Register
Pledge of Alligence in schools........
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

Krang
THE ORC BREATH

Re: take it for what its worth  Reply with quote  

Drunken Friar wrote:
by disrespecting the flag it is a slap in the face to many many people.

Yeah, but pledging yourself to only one flag is a slap in the face for humanity.
Post Tue Sep 16, 2003 8:27 pm
Drunken Friar

Im not too worried about it  Reply with quote  

Im just bein honest...at the end of the day, i dont give a fuck about world hunger, world peace, iraq, the injustices of third world countries, etc, etc...i got enough shit to deal with on my own level, and i am happy to see another day. its great to post on a messege board how our country sux and everything is a conspiracy and we need to change everything, but oh well ill simply wait to see what happens

Dan

yankees suck
Post Tue Sep 16, 2003 8:35 pm
the mean
Certified O.G.

Re: take it for what its worth  Reply with quote  

Drunken Friar wrote:
read and listen for what the pledge is. Proffessing a love for your country. Alligning yourself with your country. Paying tribute to those who sacrificed so you could breathe freely. I dont see how that is a bad thing. You may not agreee with everything that is going on with this country, but chances are, you could find something to bitch about in any period of American History. This is not about trying to change policies that may need changing, it is about respect for this great nation. The Pledge is what America is at its BEST. It cannot get to be that way unless everyone is working towards that goal...one nation, under God, indivisable, with liberty and justice for all. by disrespecting the flag it is a slap in the face to many many people.

dan

Yankees Suck

Seriously, you are an idiot. I don't even know where to start. What does the flag stand for again? Freedom? You mean the freedom to express unpopular forms of speech? Specifically political speech? I thought that's what people fought for. Isn't this the "liberty" that you are talking about? And what about those who don't think people should be forced to say "under god." Doesn't the Constitution specifically forbid this? If you love this country so much maybe you should read up on the establishment clause in the first amendment. Maybe many people need a slap in the face.

PS. You Red Sox fans better go back to trying to fish Babe Ruth's piano out of the lake or whatever it is you freaks are doing to try to lift "the curse" because your team is about to do its standard fade.
Post Tue Sep 16, 2003 8:58 pm
fumbledcalligrophy

cause i dont stand for the pledge doenst mean i dont feel for the people who died for our country. Its sad that they died for such a corrupted thing. And i go to public school. Its not a cool thing. We also have patriotic day, in which i made a shirt that said "aMERICAN as the atom obmb" then it had a flag with a rifle in the stars dripping blood, and then it said...were in there blood. I was kicked out of the library and 3 classes. Cause of my right to free speech
Post Tue Sep 16, 2003 10:44 pm
FoJaR's account is broken

one of the most patriotic things you can do is point out flaws, and then help them get fixed. this is true patriotism. accepting the status quo and saying "i'm proud to be an american" is just stupid.
Post Tue Sep 16, 2003 11:00 pm
Drunken Friar

I am just sayng what I feel  Reply with quote  

and i feel that the pledge is symbolic of respecting our country. i say what i feel sue me if its empty.

dan

Yankees suck...and the sox will prevail this year...

you go get the babe, and maybe i will drill him in his ass- Perdo
Post Wed Sep 17, 2003 6:01 am
the mean
Certified O.G.

Re: I am just sayng what I feel  Reply with quote  

Drunken Friar wrote:
and i feel that the pledge is symbolic of respecting our country. i say what i feel sue me if its empty.

dan

So you go say the pledge as much as you want. I have no problem with that.

I have a problem with you saying that everyone who chooses not to should go live somewhere else.
Post Wed Sep 17, 2003 2:23 pm
Sight-C

Yeah, I live in Conifer Colorado currently. Very small town where the locals drive big 4x4 trucks with two American flags flapping in the wind and a 'god bless America' sticker. They recently passed a law for this pledge in school deal, it's wack of course. Here though, no one but a few people say it. My school is full of kids who say nothing better than 'America says we're free... but we're not.' When asked if they like the country or not. They really have no reason to but to fit in with the rest of them. They say it was wack that we went to war with Iraq, but that's all they did, say it. They weren't out protesting or anything. I don't really have a reason to dislike this country personally either, but on behalf of all the other victims out there, I do. I protested the war and prtested Bush.

I don't say the pledge.
Post Wed Sep 17, 2003 5:29 pm
DeuceLeader's Ankle

fumbledcalligrophy wrote:
We also have patriotic day, in which i made a shirt that said "aMERICAN as the atom obmb" then it had a flag with a rifle in the stars dripping blood, and then it said...were in there blood. I was kicked out of the library and 3 classes. Cause of my right to free speech

http://www.infoshop.org/interviews/katie_sierra.html
http://www.infoshop.org/inews/stories.php?story=01/11/27/7131025
Post Wed Sep 17, 2003 9:54 pm
Drunken Friar

look..  Reply with quote  

Fine, make your "political" statement in the all important forum that is adolescent High School by not standing or saying the pledge. But wearing T-shirts like that one are simply asking and looking for trouble. there is a time and a place. both examples of these shirts should not have been worn at a school. the one thing that the schools faulted in was that had they ignored them, the students would have eventually tired of trying to get attention and move on. On a day to celebrate the patriotic spirit of America, it is insane to try to make that type of disruptive point. I am reminded of a Simpsons episode where Lisa tries to force her vegetarian views on everyone by taking extreme measures. Paul McCartney guest starred and put it best. There is a time and place to stage protest and bring unpopular views to others. In school celebrating Patriotic Day was not the right time. I ask yo...What did you expect when you went to school that day? You were probably expecting the EXACT response that u got.

Dan

YANKEES SUCK
Post Thu Sep 18, 2003 2:43 pm

thanks to my freedom of speech i can tell you to shut the fuck up.

and it's not like he kept others from saying the pledge, so your little comparison is fucking irrelavant.

whatever happened to:

"I may not agree at all with what you have to say, but i will defend to the death your right to say it." -Voltaire

saying that you cant wear what you want to make a statement and claiming patriotism is fucking hypocritical if you ask me...
Post Thu Sep 18, 2003 4:02 pm
Drunken Friar

like i said, u need to pick your battles.  Reply with quote  

would you where a KKK shirt to Martin Luther King day celebration? How about a Lee Harvey Oswald shirt on President's Day? I dont think so. Wearing an anti-American shirt on Patriots day does not symbol Freedom of Speech, its shows stupidity.

Dan

Yankees Suck
Post Thu Sep 18, 2003 8:37 pm
the mean
Certified O.G.

Re: like i said, u need to pick your battles.  Reply with quote  

Drunken Friar wrote:
would you where a KKK shirt to Martin Luther King day celebration? How about a Lee Harvey Oswald shirt on President's Day? I dont think so. Wearing an anti-American shirt on Patriots day does not symbol Freedom of Speech, its shows stupidity.

Dan

Yankees Suck

Sorry, i must have missed that exception in the First Amendment. Freedom of Speech only applies to smart speech? I'll call the cops right now and send them to your place to lock you up.
Post Thu Sep 18, 2003 9:08 pm

Drunken Friar wrote:

Dan

Yankees Suck

no, its more like wearing a shirt that says "down with intolerable racism" to a kkk rally.
Post Thu Sep 18, 2003 11:45 pm
DeuceLeader's Ankle

Drunken Friar wrote:

eating Kraft singles without removing the individual plastic wrapper shows stupidity.

expressing/exercising your freedom of speech is celebrating the laws, so it is patriotic. it might not be appropriate or tastefull, but we aren't arguing manners....

by the way, MLK defended the Klans' right to express themselves, he just stated that there's a difference between terrorizing citizens and holding a rally. He defended their right to peacefully assemble. see for yourself...

this is similar to Chomsky (who comes from a Jewish background) who did not defend the Holocaust, but rather defended a persons right to defend the Holocaust....
Post Fri Sep 19, 2003 10:38 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next