Search
Register
9/11 is today
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

Dialectz

FoJaR wrote:
no, you didnt take it out of context, he's an asshole.

he doesnt care about the thousands of other people that died either. he's just an asshole.

Its not that I dont care. Im just not going to pity them.
Post Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:12 pm
FoJaR

so you will commiserate? or is that too close to pity?
Post Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:24 pm
Dialectz

FoJaR wrote:
so you will commiserate? or is that too close to pity?

Sure, why not.
Post Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:36 pm
kese

"get up, get, get, get down................."
Post Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:39 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DeuceLeader's Ankle

Just a few quick points:

1) On September 10, 2001, over 35,000 children around the world died from preventable starvation.

2) On September 11, 2001, over 35,000 children around the world died from preventable starvation.

3) On September 12, 2001, over 35,000 children around the world died from preventable starvation.
(*according to the United Nations Food Programme)

4) Originally posted by MF TOON:
"what the fuck does the suffering in iraq have to do with the fact that september 11th was the day when scheduled commercial airlines loaded with regular traveling passengers were forcefully driven directly into the path of thousands of innocent working civilians, oblivious to any fucking war."

Of the primary motives behind the Islamic fundameltalist hatred toward America, one events sticks out: The US imposed sanctions on Iraq. You should really read into the background of these sanctions to gain a better understanding of the hijackers motives. I have been working with Voices in the Wilderness for close to five years (my masters thesis was on this topic)and have found that it has everything to do with 9/11.
I suggest you visit www.casi.org.uk or www.nonviolence.org/vitw to see how the two events are connected.

5) Originally posted by MF TOON:
"people die everyday... but not a planned fucking genocide idiot."

It is a simple problem of distribution, not production or procreation.

I am not saying starvation is deliberate genocide, but the fact is there is enough food produced daily to feed every single person on the planet. Unfortunately, this is not profitable to those in power. When the WTO goes to court to ban the distribution of grain in India, leaving it to rot in a warehouse while tens of thousands Indians starve, all in the name of profit...can this be labeled "genocide"? Some believe so, some don't. The question lies in the intent.

Whatever the case may be one thing remains true: these 35,000 children died of preventable starvation, yet no one "rememebers" them.
Post Wed Sep 10, 2003 10:54 pm
MF TOON

starving children has no relevance to the title of this thread.
Post Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:11 pm
Caroline

all arguments and politcal bias' aside for one moment... do you think we can all agree that september 11th was horrifying and tragic for all of us to watch? And out of respect, can we check our our political finger pointing until september 12th, and just be quiet and respect those who died and the friends and families they left behind?
Post Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm
DeuceLeader's Ankle

Caroline wrote:
all arguments and politcal bias' aside for one moment... do you think we can all agree that september 11th was horrifying and tragic for all of us to watch? And out of respect, can we check our our political finger pointing until september 12th, and just be quiet and respect those who died and the friends and families they left behind?

but that's exactly my point: Sept 11th was horrifying....so was Sept. 10th, and Sept.9th, etc....

Out of respect, should we then "check our finger pointing" every single day? Because 35,000 children (waaaaay more than the NYC total) are tragically dying and leaving behind friends and families.

I'm just saying, we don't need to hold quiet, respectfull candlelight vigils, we need to fight to make sure the preventable starvation of those 35k children and the preventable deaths in the twin towers never happen again. period.

"Pray for the dead, but fight like hell for the living" - Mother Jones

"Don't mourn...organize!" - Joe Hill
Post Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:23 pm
SYmbi0sis

9/11 is fucking sad as hell and those who feel they need to make light of this grave situation are sickening.

what do straving children have to do with 9/11
Post Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:23 pm
DeuceLeader's Ankle

MF TOON wrote:
starving children has no relevance to the title of this thread.

Fact: Half a million Iraqi children died as a direct result of US imposed sanctions.

Fact: A number of the hijackers had spoken out against these sanctions and vowed revenge.

Result: The events of 9-11.

