BS food science & nutrional science: 1999
habitual jogger: 2000 - present
signs of severe malnutrion: mid 2001 - mid 2002
back on the beef: early 2002 - present

vegetarian: 1990-present
vegan: 1993-present
last time i was sick: 1991
back on the beef: never

that was not my point! how often do you physically exert yourself? reallly? i run five miles and lift weights four days out of seven.... after a while my diet couldn't maintain level of exercise. my point (although unclear) was that i was fine for 10 years, but when i started a steady exercise routine i had problems. also, i don't believe that you haven't had a cold since 1991.
Post Thu Sep 04, 2003 11:36 am
imatopos

Vegan and exercise frequently  Reply with quote  

I'm a triathlete and am currently tarining for an ironman (right now I put in 12-15 hours a week training time), and am doing it as a vegan. I haven't encountered a single health problem besides a simple cold every now and then since I became vegan 12 years ago, and I've worked out steadily the whole time. For nearly all people, veganism and vegetarianism provide you with everything you need to be healthy, provided you know what you are doing and eat a balanced diet. Trust me, I know tons of vegetarian athletes . . .
Post Thu Sep 04, 2003 1:55 pm
sinicalypse

you know what would be good right now?
Post Thu Sep 04, 2003 2:36 pm
FilthyRich

Post Thu Sep 04, 2003 2:36 pm

the mean
Certified O.G.

tinkleDRINKER wrote:
the mean wrote:
tinkleDRINKER wrote:
vegitarian: 1990 - 2002
BS food science & nutrional science: 1999
habitual jogger: 2000 - present
signs of severe malnutrion: mid 2001 - mid 2002
back on the beef: early 2002 - present

vegetarian: 1990-present
vegan: 1993-present
last time i was sick: 1991
back on the beef: never

that was not my point! how often do you physically exert yourself? reallly? i run five miles and lift weights four days out of seven.... after a while my diet couldn't maintain level of exercise. my point (although unclear) was that i was fine for 10 years, but when i started a steady exercise routine i had problems. also, i don't believe that you haven't had a cold since 1991.

I actually hit the gym 3 mornings a week, and although i am thin (i always have been) i can bench more than my weight. I spent the summer doing 15 mile hikes through tough terrain in kauai. And i play basketball a couple times a wek, time permitting. Sure i've had a simple head cold, but i am very healthy and i just get that "day before the flu" feeling and then it goes away.

All of this (and your stuff) is all, of course, anectdotel, but i am a very healthy vegan. It can be done if you are careful. But of course you must be careful about what you eat if you want to be healthy no matter what your diet is.
Post Thu Sep 04, 2003 2:40 pm
tinkleDRINKER

Re: Vegan and exercise frequently  Reply with quote  

imatopos wrote:
I'm a triathlete and am currently tarining for an ironman (right now I put in 12-15 hours a week training time), and am doing it as a vegan. I haven't encountered a single health problem besides a simple cold every now and then since I became vegan 12 years ago, and I've worked out steadily the whole time. For nearly all people, veganism and vegetarianism provide you with everything you need to be healthy, provided you know what you are doing and eat a balanced diet. Trust me, I know tons of vegetarian athletes . . .

i don't want to force the issue here, but i am well aware of how to balance my diet i am also aware that these diets DO NOT provide you with everything you need - the average vegan diet is in short supply of sulphur amino acids (Cys & met) also cholesterol is only available in from animal sources. also, i would like to know what your calorie intake is, how much are supplementing and your age and body weight. i am not trying to be a dick here, but i don't like you insuating that i am talking out my ass.
Post Thu Sep 04, 2003 2:40 pm
FilthyRich

Post Thu Sep 04, 2003 2:43 pm

tinkleDRINKER

the mean wrote:

I actually hit the gym 3 mornings a week, and although i am thin (i always have been) i can bench more than my weight. I spent the summer doing 15 mile hikes through tough terrain in kauai. And i play basketball a couple times a wek, time permitting. Sure i've had a simple head cold, but i am very healthy and i just get that "day before the flu" feeling and then it goes away.

