco(who I noticed you reference) I have heard. What are your feelings on the current political situation? What do you consider the best was to protest against the establishment?

"Well, thank you. I put more heart, mind and soul into that song as anything I have ever done. And I did it in a very quick time frame in an effort to supply the masses with a voice of reason. My feelings on the current political situation will not change until I feel that the welfare of the majority of people in this world are being recognized and catered to. We are not even CLOSE to that right now. I am upset beyond description with the deception by the press and government we are forced to sift through. Protesting against the establishment is one step to overtaking the government by reasonable means (if that's even possible.) The apathy of the people will be replaced by a need to get involved once every single one of them is finger fucked by the wrinkly finger of our government. There's only so long that the working class can get taken advantage of before they remove the bumper sticker from their car and reject the lies."

14. Does your signing to Epitaph mean you are feeling more 'punk' or are you
listening to punk rock at the moment?

"I signed to Epitaph because they are an extremely competent label who respect my work and will allow me to access more people than I could on my own at this juncture. I have been listening to punk rock since 1996, but I am not huge on it. I definitely respect the punk rock scene. I see a lot of value in the message, the style of revolt and the integrity in certain sections of the punk rock scene. But its like that in most art movements I am intrigued by."

15. Any plans to tour England (and especially Nottingham) in the near
future?

"I will definitely tour the UK again sometime in 2004. The last time I was in Nottingham I played some dive. It was great. Skeptical punk rockers got drunk at the bar while I did spoken word and rapped with my cd player. I had a blast. After the show I walked the dead streets of the city and got in a slight confrontation with teenagers who taunted me with homo insults. I pretended like I didn't know what 'biting the pillow' meant. It was jolly good."

Last edited by Sage Francis on Tue Dec 30, 2003 1:02 pm; edited 3 times in total
Post Tue Dec 30, 2003 4:16 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

very random and unrelated:

http://www.ckforums.com/showthread.php?t=15426&highlight=sage+francis
Post Tue Dec 30, 2003 4:38 am

Jump to: