Search
Register
Puffy under scrutiny for being a shitty human. Love it.
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Puffy under scrutiny for being a shitty human. Love it.  Reply with quote  

So here's the jist: D-pity employs people in Honduras to sew his sweatshirts for 24 cents each, and then in turn...sells them for $50.

The average shitty person may look at those figures and shake their fist at J-Lo's ex-beau. Then an even shittier person will say, "Fuck it...24 cents an hour is a LOT for someone who wouldn't be making shit otherwise."

That's like throwing a quater at a homeless person and calling yourself a humanitarian, except Puffy won't even go that extra inch and raise the pay one red cent.

This guy's best friend died and the only way he could express his pain was was by rehashing an 80's hit song. If there's a hell, Biggie is waiting there with a pitchfork shaped like a dollar sign. Puffy should be lubing up right about now.

thanks to Sth Krieg for the link:

http://ad.doubleclick.net/adi/N2870.ut/B1157483;sz=720x300;ord=2003.10.28.22.03.

P. Diddy, Jay-Z clothing lines accused of using sweatshopNEW YORK (AP) Sean John, the clothing line of rap music mogul Sean "P. Diddy" Combs, is under scrutiny from a workers' rights group for allegedly using laborers from a Honduran sweatshop.

Workers are allegedly paid 24 cents for each $50 sweat shirt they sew for Combs' Sean Jean line.
By Mark Mainz, Getty

The director of the anti-sweatshop National Labor Committee, Charles Kernaghan, planned to release a report Tuesday detailing poor working conditions at the Southeast Textiles factory in Choloma, Honduras, where Sean John clothes are made.
Workers there are subjected to daily body searches, contaminated drinking water and 11- to 12-hour daily shifts, the report said. In exchange, they are paid 24 cents for each $50 Sean John sweat shirt they sew.
Officials with the clothing label said they were unaware of the conditions alleged by Kernaghan.
"We had absolutely no knowledge of the situation; however, we take these matters very seriously," said Jeff Tweedy, executive vice president of Sean John. "We have a director of compliance who will be looking into this matter immediately."
The study also found women were given mandatory pregnancy tests, and that those who tested positive were fired, Kernaghan said.
The abuses are violations of Honduran labor laws but are rarely enforced for fear of corporate divestment, Kernaghan said. His organization's repeated attempts to contact Sean John have gone without a response, he said.
Kernaghan was in New York to release the report with a worker from the factory, 19-year-old Lydda Eli Gonzalez. The two are embarking on a multi-city tour to expose what they say are harsh conditions at the factory.
According to the report, about 80% of the Southeast Textiles factory production is for the Sean John clothing line. The other 20% is for Rocawear, co-founded by rapper and producer Jay-Z and rap music producer Damon Dash.
Post Tue Oct 28, 2003 4:16 pm
fabiojonz

damnit, if he paid 24 cents to make my sean john shirt he deserves to die for selling it to me for $25.
Post Sat Nov 01, 2003 4:15 pm
DM

.....  Reply with quote  

Puffy proves once again, he's a piece of shit.

abacus
Post Sat Nov 01, 2003 4:40 pm
Billy No More

You actually bought one? ha ha haa.
Post Sat Nov 01, 2003 4:40 pm
Prontoid

i dunno.....i mean sure Puffy's a wanker.......but still you cant hate on him for playing the game.....its not like he's the only one 'taking advantange' of 3rd world countries....

its not like these people are slaves either....they can choose to stop working there if they wish..why do they continue? because the pay and conditions are probably better there than the alternatives..its rediculous to look at it from a rigid western perspective..

take Nike for example...investors use them as a measure of where they should invest because every 3rdworld country they have started manufacturing in has experienced an economic boom... surely this is in the interests of the country?

anyways.....yer its shitty that these people get paid scraps for stuff thats making a dick like Puffy millions...but Puffy didnt create this situation...he's just playing the game....which is fucked but thats the way it is...i dont think Puffy is the devil here...

anyways.......peace
Post Sat Nov 01, 2003 10:12 pm
Dialectz

How come no one ever uses Africa to make there stuff? Always China...
Post Sat Nov 01, 2003 10:34 pm
pakilicious

Dialectz wrote:
How come no one ever uses Africa to make there stuff? Always China...
and india"
Post Sat Nov 01, 2003 10:50 pm
Dialectz

Im Vietnamese. I was shopping with my mother at Macys one time, a tag to a 150 dollar ugly ass jacket said it was made in Vietname. She bought it just because of that.
Post Sat Nov 01, 2003 11:12 pm
Prontoid

because in general Africa's infrastructure and legal/political systems are too underdeveloped....
Post Sun Nov 02, 2003 12:04 am
fabiojonz

purplefacedmonkey2 wrote:
You actually bought one? ha ha haa.

in my defence it's looks good and the wiggers at school are always down to lend me money for coffee and gatorade.
Post Sun Nov 02, 2003 1:18 am
Billy No More

Pronto wrote:
i dunno.....i mean sure Puffy's a wanker.......but still you cant hate on him for playing the game.....its not like he's the only one 'taking advantange' of 3rd world countries....

its not like these people are slaves either....they can choose to stop working there if they wish..why do they continue? because the pay and conditions are probably better there than the alternatives..its rediculous to look at it from a rigid western perspective..

take Nike for example...investors use them as a measure of where they should invest because every 3rdworld country they have started manufacturing in has experienced an economic boom... surely this is in the interests of the country?

anyways.....yer its shitty that these people get paid scraps for stuff thats making a dick like Puffy millions...but Puffy didnt create this situation...he's just playing the game....which is fucked but thats the way it is...i dont think Puffy is the devil here...

anyways.......peace

That's fucking bullshit. Oh it's ok cos everybody else it doing it?

Do some research. These people get paid virtually nothing, they work in piss poor conditions, they get beaten if they don't work fast enough, anyone who challenges the authority mysteriously disappears. You probably think I'm being over the top and melodramatic, but if you read round the subject there's far too many statements like this.

YES, it does have some positive effect on these peoples lives, they get paid something afterall. However, this is the only job they can get. It's either this or starve. Therefore the companies know, no matter what the working conditions the people will have to work there. They have no choice. This is what Exploitation is.

And why not hate the player? Oh he's just playing the game? He's still making millions while his worker's suffer? Wow, what a cool guy. He still has a choice. He could still be different, stand up for fairer world, but no, he'd rather buy another sports car. Again, wow what a cool guy. But it's ok, cos he didn't create the situation and everybody else is doing it. Of course, Poofy or P Diddly or whatever he calls himself these days, could take a pay cut along with all the other fat cats, but no, they don't. They just wanna get richer and fuck everybody else over.

I am going to hate him for it. But I'm going to hate the game as well. And I'm going to hate the people who buy this shit in their never ending bid to look cool. I hope that worker's suffering and plight feels good against your skin.

Pronto, do some research. They are hundreds of books/sites on this. Read something like No Logo by Naomi Klein, that's usually found in all book shops. Then come back and state your argument.
Post Sun Nov 02, 2003 2:12 am

Jump to: