Search
Register
"rap retards black success."
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

August Spies

"rap retards black success."  Reply with quote  

Quote:

What struck me most, though, was how fully the boys’ music—hard-edged rap, preaching bone-deep dislike of authority—provided them with a continuing soundtrack to their antisocial behavior. So completely was rap ingrained in their consciousness that every so often, one or another of them would break into cocky, expletive-laden rap lyrics, accompanied by the angular, bellicose gestures typical of rap performance. A couple of his buddies would then join him. Rap was a running decoration in their conversation.

Many writers and thinkers see a kind of informed political engagement, even a revolutionary potential, in rap and hip-hop. They couldn’t be more wrong. By reinforcing the stereotypes that long hindered blacks, and by teaching young blacks that a thuggish adversarial stance is the properly “authentic” response to a presumptively racist society, rap retards black success.

I'm not endorssing this authors claims, just thought you guys might find this interesting.
Post Wed Aug 06, 2003 12:09 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
August Spies

oops here is the link http://www.city-journal.org/html/13_3_how_hip_hop.html
Post Wed Aug 06, 2003 12:12 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dee

The most dangerous thing, not JUST to black political movement but to all youth political movements is to dismiss the younger generation as unpolitical products of video games and "rap music."
Post Wed Aug 06, 2003 12:13 am
Machiavel

pure ignorance you quoted. Especially the "they couldnt be more wrong..." statement.

The author just wrote that bullshit to get some attention, he probably heard that asshole on fox talk about how rap is an assasin of youth, and how its just a fad and it wont be around in a couple years like fleetwood mac... I forget the fucker that did that bit on fox. This guy just seems to be jumping on the bandwagon.

He makes outrageous claims without providing any backup. he ignorantly blames rap for black attitude and position in societey withought thinking that the converse of his statement is the more likely conclusion.

he goes and eats in a prominently black neighborhood and is supprised to hear black kids cursing and acting crass skipping class. We did that shit in highschool in a pretty fuckin rich part of town. This guy is a dumbass. i hope no one heeds what he says. He doesnt know shit about what he writes about and its sad that this is what "journalism" has become.

Last edited by Machiavel on Wed Aug 06, 2003 12:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Wed Aug 06, 2003 12:14 am
eimfawcd

i'm guessing the person who wrote that was probably black himself or better yet, hmm... could be ward connerly or clarence thomas may be dionne warwick . and yes i realize i'm also typecasting the writer into being a blak (i spelled it this way for a reason) conservative but alas someone should.

Last edited by eimfawcd on Wed Aug 06, 2003 12:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Wed Aug 06, 2003 12:21 am
August Spies

ah... now that im halfway through the article it is pretty stupid and not really wroth reading.

nevermind.
Post Wed Aug 06, 2003 12:21 am
Machiavel

possibly the most ignorant statement in the entire article

Quote:

Hip-hop creates nothing.
Post Wed Aug 06, 2003 12:35 am
FoJaR

i was looking for a blackalicious lyric, cant remember what it was or it would be posted. it's either off blazing arrow or the a to g ep, cant remember more than that.
Post Wed Aug 06, 2003 1:13 am
TILTEDmurder

that dipshit should listen to some of tupac's lyrics.
Post Wed Aug 06, 2003 4:29 am
klausmorgan

How many of you actually read the article?
Machiavel wrote:
He makes outrageous claims without providing any backup. he ignorantly blames rap for black attitude and position in societey withought thinking that the converse of his statement is the more likely conclusion.
He addresses this specifically:
Quote:

It would be silly, of course, to blame hip-hop for this sad downward spiral, but by glamorizing life in the “war zone,” it has made it harder for many of the kids stuck there to extricate themselves. Seeing a privileged star like Sean Combs behave like a street thug tells those kids that there’s nothing more authentic than ghetto pathology, even when you’ve got wealth beyond imagining.
Sure, this guy has his own axe to grind, and some of the stuff he says is a bit laughable, but the point he's making is, I would argue, a valid one worthy of consideration at the very least.

It is difficult to deny that typical mainstream rap absoultely glorifies gang life, drugs, ghetto violence, and all these many other things. If you don't think that this makes an impression on children who listen to it then you're being naive. As a parallel, do you think that as many people would become doctors or firemen if our culture didn't present these as being important, glamourous professions? The fact is that the way that lifestyles are portrayed does have a significant impact on how many people choose to live them.
Post Wed Aug 06, 2003 3:22 pm
Jesse

You're out of touch. Typical mainstream rap glorifies designer brands, rims, jewellery and fat asses above all else.
Post Wed Aug 06, 2003 3:46 pm
Machiavel

klausmorgan wrote:

It is difficult to deny that typical mainstream rap absoultely glorifies gang life, drugs, ghetto violence, and all these many other things. If you don't think that this makes an impression on children who listen to it then you're being naive. As a parallel, do you think that as many people would become doctors or firemen if our culture didn't present these as being important, glamourous professions? The fact is that the way that lifestyles are portrayed does have a significant impact on how many people choose to live them.

yes i rad the whole thing. His hypothesis is rediculus, which was my point. He says NOTHING to back up his point, he acts like he is some expert on inner city life, and has done some studies or something that would prove that the type of music you listen to is the direct cause for your actions.

If your going to make an accusation like that you need at least some sort of tangible evidence, not just a rediculus hypothesis by some guy who probably doesnt know shit about living in the inner city, or about rap and or hip hop music. Anything, a study, or at least some kind of comparison. All he does is say "during the equal rights movement blacks were peacefull ..." which is not a valid comparison as during the civil rights movement blacks still didnt have the full freedoms of expression. Mabey they did in theorey, but you think they wouldnt have gotten killed, or assasinated, or otherwise.

anyway my point is not only is his hypothesis stupid as hell, he does nothing to back it up. He might as well start every sentence with "i think" because thats all the whole article is. His bullshit opinion.
Post Wed Aug 06, 2003 4:43 pm
Soul Khansenses

Jesse wrote:
You're out of touch. Typical mainstream rap glorifies designer brands, rims, jewellery and fat asses above all else.

Thank god for the last one.
Post Wed Aug 06, 2003 4:49 pm
klausmorgan

Jesse wrote:
Maybe so. I'll confess that I try not to listen to mainstream rap more than the culture demands that I do. Still, though, I would argue that designer brands, rims, jewelry and fat asses are all still part of the same gangster image. The way to make enough money to get these things is as a gangster, or as a gangster rapper.
Quote:

anyway my point is not only is his hypothesis stupid as hell, he does nothing to back it up. He might as well start every sentence with "i think" because thats all the whole article is. His bullshit opinion.
Do you have any studies to back up your statements? Hard facts? Statistics? If so, I would be honestly interested in seeing them, but my impression of the situation as a whole is that when it comes to the connection between the mainstream hiphop world and black social behavoir, very little actual hard research has been done to prove any point of view, leaving the grounds open to do just what he is doing in this article: Speculating.

I agree that his suggestion that everything was peaceable and wonderful in the past is ridiculous. However, his being wrong on this does not necessarily mean that rap music doesn't play a role in re-enforcing a self-defeating pattern of behavoir among black people in our country.
Post Thu Aug 07, 2003 12:53 am
themanifestdestiny

sieve  Reply with quote  

I found most of it to be pretty ridiculous, but the part where he points out that music (I'll pretend like he means all music, not just rap) has taken a much more violent turn caught my attention. I realize I'd have to be half drowned in chocolate pudding to not know this, but still. People have always had shitty lives. No way you can convince me slavery was somehow better than racial profiling. But reactions have become much different. I was thinking about that point earlier tonight though too. I can't wait for the water cycle to begin again.
Post Thu Aug 07, 2003 1:58 am

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next