Search
Register
where does the image/picture of jesus christ come from?
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

admiral

where does the image/picture of jesus christ come from?  Reply with quote  

i am not really big into religion or anything, but me and a buddy were having a conversation about chrisianity and i asked him if he knew where the image that adorns every christian church in america came from?...who was the basis for our perception of what he looks like?

i kinda doubt that paintings a couple of hundred years later could accurately portray what he was like...if you and a buddy each describe the same person, you are going to have similar observations, but different ways of expressing the features and what not...

any help is appreciated...
Post Tue Aug 19, 2003 9:12 am
luke geraty

good question...  Reply with quote  

it mostly comes from a middle age based Christianity that was quite mislead (for instance... look at the crusades).

Christians at that time thought that Jesus MUST have been white because the Whites were 'better' then the others, ect ect... blah blah... basically they were foolish.

Jesus was NOT a skinny white guy in my opinion.

he was a carpenter before they had power tools.

he also was of a 'darker skinned' descent. So, I don't think he was albino.

The picture you see any many churches is mostly tradition. It dates back to the middle ages (actually probably earlier but I can't remember the things I learned in the college art class I took).

I think most respectable theologians would tell you they are highly inaccurate and based soley on tradition though.

hope that helps...

peace
Post Tue Aug 19, 2003 9:19 am
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Reggie

The most common image of Jesus in the Western world comes from the Renaissance Period. Da Vinci painted hundreds if not thousands of scenes depicting Jesus, which have become standard images today. To his credit, he was attempting to portray Jesus as a Jew, but it was a Northern European Jew and not a North African Jew or Arab which is most likely how he looked.
Post Tue Aug 19, 2003 9:33 am
hugh grants hooker

jesus wasnt white, and jesus wasnt handsome.

jesus was middle eastern.

the bible also describes jesus physical appearance as 'not nice to look upon'. he wasnt pretty.

the current picture of jesus that is in most (but not all) churches, just came straight from someone's imagination.
Post Tue Aug 19, 2003 9:46 am

MF TOON

how would you know if jesus was handsome and what skin tone he had?
Post Tue Aug 19, 2003 9:47 am
hugh grants hooker

i read it in a book.
Post Tue Aug 19, 2003 9:51 am

Bles

"the white image of Christ is really Cesare Borgia, and of the second son of Pope Alexander, the Sixth of Rome, and once the picture was shown...."
Post Tue Aug 19, 2003 9:57 am
Reggie

Why reiterate the same points over and over? The question itself implies, "I know that the commonly held image of Jesus is not technically correct or well-founded." All admiral wants to know is where it came from.
Post Tue Aug 19, 2003 9:57 am
hugh grants hooker

i bet jesus wasnt happy with him. haha

"you think you're better than me?"
Post Tue Aug 19, 2003 9:58 am

Syntax

I thought Michelanglo painted white pictures of Jesus because the Pope forced him to...
Post Tue Aug 19, 2003 10:03 am
MessiahCarey

Jesus and King Arthur hung out all the time. That's what my priest told me...it was a touching experience.
Post Tue Aug 19, 2003 10:34 am
Absurd_Life

No shit. Wasn't Jesus from Egypt? There is no way tha guy was white unless he was albino. NO wait...... I'VE GOT IT!!! Everyone thinks of Jesus as white because he WAS white. Well, half white at least. Because EVERYONE knows that God is white, and he's the father of Jesus, so Jesus was half white and half middle eastern. OK by now I'm sure everyone realizes I'm full of shit. If not, then it's because you can't hear the tones of sarcasm being expressed in my head.
Post Tue Aug 19, 2003 10:46 am
tinkleDRINKER

Reggie wrote:
The most common image of Jesus in the Western world comes from the Renaissance Period. Da Vinci painted hundreds if not thousands of scenes depicting Jesus, which have become standard images today. To his credit, he was attempting to portray Jesus as a Jew, but it was a Northern European Jew and not a North African Jew or Arab which is most likely how he looked.

best answer - way to cut through the bullshit
Post Tue Aug 19, 2003 11:20 am
mr self distrukt

according to the Gza, the white image of Christ was really Ceaser and/or the second son of Pope Alexander.
Post Tue Aug 19, 2003 11:40 am
duke_city

A while back there was a program on Discovery that tried to reveal the face of the "true Christ" using scripture and historical infomration not the Renaisaance/Baroque image.

Here is what they revealed at the end of the program.

He kinda looks like Sage.

ha ha

Brian
Post Tue Aug 19, 2003 11:59 am

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next