Search
Register
where does the image/picture of jesus christ come from?
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

Wish Sammich

I thought that most of the images of Jesus that we see today are artistic depictions of the impression found on the Shroud of Turin. Physiologically, the image is described as a white male (I would assume because of the hair, but I don't really know much about it).

Post Wed Aug 20, 2003 1:58 am
kese

the shroud is a fake from the 1300's, images of a white jesus go back as early as the 4th century,
Post Wed Aug 20, 2003 2:04 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Wish Sammich

No one is certain of when or how the shroud was made. But since the discovery of the cloth (that may or may not be what we call the shroud of Turin today), images of Jesus have all followed a basic pattern.
Post Wed Aug 20, 2003 2:13 am
kese

lump-lump wrote:
No one is certain of when or how the shroud was made. But since the discovery of the cloth (that may or may not be what we call the shroud of Turin today), images of Jesus have all followed a basic pattern.

I watched a show on Discovery about it, I taped it actually. Scientific dating processes put the shroud in the 1300's at a time when fraudulent religious artifacts were the norm.
Post Wed Aug 20, 2003 2:26 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
kese

i found the real image of christ...after searching the internet for days, i believe i have found the one true image of christ. some one gime a high five and a cookie for all my hard work.

Post Wed Aug 20, 2003 2:28 am
Reggie

Heh, I've heard a theory that the Shroud of Turin is actually the cloth that Knight Templar head Jacques de Molay was wrapped in after being tortured to death by the king of France in the 1100's. I have also heard that the popular image of Jesus is based on de Molay...unlikely since the white Jesus dates back at least as far as 400 AD, probably further knowing the Roman penchant for rewriting history.

Whatchoo all know about the Black Virgin Mary?!?!
Post Wed Aug 20, 2003 6:44 am
admiral

thanks for the info peeps...been a real history lesson...i think i had that killah priest song in my head subconsciously...

school me on the black virgin mary...
Post Wed Aug 20, 2003 8:56 am
Wish Sammich

Reggie wrote:
Heh, I've heard a theory that the Shroud of Turin is actually the cloth that Knight Templar head Jacques de Molay was wrapped in after being tortured to death by the king of France in the 1100's. I have also heard that the popular image of Jesus is based on de Molay...unlikely since the white Jesus dates back at least as far as 400 AD, probably further knowing the Roman penchant for rewriting history.

I don't happen to believe that contemporary images of the man are based on the Shroud, but it's a theory I'd heard. I know that when found, it belonged to the head of the Templar Knights, and some just assumed (or it was told to them) that this was the Edessa Cloth. During the crusades, a whole lot of church relics were destroyed, but there's another piece of cloth in Spain that has the same DNA on it as the Shroud. Apparenlty, the Edessa Cloth (the actualy cloth that Jesus was wrapped in) was either stolen, or hidden for its protection when Constantinople was ransacked, and then it appeard as the Templar Knights were losing their power as a way of making money. Who knows...

The Black Virgin Cult believe that Mary actually came from Egypt. I think some believe that she was actually the goddess Isis. Apparently, there are sermons referring to Mary that say something alongs the lines of "I am black, I am beautiful."
Post Wed Aug 20, 2003 1:30 pm
Drunken Friar

Its wuite simple when you think about it...  Reply with quote  

If you were to try to portray the savior of the world to your peole, wouldn' t you want Him to resemble the people a little bit? Most images of Jesus look like the people from that particular region.

Dan

YANKEES SUCK
Post Wed Aug 20, 2003 3:02 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4