Search
Register
I don't really need you cracker!
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

Doctrine

I don't really need you cracker!  Reply with quote  

To me I am bugged and minorly offended when Sage or anyone else uses the word "cracker"...Because there is a subtle suggestion of "nigger"...It's like this...He shouts "what you wanna do, stay high or lay low? All my crackers say, yee ha! my pimps say HO!"...Now I think not Sage Francis to be racist, but I am offended when cracker is used because it is like he is saying 'nigga' anyway beacause "cracka" was used as the substitute...It's like I know what he is getting at, he wants to say it but can't..."I don't need you, I don't really need you cracka", I feel the same in this line...Ultimatley he is saying "nigger" but it is masked with the word "cracker"...The use of 'cracker' implies 'nigger' to me which has obviously deeper roots and offends me...I don't know how well my point got across, anyone feel me on this? Thoughts?
Post Mon Sep 08, 2003 12:43 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
FoJaR

uhhh.... yeah...

i have no idea what you are talking about.
Post Mon Sep 08, 2003 12:47 pm
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

Cracker = slave owners who used to whip their workers with the crack of a whip

Get it now?
Post Mon Sep 08, 2003 12:50 pm
futuristxen

No. The fuck are you talking about? He doesn't say nigger, he says cracker...and he's white...and he's talking to other white people...it's done in jest.

And even so, to say that Cracker is anything even remotely as bad as Nigger is to me preposterous. It's not even in the same fucking ballpark.

White people should shut the fuck up, because they don't know a damn thing about discrimination based upon skin color. I say this as a white person, who has never had to deal with one iota of the racism that any of my black friends have had to deal with. And even them, they haven't had to deal with anything like their parents or grandparents.

I don't understand your point, I guess. Or if I do, I think its wrong.
Post Mon Sep 08, 2003 12:52 pm
MF TOON

I like when rappers use the word cracker cause it reminds me of crackers.
Post Mon Sep 08, 2003 12:54 pm
FoJaR

Re: I don't really need you cracker!  Reply with quote  

Doctrine wrote:
Ultimatley he is saying "nigger" but it is masked with the word "cracker"...The use of 'cracker' implies 'nigger' to me which has obviously deeper roots

it's still never seemed to imply the word nigger to me though.
Post Mon Sep 08, 2003 12:54 pm
hugh grants hooker

white people cant say 'nigga' because they arent one...
and now they arent supposed to say 'cracka' because... it reminds you of 'nigga'? no.

keep saying it, just dont let other races say it, because THAT would be racist.

haha

jokes and jokes and jokes and jokes and jokes
Post Mon Sep 08, 2003 12:57 pm

pericles_perry

MF TOON wrote:
Post Mon Sep 08, 2003 12:58 pm
FoJaR

pericles_perry wrote:
MF TOON wrote:

Post Mon Sep 08, 2003 12:59 pm
Reggie

I disagree that the use of "cracker" implies any other racist epithet. I think what you are implying is that, because Sage uses the word "cracker" with a degree of sarcasm, that it is a statement in general about other racist slurs. This is a big leap to make, and one I am not wholly comfortable in making.

However, I did have a long discussion with two friends of mine yesterday that is tied in with the thread "acceptable" racism. We were speaking about the usage of racist slurs by the targeted people, i.e. a Black guy calling another Black guy "nigger" or a White guy calling himself a "cracker". What I decided was that using racist slurs is not okay, but there are times that it is relatively less okay than others. For example, a Klan member calling a Black person a "nigger" is the least tolerable, since the word is being used in its subjugative sense. A White rapper calling his boys "niggas" is more tolerable but still unacceptable, since it is understood that this is part of a larger slang vernacular that the White rapper finds, or would like to find, comfortable in using. The most acceptable but still discomforting to many is a Black person calling another Black person "nigga" in a friendly sense. This is more acceptable, to me, because a) as a white guy I can't really say shit, and b) it doesn't carry a potential subjugative meaning like in the other instances.

What do you think of this? The most intolerant would say that you must never use these words under any circumstances, while the most tolerant would dismiss them as "just words", denying that they carry their own luggage with them. I think words can be very powerful, and to deny this is to kid oneself; at the same time, I am not comfortable censoring anyone. I would like to hear more about this.
Post Mon Sep 08, 2003 1:03 pm
Doctrine

futuristxen says:

Quote:

White people should shut the fuck up, because they don't know a damn thing about discrimination based upon skin color. I say this as a white person, who has never had to deal with one iota of the racism that any of my black friends have had to deal with. And even them, they haven't had to deal with anything like their parents or grandparents.

I'm not white and you just stated that you are. I have faced LOTS of racism that many BLACKS haven't even faced (my father is from India). I should be your friend, then mabye you would take your own advice (shut up) and listen to me...
Post Mon Sep 08, 2003 1:04 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
futuristxen

Doctrine wrote:
futuristxen says:

Quote:

I'm not white and you just stated that you are. I have faced LOTS of racism that many BLACKS haven't even faced (my father is from India). I should be your friend, then mabye you would take your own advice (shut up) and listen to me...

trying, but you're not making a lot of sense. and you kind of wasted a post responding to me when you could have explained your position, because so far not a whole lot of people are understanding your position on this one. You not being white, only confuses the matter more to me. What do you care what white people call themselves?
Post Mon Sep 08, 2003 1:10 pm
Doctrine

In response to Reggie, I don't buy into the "term of endearment" thing...It's a euphanism to continue the ignorance...

I still feel the same with my initial post and want to know what others think...
Post Mon Sep 08, 2003 1:10 pm
Reggie

futuristxen wrote:
White people should shut the fuck up, because they don't know a damn thing about discrimination based upon skin color. I say this as a white person, who has never had to deal with one iota of the racism that any of my black friends have had to deal with.

No one else finds this funny? I think my office is lacking in oxygen because this made me laugh out loud.
Post Mon Sep 08, 2003 1:15 pm
hugh grants hooker

MY HONEST PERSONAL OPINION

white saying nigga or black saying cracka = wrongest possible things in any sense. no acceptible way... if you do this, you are racist in my view. period.

anything else... just silly. cracka and nigga both seem to be insulting terms to me. so someone calling themselves that is just silly. not offensive, not personal, nothing wrong with it... just silly.
Post Mon Sep 08, 2003 1:16 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next