Search
Register
Bill Maher on Johnny Cash:
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

disagreeing with the comparison you tried to make.

apples and oranges.
Post Wed Sep 17, 2003 11:17 am
Dee

dallasbboy wrote:
djdee2005 wrote:

"I wear this crown of [thorns] on my liars chair."

The fact you didn't catch the lyrics change shows me how closely you listen to music.

Cash changed "I wear my crown of shit" to "I wear this crown of thorns"

Johnny Cash - "Hurt" is infinitely better and will stand the test of time light years beyond "Cry me a River". By you proposing the converse that shows extremely bad taste on your part.

Either that or you never actually listened to "Hurt"

Brian

Dude. Read the fucking quote again. Notice use of brackets smartass.

Second, "extremely bad taste" is subjective. Hundreds of thousands of people in this country think Phish is "great music" and that they're really doing something new. Lots of indie kids think that Anticon is the only good hip hop. I would argue these people have terrible taste. But the fact is, no one can quantify taste. I think my argument is legitimate, and I don't see how you can tell me that its a fact that "Cry me a River" is light years behind "Hurt," which is a great song, yet...not nearly as entertaining to me as "Cry me a River."
You have authenticity issues, my friend.
Post Wed Sep 17, 2003 11:29 am
duke_city

djdee2005 wrote:
Dude. Read the fucking quote again. Notice use of brackets smartass.

Second, "extremely bad taste" is subjective. Hundreds of thousands of people in this country think Phish is "great music" and that they're really doing something new. Lots of indie kids think that Anticon is the only good hip hop. I would argue these people have terrible taste. But the fact is, no one can quantify taste. I think my argument is legitimate, and I don't see how you can tell me that its a fact that "Cry me a River" is light years behind "Hurt," which is a great song, yet...not nearly as entertaining to me as "Cry me a River."
You have authenticity issues, my friend.

The indie hip hop kids who exclusively listen to Anticon are unbalanced. The Phish people are hippies and enjoy the live shows more than their recorded music.

You called Reznors lyrics "stupid"?

If you listen to the lyrics and process what they mean when being sung by a withered and dying legend in music they seem to resonate so strong its like the song was written for him. Its erie and sad and somehow beautiful at the same time.

I get none of these feelings conjured up when listening to "Cry me a river" which is a dope song I agree but nowhere near "Hurt" on any level.

Brian

Last edited by duke_city on Wed Sep 17, 2003 11:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Wed Sep 17, 2003 11:53 am
Dee

And this is where we disagree.
Post Wed Sep 17, 2003 11:55 am
futuristxen

So what you're saying actually is, that you like "Cry Me A River" more than "Hurt"... not that "Cry Me A River" is "better". There's a diffrence in that. No one would have argued with you if you just said you liked Cry Me A River more. They just would have made comments about your taste in music.

as far as the lyrics:
"beneath the stain of time
the feeling disappears
you are someone else
i am still right here
what have i become?
my sweetest friend
everyone i know
goes away in the end"

those are great lyrics, specifically when Cash is singing them. With Reznor it's whiny and emo. But with Cash, lines like that in the song hit me on a level that no pop song can do. If you can listen to those lines, in conjunction with the video and not get a little misty eyed even, then you truly have a cold cold heart.
Post Wed Sep 17, 2003 12:14 pm
bobbythebear

djdee2005 wrote:
I agree.
Sadly, I only own the Folsom Prison recording.

Why don't some of you educate me instead of dissing?

And I still love timberlake.

buy both Highwaymen albums. Cash, Willie, Waylan, and Kristofferson have some of the best chemistry I have ever heard in any group.

I just bought "bitter tears", an album Johnny did about american indians. some people might not get into it so much, but it was done fairly early in his career and demonstrated his depth as a storyteller and political voice.

Water From the Wells of Home, Silver, and The Mystery of Life are all supposed to be excellent albums I am trying to get right now, and Unchained is amazing as well.

there you go dee. as for this CMAR vs. Hurt debate - you all need help. you fucked up a good thread
Post Wed Sep 17, 2003 1:14 pm
Dee

futuristxen wrote:
So what you're saying actually is, that you like "Cry Me A River" more than "Hurt"... not that "Cry Me A River" is "better". There's a diffrence in that. No one would have argued with you if you just said you liked Cry Me A River more. They just would have made comments about your taste in music.

as far as the lyrics:
"beneath the stain of time
the feeling disappears
you are someone else
i am still right here
what have i become?
my sweetest friend
everyone i know
goes away in the end"

those are great lyrics, specifically when Cash is singing them. With Reznor it's whiny and emo. But with Cash, lines like that in the song hit me on a level that no pop song can do. If you can listen to those lines, in conjunction with the video and not get a little misty eyed even, then you truly have a cold cold heart.

I agree. Yr debating the wrong thing; I don't need to be convinced how good this song is; I KNOW how good it is.
Also, whichever song is "better" is just as subjective as which is my "favorite." I believe that CMAR is a better song as well as it being my favorite of the two. I think that what Timbaland has done musically here has had a huge effect on music, one that can't even be measured yet.
Post Wed Sep 17, 2003 2:02 pm
Pizon

duck_shoe wrote:
DJDee makes a comparison of one song from each artist and you equate that with comparing the artists themselves. That, sir, is an idiotic thing to do, which would by definition make you an idiot

Assuming what he said really was "idiotic," to put it in your words, that's one idiotic comment and you equate that with him being an idiot himself.

We all say dumb shit sometimes.

PS: I'm not even taking a stance on this, just commenting on something peculiar that was said.
Post Wed Sep 17, 2003 10:10 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Bobby Anticon

He is  Reply with quote  

DeuceLeader's Ankle wrote:
still illiterate wrote:
bles wrote:
can Bill Maher ever say anything wrong? This guy is my hero... hits the nail on the head everytime.

Be More Cynical is my personal bible

tonight he said that sampling was stealing music. I agree with his stance on weed though.

he said once he was gonna copyright rhyming the words 'rich' and 'bitch' so he could make a million off gangsta rap and retire by the end of the week....

a hero i'd also love to meet and then hug and kiss him...yeaah no.

what be the weed what?
Post Thu Sep 18, 2003 12:32 am

hugh grants hooker

djdee2005 wrote:

People are allowed to have opinions. Except this one. This opinion is wrong. This is a fact. It'll be in yr history texts in the next couple years, I promise.

wow. just found this in another thread... thought you should point the finger inward on this one.
Post Thu Sep 18, 2003 10:55 am

Dee

Yuma: a joke.
Post Thu Sep 18, 2003 10:58 am
Bobby Anticon

jokes and jokes  Reply with quote  

and spaghetti spaghetti.
Post Thu Sep 18, 2003 11:09 am

Path

I hate to quote lauryn hill but...

"music is supposed to inspire"

No fucking JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE song inspires anything other than you picking up some shitty clothes at the GAP.

Now please don't put him even on the same playing field as Cash, it makes you look like a complete dullard.
Post Thu Sep 18, 2003 10:24 pm
Dee

Path wrote:
I hate to quote lauryn hill but...

"music is supposed to inspire"

No fucking JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE song inspires anything other than you picking up some shitty clothes at the GAP.

Now please don't put him even on the same playing field as Cash, it makes you look like a complete dullard.

It makes you look like a complete dullard for dismissing him.

How about this: I think Cry Me a River is better than any song Jurassic 5 has ever released
Post Thu Sep 18, 2003 11:35 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6