Search
Register
San Jose Recap:
View previous topic | View next topic >

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Strange Famous Forum > Old Shows. Come meet the ghost of performance past.

geoffwalker

San Jose Recap:  Reply with quote  

hmm. maybe someone saw me. i was in the light blue Grateful Dead shirt with glasses. but anyways.

the show was unbelievable. sage is great live. it was a pretty small crowd with a small section (the middle, first few rows) who were really hardcore fans.

i apologize to anyone who was standing around me. i was really, really sweaty and swinging my arms around with my own little made up hand signals to all the songs. when "climb trees" came on i damn near broke some girls foot when i jumped up and landed on it.

sage had fat man sizes (XXL) in the Strange Famous Recordings shirts. i also got a jacket in XL that fits great. thank you. that merch table seems like sooo much stress. i appreciate him doing it.

Sage: my friend was the one in the ben and jerrys shirt who you asked if he had had too much to drink. i apologize if he was an ass. he can be.

we got a sage exclusive...a short little thing he wrote at kinkos. it was quite amusing.
Mullet was great.
Inherited Scars was great.
He did the verse with DJ Roux off of Still Sick. Me gusta.
Sage. what was the poem you did with the beginning and end to hopeless. the one with the line: "...i swear if she opened her eyes anymore. i could see the ocean floor" or something like that. it was very enjoyable.

many many beautiful women. i felt like i was at an atmosphere show. haha.

i enjoyed the moonies. but there set was waaaaaaay to long. it became i giant cocktease. i was hoping every song was their last.

alias came on...a special bonus treat. he did a few songs. some from DPD. i don't know where the others were from...

how is he so damn scary looking? big motherfucker...

sage: thank you for coming out. you have no idea how much it meant to me. you fulfilled my high expectations and more.

thank you.

sound off Message Board...
Post Sun Sep 01, 2002 11:24 am
maxim

hey geoff, you might remember me, i was in front of you in line and made the comment about the jeep full of girls leaving cause we werent cute enough. or my hair wasnt greasy enough (ie at all). or something. i was in a blue collared shirt. anyways..

Sage left me speechless. You fuckin rocked it for your fans, rocked it for us hip-hop heads especially, and all those songs that got under my skin on the album meant even more when i could yell them with strange famous. Im not gonna comment on the show setup, cept ill say that the whole episode from putting my name on a yellow fucking notebook pad for a 'ticket', and the rawness of the sound system was something else. Sage if you remember i gave you the 'what the fuck are you doing' look when that guy tried to suck your weenis on stage.

So basically what im saying is.. lots of boobies and best 10 dollars ive ever spent.
Post Sun Sep 01, 2002 1:51 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
geoffwalker

Maxim:  Reply with quote  

You were with the skinny guy in the J5 shirt right? anyways. i disliked the fact that the people who reserved tickets (through will call) got in after those who didn't reserve tickets.

yeah. the yellow pad was comedy..."ok. you're. um. geoff walker? which page are you on?" like it's my fucking job to remember the exact page i was on in your unproffesional set up. but anyways. that's beside the point.

yes. sage did rip it...yes. there was a really hot blonde girl dancing in front of me. when the moonies kept saying "shake your ass"...damn. anyways

great fucking show. thanks sage
Post Sun Sep 01, 2002 2:14 pm
Hagcel

A great show despite the echo chamber.  Reply with quote  

Yeah, I saw you man, I was the kid BEHIND you in line who kept squuezing up over your shoulder trying to see what was getting sold. Sage, mad props on running your own merch table, (the extra fiver was to ease my concious for 'cheating' and downloading that tracks I couldn't buy out here). There was at least one hardcore fan in the back, that would be me. Being 27, I felt like I might get arrested rushing into a crowd of sweaty over-excited fifteen year olds, so the back was fine.
The moonies served their purpose well as an opening band. They got the crowd riled up and moving. Well, Until that last song. . . Did any one else feel their eardrums liquidize from all the treble feedback on old boy's guitar? I had to go outside. I did like the fact that Ayentee got up and did that bit about using your money as a message. I picked up the Secluded Journalists CD at another show a few months back, so it was a treat to see him live.

I'm glad most of the actuall feedback problems got resolved by the time Sage went on. But nothing could make that venue sound good except a few thousand dollars of sound absorbant materials on the walls. I've had to play shows on unforgiving sound systems before, and it was a testament of patience that Sage wasn't pissing on the stage. As for Alias, that first track killed me. He was flowing over Autechre. The other song was off Other Side Of the Looking Glass. Sage, great show, glad to see you out in Cali.

-Sean
Post Sun Sep 01, 2002 2:19 pm
geoffwalker

Sean: you were maaaaaaad friendly at the merch table. can i get a number baby?

haha
Post Sun Sep 01, 2002 2:37 pm
ONE.

yo.. the show was ILL...

i was there.. dark blue drunknmunky shirt.. with my boy, and our girls.. both sportin the baseball SFR tee..

(Sage, sorry about that psycho girl that made you sign the shirts.. damn she is hardcore...)

thanks Sage.. the show was great, I can't wait for the next one... hell, maybe I'll fly you out here for it.

peaces.
Post Sun Sep 01, 2002 3:46 pm
DM

san jose show  Reply with quote  

Yes. Of course Sage put on a good show. I'm never dissapointed by the effort he puts forth live.

The place was also very nice.

I will no longer go to an all ages show. There were some dumb kids there. You wouldn't think 3 years makes a big difference, but it does.

But, if you weren't standing next to the speakers, the sound sucked. The music echoed as if you in the Grand Fucking Canyon.

Overall, the performances were dope...the sound and some of the people sucked.

That's my perpective on the night.

Abacus
Post Sun Sep 01, 2002 3:53 pm
ONE.

yo.. whoever that kid in front of me with the camera is.. I want a copy of that show.. or the guy on stage... i want a copy bad..

peaces.
Post Sun Sep 01, 2002 4:13 pm
JiggyFresh EMCEE

the show was off the hizzle jigga man  Reply with quote  

sage francis is one of the best performers I have ever seen man. The show was bananas. I especially liked the simon says bit where he said girls hold onto your dignity, YEAH I said it, hold onto your dignity. Everything was ill, I loved mullet, and pretty much everything he did. The highlight for me was probably when I shook hands with sage at the booth and bought cd's from him. I didnt have enough money for what I wanted to buy, so i asked if he could hook up the two cd's for the 18 bucks I had. He flashed a big smile and gave me the cd's. The poem that he did that geoff mentioned earlier was really funny too. I hope it goes on a cd or he posts it or sumpin. Anyways if you ever have a chance to see sage go for it. You won't be dissappointed the slightest bit. Peace
Post Sun Sep 01, 2002 4:38 pm
Say Sam Ting

what about my momma??  Reply with quote  

my younger brother yelled something to sage.. then sage said something about my mom...

I deserve an apology...

Great show by the way... even though that venue sucks... bad sound and those couches stink like wet towels..
Post Sun Sep 01, 2002 6:03 pm
Aroen

yeah, venue sucks  Reply with quote  

we were asked to do a show there on the 7th but cause of how the sound was, we've declined now.

honestly, if they had set up the stage somewhere else, it would of been better. all of the sound was going out through the main entrance. it sucks to go to a show like that if it's your first time seeing ANY of the acts there.

crowd was hyped as fuck though. people were actually screaming and shit. haven't seen a show like that in a long ass time.
Post Sun Sep 01, 2002 6:16 pm
JC

Yeh the show was hella dope -

That crazy girl was mine...haha... very pushy - I think sage was diggin' her :) haha jk.

-JC
Post Sun Sep 01, 2002 6:17 pm
geoffwalker

i'd be interested to think what sage thought of the show...

the best part was still the deep throating of the mic.

and he's always kicking shit. haha
Post Sun Sep 01, 2002 9:55 pm
qpinoyq

well, it was my first time seeing all the acts. i didn't get hyped up until the moonies performed, that was when i stood and watch. crazy show!
Post Sun Sep 01, 2002 10:08 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

that crowd was unbelievable. Cali always represents with an active and receptive crowd. The east coast could really learn something from your crowd's energy. I mean, as far as I'm concerned, the show would have been completely worthless if the audience wasn't singing along and showing such supportive enthusiasm. The sound SUCKED....We had to shut the monitors off so I couldn't hear the beat very well (which is why I noticeably lagged on a couple of the songs)

I also had some very cool friends in the crowd. Alias rocked it. Moodswing 9 was there. Team Berkley and poet Rachel Kann were in attendance.

The promoters of this event hooked me up. Flew me first class. Put me in the Double Tree hotel. Plush.

I am official jiggy. Check out my platinum gold
Post Sun Sep 01, 2002 10:19 pm

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next