Search
Register
I Like Nike but wait a minute ATTN: Reggie
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

duke_city

I Like Nike but wait a minute ATTN: Reggie  Reply with quote  

Reggie posted something a while back that I liked on how he stopped buying Nikes when he found out how they are made.

I stopped a long time ago as well but I'm not sure what I'm buying is much better (Reeboks) supposedly made in Canada.

Is there a website that lists products (clothing, shoes, etc...) that aren't made in sweatshops and don't use child labor to make their products? I don't care if I pay more as long as I know its not a product of human exploitation.

Brian
Post Tue Sep 30, 2003 8:02 pm
hugh grants hooker

they still make reebok? haha
Post Tue Sep 30, 2003 8:05 pm

MOS

yes they do, i wear white reebok classics mister!
Post Tue Sep 30, 2003 8:08 pm
Sarcastro

see, I keep not saying anything here because I know it'll turn into a 12 page thread where no one will agree with anyone else they are arguing with but.............if you really research the matters at hand, child labour and "sweatshops" have a lot of positive factors for the people working in them as well as the country that they are located in.

I'm surprised I'm even saying anything now, and I don't want to have an arguement with anyone, but just research both sides of these "sweatshops" and realize why certain things are the way they are (the salaries, the children working in them, the workers demographics as well as their alternatives to working in sweatshops, the positive as well as the negative effects, etc.)

I'm done.
Post Tue Sep 30, 2003 8:20 pm
eggplant xanadu
try-harderator

Post Tue Sep 30, 2003 8:33 pm
hugh grants hooker

haha

i wore BKs in 6th grade. i got made fun of at first too. a few people said that the BK stood for 'black kids'. as in "the shoes are for black kids". so i got picked on for about 3 weeks... then the actual name of the company caught on.
Post Tue Sep 30, 2003 8:37 pm

Billy No More

Sarcastro wrote:
see, I keep not saying anything here because I know it'll turn into a 12 page thread where no one will agree with anyone else they are arguing with but.............if you really research the matters at hand, child labour and "sweatshops" have a lot of positive factors for the people working in them as well as the country that they are located in.

I'm surprised I'm even saying anything now, and I don't want to have an arguement with anyone, but just research both sides of these "sweatshops" and realize why certain things are the way they are (the salaries, the children working in them, the workers demographics as well as their alternatives to working in sweatshops, the positive as well as the negative effects, etc.)

I'm done.

heh, heh, heh, debate time! Just kidding.

Although I see your point. Rather than a rambling answer, I shall just say this.

Is it fair than the children who do all the work and get paid next to nothing while the fat cats at the top make millions and buy another Ferrari? Of course there are benefits to the children, they are being paid something, but they're still being exploited.

opps! Fuck! I starting debating. Shit. I'm sorry it just slipped out. Heh, heh, heh. Damn.

Peace.
Post Tue Sep 30, 2003 9:16 pm
Reggie

I wish I could say that I do not wear Nike because they are made in sweatshops, but I can't. I am wearing a no-name brand of shoes right now that might have been made in a sweatshop, might not have, but I certainly didn't bother to find out before I bought them. My reasons for not wearing Nike are no longer relevant, and the reason I posted that story about why I don't wear them was more to point out that I am a creature of habit, even long after the significance has gone. The line is:

"I like Nike, but wait a minute/ the neighborhood supports, so put some money in it"

Chuck D was really complaining that Nike markets their sneakers and clothing in Black neighborhoods and to Black people, but they do little to support Black causes and enterprises. This is less true today than it was when Chuck D said it ten years ago--not because Nike has been so giving, but because a hundred other companies have followed their lead and exploited Black neighborhoods and Black culture for their profit. It is so prevalent today, that it is hard to remember a time that it was less so...but it was, when I was younger. Even less so for my parents when they were younger. And not at all when my grandparents were younger.

All that to say that Chuck D was NOT talking about sweatshops in that verse, but an unfair distribution of wealth. Also, Apartheid was still in effect at the time and Nike was one of the corporations to boycott. So I boycotted them, feeling all self-righteous, even though this was a fairly easy thing to do when your mom is buying you your sneakers anyway. And now, years after Apartheid and the relevance of that line, I still don't buy Nike. It's a reflex. If I walked around with Nike on my feet all day, I would just feel weird. It's not Nike's fault, it's mine.

However, I DO lean towards buying Adidas sneakers, though lately the models have been so ugly that I haven't wanted any. Why? Think: "My Adidas." It's no wonder why every commercial has some "rap" in it.
Post Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:43 am
Hero

I don't rock Nike's either, but my skate shoes are probably made in a sweatshop. This bothers me, but it's so hard find shit that isn't. I just feel if Nike is making a ridiuclous amount of money and recored profits everyyear, they could open a plant in the U.S. I'm sure they could still make money and pay U.S workers a decent wage. It bothers me that unemployment is on a rise, but no companies want to open business here cause it's not as profitable.
Post Wed Oct 01, 2003 1:41 pm
emynd

eggplant xanadu wrote:

Brim Killers!

C's up!
Post Wed Oct 01, 2003 1:56 pm
Billy No More

Hero wrote:
I don't rock Nike's either, but my skate shoes are probably made in a sweatshop. This bothers me, but it's so hard find shit that isn't.

I agree. Most stuff is these days. However, I just refuse to pay ridiculous amounts of money for something that cost a few pence/cents to make. I wear a lot of no name stuff, and I don't particularly care. If people judge me negatively by the fact I'm not wearing "designer gear," then they're not the people I wanna be around anyway. I don't care for shallow people.
Post Wed Oct 01, 2003 2:19 pm
Doctrine

I rock Wal Mart velcro shoes...Everyone asks me where I got them...It's funny...I think they are called "American Athletics"...I got them in black and grey...They are really dope...Come in "wide" and cost 10 bucks...Can't beat 'em...
Post Thu Oct 02, 2003 8:27 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Billy No More

Doctrine wrote:
I rock Wal Mart velcro shoes...Everyone asks me where I got them...It's funny...I think they are called "American Athletics"...I got them in black and grey...They are really dope...Come in "wide" and cost 10 bucks...Can't beat 'em...

ha, ha, hell yeah!!! Can't beat velcro, fast and effective.
Post Thu Oct 02, 2003 9:46 pm
uptown geezus

i got those too. walmart velcro is kickin'. the only thing they lack is ventilation. but they're awesome.
Post Fri Oct 03, 2003 10:43 pm

Jump to: