Search
Register
trying to ban affrimative action what do you think?
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

sequence

the mean wrote:
sequence wrote:

My point is, do not eliminate the affirmative action programs, but rather alter them to benefit my poor, caucazoid friends too, who don't have the same good looking transcript some cat from the wealthy suburbs of Detroit does.

I'm pretty sure the MI program (as do most) affirmative action programs does consider socia-economic status.

Also, the school has an interest in creating a racially diverse student body because minorities are going to contribute different things to a class discussion BECAUSE they are minorities.

They do, but not to the extent they put the emphasis on race as far as point allotment goes. The trick to operating almost exclusively on the socio-economic basis is that it inevitably ends up bringing up the minority numbers without giving conservatives the reverse racism point to harp up on all the time, the entire time ignoring the aforementioned benefits of a diverse classroom, which also comes from poor white kids being there too might I add.

So, I think this can help to improve the band-aid effect of affirmative action.
Post Mon Sep 22, 2003 10:44 pm
the mean
Certified O.G.

sequence wrote:

They do, but not to the extent they put the emphasis on race as far as point allotment goes. The trick to operating almost exclusively on the socio-economic basis is that it inevitably ends up bringing up the minority numbers without giving conservatives the reverse racism point to harp up on all the time, the entire time ignoring the aforementioned benefits of a diverse classroom, which also comes from poor white kids being there too might I add.

So, I think this can help to improve the band-aid effect of affirmative action.

I do understand that argument, but i really have no interests in pandering to conservatives. By pushing to uphold affirmative action based on RACE we are saying that that there is inequality based on race in this country. We are making a statement that racism still exists. Affirmative action based on socio-economic status, while it does help diversify the classroom does not make this statement, and really only solves part of the problem.
Post Mon Sep 22, 2003 11:04 pm
V.

the purpose of placing affirmative action in the first place was to somewhat burn the bridge between what america was before to what it is now....

either way, racism and/or the idea of weighing people from what they are on the outside to what they are capable of in the inside STILL takes place... a catch 22 in its purest form.....

america and its history with discrimation will ALWAYS stick unless change from the ground up takes place....
Post Tue Sep 23, 2003 3:46 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2