All of this (and your stuff) is all, of course, anectdotel, but i am a very healthy vegan. It can be done if you are careful. But of course you must be careful about what you eat if you want to be healthy no matter what your diet is.

you are correct - an n=1 is not significant. and the correlation between my health and diet is only that. but out of curiosity... do you get nose bleeds... ever? how old are you? are you male or female? are your fingernails and hair healthy?... ridges in nails or loss of hair. when was the last time you had a full blood and urine workup? how were your liver enzymes? how about renal indicators? how is your blood sugar.. diabeties?

seriously - i would like to know... i am not on some "watch me bust this kid" shit.

jay
Post Thu Sep 04, 2003 3:09 pm
FilthyRich

Post Thu Sep 04, 2003 3:20 pm

the mean
Certified O.G.

[quote="tinkleDRINKER"]
the mean wrote:

you are correct - an n=1 is not significant. and the correlation between my health and diet is only that. but out of curiosity... do you get nose bleeds... ever? how old are you? are you male or female? are your fingernails and hair healthy?... ridges in nails or loss of hair. when was the last time you had a full blood and urine workup? how were your liver enzymes? how about renal indicators? how is your blood sugar.. diabeties?

seriously - i would like to know... i am not on some "watch me bust this kid" shit.

jay

Let's see, the only nose bleed i can remember in the last 10 years is from getting hit with the back of someones head while playing ball.

I am a 31 year old male.

My fingernails are strong and healthy.

My hairline is receding a little bit but not nearly as much as my little brother who eats meat twice a day.

Obviously you know much more about what goes on at a physical exam than i do, but the doctor's here at one of the finest hospitals in the US said i was very healthy after my last physical.

That's probably much more than anyone here wanted to know about me. Go to town.
Post Thu Sep 04, 2003 3:21 pm
FilthyRich

Post Thu Sep 04, 2003 3:24 pm

prolifik

"Any vegetarians here?" You'd might as well just ask if there are any white people here.
Post Thu Sep 04, 2003 3:34 pm
FilthyRich

Sage forum innit?
Post Thu Sep 04, 2003 3:37 pm

prolifik

Now you're getting the hang of it.
Post Thu Sep 04, 2003 3:47 pm
imatopos

tinkle  Reply with quote  

no diss intended--I'm sure that eating a meat-based diet is a much easier way to get the nutrients you need, but a vegan diet done properly can keep you healthy as well (for some, but not your average athlete, supplements are probably necessary). Clearly, dietary cholesterol only comes from animal sources, but I've never had any problems associated with low dietary intake of chol.--have you? If so, that's definitely a problem, but a fairly rare problem among most folks, at least to my knowledge. Most people's bodies seem to produce enough cholesterol to eliminate the need for dietary cholestreol intake. As for sulphur amino acids, i can't say I've ever tracked my intake, but I thought there were sufficient amounts of cysteine and methionine in certain plant foods, non? Plus, I thought the whole sulphur amino acids/vegetarian issue was no longer taken seriously by nutrionists, but I might be wrong. Weren't those studies sponsored by the dairy industry? :wink:

I'm 6' 2", 175 lbs, 31 years old, and I eat a ton of food because of the exercise--3,000-4,000 calories a day. No supplements. I watch what I eat because I have to in order to stay fit. A vegan does have to be careful to make sure he or she is healthy, but, then again, so do meat eaters!

Of course, the ultimate point here is why one eats the way one does. Even if someone were to show me that I would be a better athlete or live longer eating meat, I'd still stick with a vegan diet. For me, it's an ethical decision, and if my health were to suffer, so be it. But, I must say, I know many, many vegans and not one of them suffers from poor health. How many vegans/veg's do you know that work out and have health problems? And how serious were your health problems when you switched to your workout routine? Might there have been other solutions/explanations? Did you visit a veg. nutitionist? And how can you be sure that a vegetarian diet was the source/cause of the problems in the workout? Might have been the type of veg. diet you were on. And what are the dietary, ethical, and planetary consequences of ingesting the animal sources you need to get those nutritional requirements? Don't they carry their own consequences? Just because it solves a particular (and perhaps minor) dietary concern doesn't mean it's worth it.

Also, what would be the consequences for the vegan who was a touch short on sulphur amino acids? I've never heard of any major problems along these lines--that's a serious question, I'm not being an asshole. I thought the jury was still out on this issue . . .

Matt
Post Thu Sep 04, 2003 3:48 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next