Search
Register
U.S. Soldiers kill Reuters reporter.
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

Dee

U.S. Soldiers kill Reuters reporter.  Reply with quote  

I wonder if this footage will ever be broadcast.

U.S. Troops Shoot Dead Reuters Cameraman in Iraq
Sun Aug 17, 7:08 PM ET From Yahoo News

By Andrew Marshall

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - U.S. troops shot dead an award-winning Reuters cameraman while he was filming on Sunday near a U.S.-run prison on the outskirts of Baghdad.

Eyewitnesses said soldiers on an American tank shot at Mazen Dana, 43, as he filmed outside Abu Ghraib prison in western Baghdad which had earlier come under a mortar attack.

Dana's last pictures show a U.S. tank driving toward him outside the prison walls. Several shots ring out from the tank, and Dana's camera falls to the ground.

The U.S. military acknowledged on Sunday that its troops had "engaged" a Reuters cameraman, saying they had thought his camera was a rocket propelled grenade launcher.

"Army soldiers engaged an individual they thought was aiming an RPG at them. It turned out to be a Reuters cameraman," Navy Captain Frank Thorp, a spokesman for the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, told Reuters in Washington.

Journalists had gone to the prison after the U.S. military said a mortar bomb attack there a day before had killed six Iraqis and wounded 59 others.

Recounting the moments before the shooting, Reuters soundman Nael al-Shyoukhi, who was working with Dana, said he had asked a U.S. soldier near the prison if they could speak to an officer and was told they could not.

"They saw us and they knew about our identities and our mission," Shyoukhi said. The incident happened in the afternoon in daylight.

The soldier agreed to their request to film an overview of the prison from a bridge nearby.

"After we filmed we went into the car and prepared to go when a convoy led by a tank arrived and Mazen stepped out of the car to film. I followed him and Mazen walked three to four meters (yards). We were noted and seen clearly," Shyoukhi said.

"A soldier on the tank shot at us. I lay on the ground. I heard Mazen and I saw him scream and touching his chest.

"I cried at the soldier, telling him you killed a journalist. They shouted at me and asked me to step back and I said 'I will step back, but please help, please help and stop the bleed'.

"They tried to help him but Mazen bled heavily. Mazen took a last breath and died before my eyes."

AWARD-WINNING JOURNALIST

Dana's death brings to 17 the number of journalists or their assistants who have died in Iraq (news - web sites) since war began on March 20. Two others have been missing since the first days of the war.

Dana is the second Reuters cameraman to be killed since the U.S.-led force invaded Iraq to topple Saddam Hussein (news - web sites).

On April 8, Taras Protsyuk, a Ukrainian based in Warsaw, died when a U.S. tank fired a shell at the 15th floor of the Palestine Hotel, the base for many foreign media in Baghdad.

"Mazen was one of Reuters finest cameramen and we are devastated by his loss," said Stephen Jukes, Reuters global head of news.

"He was a brave and award-winning journalist who had worked in many of the world's hot spots," Jukes said.

"He was committed to covering the story wherever it was and was an inspiration to friends and colleagues at Reuters and throughout the industry. Our thoughts and deepest sympathies are with his family."

Dana, a Palestinian, had worked for Reuters mostly in the West Bank city of Hebron.

Paul Holmes, former Reuters bureau chief in Jerusalem, recalled a towering, chain-smoking bear of a man with a ruddy complexion and expansive heart.

"The amazing thing about him was he was like the king of Hebron. Every journalist in the city looked up to him and any journalist who covered the Israeli-Palestinian conflict will know and love Mazen," he said.

Reuters Chief Executive Tom Glocer said he hoped there would be "the fullest and most comprehensive investigation into this terrible tragedy."

Married with four young children, Dana was one of the company's most experienced conflict journalists and had worked in Baghdad before, shortly after U.S. troops entered the city.

He was awarded an International Press Freedom Award in 2001 by the Committee to Protect Journalists for his work in Hebron where he was wounded and beaten many times. (additional reporting by Charles Aldinger in Washington)
Post Mon Aug 18, 2003 12:34 am
bensandoval

this is ridiculous

how much do you wanna bet national news briefly mentions this once if at all?
Post Mon Aug 18, 2003 12:39 am
hugh grants hooker

major media outlets cant spend time on such small things, they might miss something with the california election.
Post Mon Aug 18, 2003 12:49 am

duke_city

How can you possibly confuse a TV camera with a rocket propelled grenade!

This doesn't say much of American soldiers training.

Brian
Post Mon Aug 18, 2003 12:54 am
Wordsmyth

listen, if you are stupid enough to think that a prison that recently had been attacked by mortars is a safe place to pull out a large, black object that must be held over your shoulder (Rocket Propelled Grenade?), you get no sympathy when your ass gets attacked....
the american troops that were in charge of the prsison had every right to shoot at him, considering he had no responsiblity, or duty of action to be within the perimetered lines set by the United States.

Quote:

How can you possibly confuse a TV camera with a rocket propelled grenade!

you stupid fuck....lets see how well you can distinguish the difference between the two at a distance of about 70 yards-
and don't say shit about the "why didn't they use scopes/binoculars????" - how long would you hold back on the trigger when you had just witnessed moratrs and RPGS ripping through 2 fellow soldiers, and injuring 13 others?......
i've noticed that people on this board are quick to criticize the american armed forces, when they are out there protecting your ass on a daily basis...

please;
Post Mon Aug 18, 2003 1:04 am

duke_city

Wordsmyth wrote:
you stupid fuck....lets see how well you can distinguish the difference between the two at a distance of about 70 yards-
and don't say shit about the "why didn't they use scopes/binoculars????" - how long would you hold back on the trigger when you had just witnessed moratrs and RPGS ripping through 2 fellow soldiers, and injuring 13 others?......
i've noticed that people on this board are quick to criticize the american armed forces, when they are out there protecting your ass on a daily basis...

please;

Ok so I'm a stupid fuck for questioning the military forces I fund?

Sorry I don't play that game. I pay for this shit I have a right to criticize and discuss as I want.

I dont live in Iraq, the US troops ain't protecting my ass as I live in California.

Brian
Post Mon Aug 18, 2003 1:10 am
Wordsmyth

haha, rediculous, you would think for someone living so close to Camp Pendleton would have some more respect.
you can criticize, yes,
but criticizing doesn't mean attacking every move.....
you're trying to be controversial, so you lash out at every fuckin little thing that happens - the attack on the journalist was a mistake, but not the wrong move...
you PAY for the military.....Boo Hoo - welcome to every country above 3 world status in the world - everyone pays for it somehow, wether it is out of your paycheck, or our of the city you live in -
stop bitching
show some respect for those risking their lives for a better tomorrow...
(ooooh, boy...i can see the reply now)
"BETTER TOMORROW?....YOU GOTTA BE KIDDIN ME...YADDA YADDA YADDA."
the number of iraqis killed by saddam the past two years, is MONSTEROUS compared the number of killed by american troops - wether you like it or not - american troops firing at militants is a good break from the kidnapping and jailing of hundreds of thousands before we had soldiers stationed there....
Post Mon Aug 18, 2003 1:18 am

duke_city

Wordsmyth wrote:
haha, rediculous, you would think for someone living so close to Camp Pendleton would have some more respect.
you can criticize, yes,
but criticizing doesn't mean attacking every move.....
you're trying to be controversial, so you lash out at every fuckin little thing that happens - the attack on the journalist was a mistake, but not the wrong move...
you PAY for the military.....Boo Hoo - welcome to every country above 3 world status in the world - everyone pays for it somehow, wether it is out of your paycheck, or our of the city you live in -
stop bitching
show some respect for those risking their lives for a better tomorrow...
(ooooh, boy...i can see the reply now)
"BETTER TOMORROW?....YOU GOTTA BE KIDDIN ME...YADDA YADDA YADDA."
the number of iraqis killed by saddam the past two years, is MONSTEROUS compared the number of killed by american troops - wether you like it or not - american troops firing at militants is a good break from the kidnapping and jailing of hundreds of thousands before we had soldiers stationed there....

Where did I disrespect the US military? I questioned what happened, since when does this equate with disrespect?

Attack every move? Geez your picking a fight with the wrong guy I never said anything remotely attacking.

If the US military is half as trigger happy as you are with your pseudo rebuttals we're all in bad shape.

Brian
Post Mon Aug 18, 2003 1:29 am
squirtisblow

i think everyone misses the point that war is just fuckin stupid....theres a way out but the military clouds it, why should anyone have to die....shoot first cuz your scared to die.
Post Mon Aug 18, 2003 1:36 am
Wordsmyth

Quote:

How can you possibly confuse a TV camera with a rocket propelled grenade! This doesn't say much of American soldiers training.

Brian

no disrespect?....whetever...

and squirtisblow, why is ths war so stupid?...
Post Mon Aug 18, 2003 1:46 am

duck_shoe

Quote:

no disrespect?....whetever...

and squirtisblow, why is ths war so stupid?...

I would say that a war started for false reasons is stupid...
Post Mon Aug 18, 2003 1:55 am
Wordsmyth

I have heard dozens of reasons given for the "Bomb Saddam" war. The airwaves and talking heads are full of propaganda, spin and reasoning for why events are unfolding as they are. Let?s look at what it?s not about. At the root of it all it is not about oil. Thanks to the Russians and the Saudis we have all that we need and then some. If anything, the Germans and the French have played the politics of petroleum, not the United States.

It is not about UN resolutions. Seventeen have been violated in the last dozen years by Iraq and know one has really cared.

It is not about weapons inspectors. Saddam threw them out years ago and now that they are back it is simply a game of cat and mouse. There have been no thorough searches of the massive presidential complexes or visits to the vast underground bases and secret military facilities disguised as hospitals and mosques that are all known to exist.

It is not about "freeing Iraq" and liberating its oppressed minorities or persecuted peoples. Twenty years of slaughter, torture, rape and pillage has hardly moved the world to come to the rescue. After the first Gulf War both Colin Powell and George Bush the First exhorted the people of Iraq to overthrow their dictator. But no help was given, the tide turned, and vicious revenge and the slaughter of tens of thousands by Saddam happened within sight and sound of American troops.

It is not about the majority of the weapons of mass destruction. Iran, Syria, Libya and many other less-than-friendly nations actively seek or already have the same chemical and biological weapons Iraq has manufactured and used.

What this war is really about is the ultimate weapon of mass destruction - the nuclear bomb.

More pointedly, the reason for the fevered attempts to acquire or produce one is to fulfill the dream of creating the "Arab bomb" or in the case of the Iranians the "Islamic bomb". Each of the leaders of the Middle East seeks to become the leader of that part of the world. From Libya?s Khadafi to the mullahs of Iran to Saddam Hussein of Iraq each of these megalomaniacs seeks to unify the Arab and/or Islamic world behind them politically and militarily. They seek to follow the footsteps of Mohammed by challenging the West and its offspring, the modern nation of Israel.

To reunite the Arab and Islamic world under one banner and one leader has been the dream from the Caliphs to Nasser. For in Islamic terms there is only the world that has been conquered by Islam and the world that has yet to be conquered by Islam. Fueled by their hatred of the Jews and Israel as well as their frustration with the power, prestige and dominance of the Western world, they seek a way to stand up and successfully reclaim the prestige and power that they once had. The acquisition of nuclear weapons is seen as the way to accomplish this goal of Arab/Islamic unity and power and the assertion of their proper place in the modern world.

This scenario is widely feared by the West, and as we can see great strides are being taken to prevent that dream from becoming reality. Thanks to the policies of the last administration with regard to North Korea we are facing the ugly potential of nuclear blackmail. It is the nightmare scenario come true. Thanksfully, North Korea has no fellow nations to rally or worldwide agenda to wage. But the Arabic and Islamic world does.

There are reasons the nations of Iraq, Iran and North Korea are labeled the Axis of Evil by our President. These three nations have funded, trained, equipped, supported and encouraged terrorists of all stripes and ideologies in their shadow war against the West. Each has achieved, or is frantically attempting to achieve, the production of the "great equalizer" against Western civilization, the nuclear bomb. North Korea is believed to actually have at least one or two. Iraq and Iran are both frighteningly close. The United States and its true allies have decided that Iraq is the first to be stopped from achieving a weapon that could actually cause massive destruction in their homelands.

So, despite the rhetoric and protests, this is a war that is both necessary and important. The events of 9-11 have shown the mettle and hatred possessed by our enemies. Now is the time to show our might with the conviction that we are in the right
Post Mon Aug 18, 2003 1:58 am

Wordsmyth

let me add to this :

the war in Iraq has saved more lives than it has taken

regardlless the B/S proaganda used to involve the U.S, we're oing the right thing...

and how come you guys act like this is the only war started for a Bs reason?........History repeats itself - U.S. is a big brother
Post Mon Aug 18, 2003 2:05 am

duck_shoe

Yes, and America has nothing to do with terrorism...except for Hector Gramajo who was educated at the Kennedy School of Government at Harvard on the governments dime. And the Cuban exiles in Florida have committed hundreds of terrorist acts, some on American soil, yet they are praised by the government. They were even labelled as a terrorist group by the FBI a few years back, yet America is harboring them. Then there are the men who committed some huge human rights violations in El Salvador in the 80's retiring in Florida while refugees from El Salvador who will be killed if they return to their homeland are shipped out. The list goes on, but it's unnecessary.

As for your claim that the war was started to keep Saddam from acquiring nuclear weapons...that's all speculation. They haven't found the facilities required to create such weapons, and I doubt an intelligence service that can't find out about a huge terrorist attack on their own soil(though Israeli and German intelligence warned them) can find out what Saddam is spending his coin on. Speculation is good reason to start a war?
Post Mon Aug 18, 2003 2:23 am
Stanley K.

God bless our trooops...

War is stupid.
(first day at West Point)
Post Mon Aug 18, 2003 3:02 am

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next