Register
Bush says he is asking for ANOTHER $87 billion...to cont war
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

the mean
Certified O.G.

Re: re: mainstream rap resistance  Reply with quote  

Jesse wrote:
Well, Eminem's critical of Bush in his lyrics which could be VERY influential, it's subtle enough that kids might pick up on it subliminally when like on the 50 cent album when he says "I'm the equivalent of Bush rapping / I bully MCs"

Also, in the Panjabi MC remix, Jay-Z says "Leave Iraq alone". That's a popular jam, at least in clubs.

Then again Rage Against The Machine was extremely popular with a lot more to say and most of their fans didn't give half a shit.

I actually find this to be an interesting discussion. I think it goes back to the indie v. major argument. If Rage or Eminem were really a threat to the status quo would their corporate backers still release their records? I don't think so. As long as these records are selling, big business is making money and the status quo is being preserved. No matter what the content of the records is.
Post Mon Sep 08, 2003 10:58 am
Awww mn

foolishness  Reply with quote  

the bush administration calls the UN "irrelevant" 6 months ago and basically bitch slaps all of our allies. Now they are asking the UN to bail them out. i hope this ruins his chances of getting reelected.
Post Mon Sep 08, 2003 10:59 am
Reason

Stanley K. wrote:
By all means Print up your flyer!!!!...
But you might want to say 20 teachers salaries--I don't know
any teacher that will work for 16K a year.

RECALL BUSH!!!!!!

Yeah dude, I was just doing it as an example.
If I got the flyer, would anyone else print and hand them out if I send it?
Post Mon Sep 08, 2003 12:10 pm
FoJaR

yes.
Post Mon Sep 08, 2003 12:11 pm
Reason

quasifoto wrote:
Bush's buddies at Haliburton should be paying.

I don't think any movement will start in hip hop or mainstream rap especially. Just not likely. Not a big enough movement anyway. Groups like MoveOn.org need more attention. We need worldwide protests like before the war, only against re-electing bush.

We gotta vote for our own regime change.

But mainstream rap is the largest market to young voters nowadays. They hear that shit in the clubs, the radio, TV, movies, everywhere.
Artists like Nelly have changed spending patterns tremendously with just sporting and rapping about the Air force one shoe line.
That is proof to me that they have the influence needed to start the movement.
I think if Eminem, Dre, Snoop, and 50 cent held a press conference about that, people would listen.
But the likelyhood of that is slim to none.
Post Mon Sep 08, 2003 12:13 pm
pericles_perry

i thnk if eminem, dre, snoop, and 50 had a news conference about how they are against the war the majority of people would not care.

i think the point you are missing is that eminem dre and snoop dont dictate whats hot, the masses do. so em dre and snoop etc have to keep churning out what sells, which is sex and violence for the most part. if they started producing records with less s&v and more political agendas i guarantee they dont sell as well and are immediately replaced by other artists who sell the s&v image more explicitly.

i dont think the revolution starts with hiphop, cause if it did it wouldve started with public enemy not 50 cent.
Post Mon Sep 08, 2003 1:05 pm
marge

I don't normally post about political things. I've never really been one to debate things like this. Honestly, I've never even voted. I know that probably makes me a horrible person. But since Bush has become president I've started to reevaluate my views or lack there of.

I live in Wisconsin and all I hear about these days is budget cuts and how people with mental illnesses/injuries are suffering because of these budget cuts. They were supposed to be deinstitutionalized in order to lead a somewhat "normal" life and now we can't afford to take care of them individually so they are going back into bigger group homes and facilities. I have worked in the mental health field for about 5 years now so it hits home with me. These budget cuts also affect our educational system from kindergarten through college teachers are being eliminated and classes are becoming larger, making it even more of a challenge for people to learn. I just don't understand how our leader and his regime can justify spending all this money to "help" another country when there is so much that could be done to help this one.

I will vote for a different president.
Post Mon Sep 08, 2003 1:06 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
futuristxen

Reason wrote:
quasifoto wrote:
Bush's buddies at Haliburton should be paying.

I don't think any movement will start in hip hop or mainstream rap especially. Just not likely. Not a big enough movement anyway. Groups like MoveOn.org need more attention. We need worldwide protests like before the war, only against re-electing bush.

We gotta vote for our own regime change.

But mainstream rap is the largest market to young voters nowadays. They hear that shit in the clubs, the radio, TV, movies, everywhere.
Artists like Nelly have changed spending patterns tremendously with just sporting and rapping about the Air force one shoe line.
That is proof to me that they have the influence needed to start the movement.
I think if Eminem, Dre, Snoop, and 50 cent held a press conference about that, people would listen.
But the likelyhood of that is slim to none.

young people don't vote. though there's a lot of them, they've never really united into an effective voting block. This nation is run by old retired cannibals.
Post Mon Sep 08, 2003 1:07 pm
FoJaR

i get to vote next year. i'm not voting for bush.

just thought you should know.

and dont misunderestimate the voting power of america's youth.
Post Mon Sep 08, 2003 1:13 pm
futuristxen

FoJaR wrote:
i get to vote next year. i'm not voting for bush.

just thought you should know.

and dont misunderestimate the voting power of america's youth.

I got to vote last time, for the first time. I didn't vote for bush either. I don't actually know anyone personally who claims to have voted for bush. Everyone's like "I didn't vote for the guy".
Post Mon Sep 08, 2003 1:17 pm
FoJaR

this reminds me of some movie where some mayor or something has been having votes submitted in the names of all the dead people in the town...

a little help here...
Post Mon Sep 08, 2003 1:21 pm
Dee

Well, there's a simpsons episode about it, but that actually happened in chicago.

With regards to hip hop and politics, Eminem and Dre, etc.

1. Eminem doesn't rhyme about sex all that much. Superman is the only pop track I can think of that he did that is particularly explicit about it. I think that not only COULD Eminem and Dre have a political impact if they chose, but that they have in many ways already. "Foodstamps can't buy diapers." -Eminem
2. Political music - not what's relevent. If music is political and GOOD, THAT'S when it becomes important. The problem is that most "underground" or independent or popular political music sucks or is too extreme to be accepted by mainstream society (i.e. Dead Prez)
3. NEVER underestimate the youth voting bloc.
In 1992, Bill Clinton went on MTV, played the saxophone, and told everyone he didn't inhale. In 2000, Al Gore went on MTV and told a black kid with dreads that music that used the word "bitch" was irrelevent. Clinton got a majority of the youth vote; Gore split the vote with Bush.
The so-called "liberal" party of the united states has alienated its own youth movement. Hip Hop COULD be its own self-contained poltiical movement if those CURRENTLY in charge had the vision to realize this - or if people from our generation realize this and start to really take the initiative. Jesse Jackson learned this lesson; he started out fighting hip hop, but began to realize that the way to communicate with the younger generation was on the same wavelength that they utilized. For all its faults, I love hip hop because its political but not pretentious, dance music that makes you think AND dance, its a way that I, a white boy from the north side of chicago, can communicate with a poor black kid from the bronx and a rich white kid from the far northern suburbs. Not that I could truely understand what it means to be those people, but it gives us a common wavelength and thread. This is hip hop's poltiical strength. It's a "big tent" allowing for people of all different backgrounds to come together with a certain shared ideological background.

Ideally.
Post Mon Sep 08, 2003 1:32 pm
Samtron

im feelin that beat on hip hop
Post Mon Sep 08, 2003 1:59 pm
duck_shoe

FoJaR wrote:
this reminds me of some movie where some mayor or something has been having votes submitted in the names of all the dead people in the town...

a little help here...

That's how Sideshow Bob got elected in that one Simpsons episode.
Post Mon Sep 08, 2003 2:12 pm
pericles_perry

hip hop can certainly have an effect on politics through youth, i agree. is hiphop going to change the way politics is run globally...i dont think so, but i hope im wrong.
Post Mon Sep 08, 2003 2:14 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next