Relevance
Main Entry: rel·e·vance
Pronunciation: 're-l&-v&n(t)s
Function: noun
Date: 1733
1 a : relation to the matter at hand
-from Webster's

The events are related, hence the relevance.
Post Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:29 pm
bensandoval

FoJaR wrote:
i dont watch TV. did you know that it's more worth your time to just pick up a book than to watch tv? did you know that teh average american spends over one year of their life watching TV? thats such a waste of time, see if you were better like me you wouldnt watch TV. i read a lot of good books, and the reason i have time to do this is because i dont watch TV. watching a lot of TV can also have bad effects on your eyesight. i have 20 20 vision. i bet it is because i dont watch tv. ben sandoval i am sorry.

mo-fucking-ron

serioulsy though, sept11 was not a good day in american history. obviously.

i felt terrible that day. i worked for 411 for cell phones. most of the calls we took on a daily basis came from ny or nj. that was the busiest day of work. it was not fucking fun or funny. i had people calling me, crying their fucking eyeballs out asking to be the number for every hospital in new york city. i may not have helped out all that much, but i did help. the people who lost their lives in nyc and pa on sept11 did not deserve what they got. i don't think it's funny to make jokes like "oh, tomorrow is sept11, so what?" granted, there was no reason to have that shit shoved down our fucking throats for the next 2 weeks. you really couldn't get away from that shit. every channel, even fucking espn was receiving feeds from cnn or fox news. and the way they held all those cheesy tribute concerts and telethons was simply disgusting. on sept11 i was hurt by what happened, the months after mad me angry. this was no longer a massacre, it was a fucking product. i swear i thought about leaving the u.s. because i was so fed up with the way the whole thing was handled, especially this whole war on terrorism bullshit.

that wasn't directed at anyone. i don't even know what point i'm trying to get across. but it's pretty fucking stupid to say 'remember 9/11". nobody forgot, we can't, and we won't. it's been engrained in our memories because of how many times they ran the footage. i won't treat sept11 any different from any other day, and i don't know why any of you should. unless of course you lost someone then i'm sure you'll be at the cemetary paying your respects. i really don't know what i'm talking about but just chill out. yes it was fucked up, yes it was handled extremely poorly, but sitting around and thinking about does nothing. neither does doing nothing about it.

sorry for making absolutely zero sense. just figured i'd drop my two cents in.
Post Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:51 pm
DeuceLeader's Ankle

Sandoval,

word. i understand. that must've been incredibly hard for you.

i just want to point out that i am in no way trying to downplay the events of 9-11, but rather bringing them into the larger picture (to quote howard zinn)

starving iraqi children might not have much to do with the "title of this thread" but they have everything to do with 9-11. to say otherwise is to say Pearl Harbor had nothing to do with Hiroshima.
Post Thu Sep 11, 2003 12:39 am
Absurd_Life

Alright I told my self I wasn't going to reply to this one, but I lied.

The only issue here I think is relevance. To most Americans, it's more relevant that 3,000 people died in the terrorist attacks, than it is that Indonesia wiped out an entire third world country with the help of the U.S. Yes people died. Yes it hurts. But many countries have been feeling this pain for decades at least, and this whole time a majority of Americans have not given a fuck. Or at least not enough of a fuck to do something about it. My point being:

I don't agree with what people like Dialect are saying, but to all of you people who are getting mad at him and other like minded people; don't you realize you look at them the same way all of those other countries (Venezuela, Chile, Haiti, East Timor, Afganistan to name a few) look at you? Don't you realize they look at many Americans complete indifference to what goes on outside U.S. borders and get so mad they want to burn a fucking flag? They look at us - the most powerful country in the world - while we support and select one tyranical government attrocity after another and wonder why the fuck we do it. Then we have one big disaster, and what do we do? We decide to kick those same poor fucks around some more.
Post Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:02 am
zeem

hundreds of thousands, perhaps even millions if you wanna go back to the civil war and slavery, died because of america. we're still a new country i believe anything that is going to happen to us or that did happen to us is gonna be big to us at least, cuz its so rare that we have counter attacks. and whenever tehy happen, america turns into the victim and the other guys turn into the predators, when it was switched around in the first place. 3000 people did die its terrible, i lost a friend, terrible, i think america should pay for these deaths, not other people
Post Thu Sep 11, 2003 7:30 am
invisiblemcs

half of the shit on this thread makes me want to throw up.
Post Thu Sep 11, 2003 2:42 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next